So I just bought Coconut Oil...now what??!

tarc817tarc817 Posts: 300Registered Users
I found a "recipe" online for a spray that consists of:

1 cup purified water
1/2 tbsp conditioner or coconut oil
1-2 drops lavender essential oil

Combine in an 8oz spray bottle

So I ordered coconut oil & lavender essential oil from a vitamin website, and just got it - the coconut oil is rock solid in the container! How will this work?? I'm assuming I have to heat the coconut oil to get it to a liquid form, but then how would I mix it with the other ingredients and prevent it from hardening again? Does the water do that? I'm so confused. And I don't want to waste my money and return it...help!!
3a/3b*Thick & Coarse*Low Porosity
COwash: DevaCurl NoPoo
Condish: DevaCurl One, TRESemme Naturals Conditioner, AOHR
LI: KCKT & DevaCurl B'Leave In
Style: DevaCurl AnGEL, HEBE, HESMU, Joico Joiwhip, DevaCurl Set it Free, TRESemme Naturals Finishing Spray
CG since: 3/20/10

Comments

• curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    tarc817 wrote: »
    I found a "recipe" online for a spray that consists of:

1 cup purified water
    1/2 tbsp conditioner or coconut oil
    1-2 drops lavender essential oil

Combine in an 8oz spray bottle

So I ordered coconut oil & lavender essential oil from a vitamin website, and just got it - the coconut oil is rock solid in the container! How will this work?? I'm assuming I have to heat the coconut oil to get it to a liquid form, but then how would I mix it with the other ingredients and prevent it from hardening again? Does the water do that? I'm so confused. And I don't want to waste my money and return it...help!!

if you scoop out the amount of coconut oil and then heat it in a double boiler (it wont take long - probably even just putting it in a container on top of a pot of hot water will melt it) and then combine. This isn't a whole lot of product and you'll probably use it up (or nearly) in one spray. The coconut oil won't harden up again (at least I haven't found that it does). I would maybe keep in the fridge if you have any left and if necessary you could pop the spray bottle in a cup of hot water to melt the coconut again if that happens. Don't keep for too long tho as there is no preservative in it. (you'll know by the smell if it is a bit dodgy). HTH :compress:
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyhairmichuk/
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • tarc817tarc817 Posts: 300Registered Users
    Great ideas! Thank you so much - never even thought of a double broiler, I just thought to microwave, but I was figuring that would be too messy and I'd over heat it. Thanks again!
    3a/3b*Thick & Coarse*Low Porosity
    COwash: DevaCurl NoPoo
    Condish: DevaCurl One, TRESemme Naturals Conditioner, AOHR
    LI: KCKT & DevaCurl B'Leave In
    Style: DevaCurl AnGEL, HEBE, HESMU, Joico Joiwhip, DevaCurl Set it Free, TRESemme Naturals Finishing Spray
    CG since: 3/20/10
  • savvybrownsavvybrown Posts: 33Registered Users
    Hey ladies I'm having a coconut oil giveaway on my blog starting today! It's 1.5lbs of organic coconut oil. (That's a $44 value!) Check it out when you get a chance!
    nutiva14.jpg

The link to the giveaway is here. OR you can just click on the link in the footer.

Good luck!

- savvy
    http://savvybrown.com
    One woman's journey to a greener, healthier life...on a budget.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file