I need some help--going shampooless

ninerfanninerfan Registered Users Posts: 3
Hey I have looked through this stuff a little bit and really have no desire to buy a million products. I'm a guy...its in our nature. Anyways, when I was littler, I had super curly hair. My mom cleaned it back then so I have no idea how she did it. Now its pretty frizzy and matty (if those are even the right words? not up on the hair lingo). Basically it gets curlier overnight bc I'm a hot sleeper and then I wash out all the oils or w/e are in there and it gets drier and flatter. Also tough to deal with.

Can somebody explain to me what to do? I think my hair is either 2a or 2b at the moment. I'll upload a couple pics to show you.

back in the day:
http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy212/WiltonDeportes/asdasdfa.jpg
http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy212/WiltonDeportes/26249_388762509384_645579384_374012.jpg
http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy212/WiltonDeportes/20965_257429324384_645579384_325960.jpg

a year ago, but basically how it is now:
http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy212/WiltonDeportes/3233_698924183271_10058007_44604294.jpg
http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy212/WiltonDeportes/3233_698924218201_10058007_44604297.jpg

PS Please no abbreviations

Comments

• 85MR285MR2 Registered Users Posts: 226
    To keep it as simple as possible for you this is what I would do.

Get a non-sulfate shampoo, ones I've heard suggested are Giovanni 50:50, or Kiss my Face Big Body (drugstore products, nothing fancy). Then try to only use it once a week or so, or as needed. I don't wash at all but some need it now and again.

Get a conditioner that is silicone-free*. On the days you don't shampoo, wash with this instead. Take a good sized amount, apply to scalp and scrub really well adding a little water as you go. Rinse out all the way while still scrubbing scalp with fingertips.

*(Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut or Refreshing Tangerine are good, or I think all the VO5 conditioners are silicone free. Both are well under $2)

After you get out of the shower don't use a towel on your hair. Instead apply a little silicone-free gel or mousse* evenly through your hair raking it in with your fingers. Then use a t-shirt to scrunch out the extra water and allow to air dry. Use a gel for a heavier hold, or mousse if you prefer a lighter feel. If you feel at all crunchy after it dries you can scrunch your hair with your hands and it will go away. Personally I hate feeling like I have product in my hair.

*Herbal Essences Totally Twisted gel and mousse are both silicone free. So is LA Looks sports gel.

Anyhow, it seems like a lot but it's not. Just try to shampoo less (if it all), washing with conditioner in-between shampoos. Sulfate-free shampoos are best for when and if you need to. Put in a little product before you dry, and dry with a t-shirt afterwards. Airdrying is always best!

Good luck to you, it seems overwhelming because it's a little different, but it can be kept VERY simple and basic! It brought my curls back within a week or two, but I saw progress every day.
    CG since 2/23/10!

2B 3A mix, fine texture and high porosity at crown/bangs, normal elsewhere. I like protein!

Trying to grow out a short haircut.

WASH: Jessicurl Cleansing Cream (once every week or so)
    CONDITION: Jessicurl Too Shea! or Aloeba Conditioner
    STYLE: Jessicurl Gelebration Spray/Awe Inspiraling Spray

http://public.fotki.com/85MR2/ (PICS OF CG TRANSITION SO FAR) Need to update. No pics with the Jessicurl products yet, but I LOVE them!
  • ninerfanninerfan Registered Users Posts: 3
    85MR2 wrote: »
    To keep it as simple as possible for you this is what I would do.

Get a non-sulfate shampoo, ones I've heard suggested are Giovanni 50:50, or Kiss my Face Big Body (drugstore products, nothing fancy). Then try to only use it once a week or so, or as needed. I don't wash at all but some need it now and again.

Get a conditioner that is silicone-free*. On the days you don't shampoo, wash with this instead. Take a good sized amount, apply to scalp and scrub really well adding a little water as you go. Rinse out all the way while still scrubbing scalp with fingertips.

*(Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut or Refreshing Tangerine are good, or I think all the VO5 conditioners are silicone free. Both are well under $2)

After you get out of the shower don't use a towel on your hair. Instead apply a little silicone-free gel or mousse* evenly through your hair raking it in with your fingers. Then use a t-shirt to scrunch out the extra water and allow to air dry. Use a gel for a heavier hold, or mousse if you prefer a lighter feel. If you feel at all crunchy after it dries you can scrunch your hair with your hands and it will go away. Personally I hate feeling like I have product in my hair.

*Herbal Essences Totally Twisted gel and mousse are both silicone free. So is LA Looks sports gel.

Anyhow, it seems like a lot but it's not. Just try to shampoo less (if it all), washing with conditioner in-between shampoos. Sulfate-free shampoos are best for when and if you need to. Put in a little product before you dry, and dry with a t-shirt afterwards. Airdrying is always best!

Good luck to you, it seems overwhelming because it's a little different, but it can be kept VERY simple and basic! It brought my curls back within a week or two, but I saw progress every day.

Thank you for responding! Now what about frequency? I shower in the morning and evening. How often should I condition, put in gel?

Also, I am supposed to put in the gel while I am dripping wet?
    ninerfan wrote: »
    Thank you for responding! Now what about frequency? I shower in the morning and evening. How often should I condition, put in gel?

Well, nothing is set in stone. It is all trial and error. This is all just a recommended starting point...

Tangent:

Think of the conditioner washing as a WASH, not a condition. The conditioner you will use is thin, and meant to remove dirt and excess oil gently as you scrub. That's why you scrub it in and as you rinse it out. It won't really moisturize, it just won't dry you out. If you want you can follow with a heavier conditioner to moisturize*. Now this is the important part: If you aren't going to shampoo at all, it is important to keep your products 100% silicone free. The conditioner wash won't remove most silicones. I would buy a sulfate-free shampoo even if you don't intend on using it, just in case you get build-up.

*I use Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition CREME Conditioner as my conditioner AFTER I wash with the Suave or VO5. It's like how before you shampooed then conditioned. You still can, you just wash with conditioner then condition.

OK, to your questions...

#1: As often as you need. Once a day or every other day at first. When you don't wash (with conditioner or shampoo) just rinse really well, running your hands through your hair and gently rubbing your scalp. Then gel or mousse if you wish and t-shirt scrunch dry like normal. If you are showering before you go to bed, and you know you will shower in the AM there's really no point in putting product in. Otherwise I put in product (mousse for me) after every time I wet my hair.

#2: Yes, put the gel or mousse in while soaking wet, then scrunch w/ t-shirt.

Oh, I just remembered. DON'T USE A BRUSH!!!!!! If you need to comb either do it in shower with conditioner in, or after you put in gel or mousse but before you scrunch dry. And don't touch your hair when it's drying. Wait until it's 100% dry then scrunch some if it's crunchy.
    CG since 2/23/10!

2B 3A mix, fine texture and high porosity at crown/bangs, normal elsewhere. I like protein!

http://public.fotki.com/85MR2/ (PICS OF CG TRANSITION SO FAR) Need to update. No pics with the Jessicurl products yet, but I LOVE them!
  • ninerfanninerfan Registered Users Posts: 3
    85MR2 wrote: »
    ninerfan wrote: »

Well, nothing is set in stone. It is all trial and error. This is all just a recommended starting point...

Tangent:

Think of the conditioner washing as a WASH, not a condition. The conditioner you will use is thin, and meant to remove dirt and excess oil gently as you scrub. That's why you scrub it in and as you rinse it out. It won't really moisturize, it just won't dry you out. If you want you can follow with a heavier conditioner to moisturize*. Now this is the important part: If you aren't going to shampoo at all, it is important to keep your products 100% silicone free. The conditioner wash won't remove most silicones. I would buy a sulfate-free shampoo even if you don't intend on using it, just in case you get build-up.

*I use Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition CREME Conditioner as my conditioner AFTER I wash with the Suave or VO5. It's like how before you shampooed then conditioned. You still can, you just wash with conditioner then condition.

OK, to your questions...

#1: As often as you need. Once a day or every other day at first. When you don't wash (with conditioner or shampoo) just rinse really well, running your hands through your hair and gently rubbing your scalp. Then gel or mousse if you wish and t-shirt scrunch dry like normal. If you are showering before you go to bed, and you know you will shower in the AM there's really no point in putting product in. Otherwise I put in product (mousse for me) after every time I wet my hair.

#2: Yes, put the gel or mousse in while soaking wet, then scrunch w/ t-shirt.

Oh, I just remembered. DON'T USE A BRUSH!!!!!! If you need to comb either do it in shower with conditioner in, or after you put in gel or mousse but before you scrunch dry. And don't touch your hair when it's drying. Wait until it's 100% dry then scrunch some if it's crunchy.

Alright I'll give it a try. The funny thing is that I was doing literally the opposite of what you are telling me by just shampooing with Pert Plus and then rubbing my hair when I got out into a mini afro. Thanks though. And I learned at a very young age to not even touch a comb haha.
  • plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    I'd simplify it a little more and use a shower cap when you shower at night. There's really no need to wash your hair twice a day, and if you're just gonna do it again in the morning, why bother even wetting your hair the night before when you're just going to bed? If you're going out for the evening and your hair feels dirty and you want to wash again, I suppose it's alright then, but I'd probably just stick with a water wash and good scrub.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Let us know how it goes! :)
    CG since 2/23/10!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file