2-Strand Twist Divas....

Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Posts: 662Registered Users
I just put my hair into 2-strand twists over the weekend, and this is the 1st time in many many months that I have been able to keep the twists in for over 3 days! :laughing8: The longest I have kept them in before is about 2 - 3 weeks, but that was when my hair was much shorter.

For those of you who wear 2-strand twists exclusively or most of the time, what is the longest you have kept your hair in 2-strand twists and why, and how?

Do you refresh your twists one at a time or do you take them all down and start over from scratch? Why?

I'm trying to step up my twist and PS game, so any advice and input is appreciated.
My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
EVOO
HEHH
TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
Aloe Vera Gel
Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]

Comments

• CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    The longes I have had twists in my hair is a a little more than 3 weeks. I washed them, conditioned them. THey got fuzzy but thats always gonna happen, I don't fight it. If I wanted to refresh, I would only do the edges and maybe some random pieces. I like this style a lot. I like to do them really small so that motivates me to keep them in longer. The smaller they are for me is the longer they last or the longer I make them last. Good low maintenence style. Its best to start on blow dried hair for length and easieness. When my hair is wet and I start its just hard to keep it neat and I'd have to detangle several times
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Posts: 662Registered Users
    I did my twists on freshly co-washed hair. I did the twists kind of small and I added Long Aid Activator gel to each section while twisting. Since initially doing my twists on Saturday I have redone a few to make them smaller, but nothing major. My hair still looks pretty fresh too, since I used the curl activator gel. I haven't even slept with a bonnet on - just my satin pillow case.

I guess I'll see how long I can hang.
    My Fotki

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • NikG20NikG20 Posts: 461Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Good thread.

I've been thinking about twisting or doing box braids on DD's hair in a couple of weeks. The longest I have left her twists (sistertwists) in was I think a week, but I was hoping for a little longer. Not sure if I want to do the twists or braids. It seems the braids probably last longer but she had box braids not too long ago. Guess I'll check in for more replies.
    Hz5exYvWIb4
    Children's Natural Hair Care & Styling Blog:
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    I've actually never done my twists with a gel. I may try that because I got some of that Koils By Nature gel. Only thing is that I trimmed like 2 inches before I put in kinky twists so I hope I get some good growth by the end of April because thats when I'm taking these out.

I like the look of box braids. But personally I find them much harder to put in and even longer to take out.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • MoHair09MoHair09 Posts: 92Registered Users
    My 4 yr daughter likes for me to put twist in her hair as well.. I find it quicker and easier to take out then box plaits. I cant even keep hers in for a week bc they start to look messy. I am almost certain I havent used gel on her hair.

Shes not really a ponytail girl- she prefer twist over anything yet. I do braid her hair and that last a wk - It could go longer but I wash her hair once a wk.. Shes very picky about her hair:laughing9: and she is natural
    Affordable fashion jewelry & more http://www.dagoddessboutique.com/
  • MrsComboCurlzMrsComboCurlz Posts: 625Registered Users
    I call myself "Queen of Protective Styling" because this is mainly how I wear my hair. No "WnG's" nah none of that...I've kept mine in 2 weeks the longest but usally go 1 week. Refreshing the front & nape area (doing over). I don't do it very small but small enough to last & look great for that long. To achieve that my go-to products are DB's leave-in cond & twisting w/ DB's Pomade, the hold of the pomade is crazy...I don't even have to use a gel. Through the week I'll spritz Oyin's Frank & Myrrh here and there & oil my scalp. I then rock a Twist out for about 3 days after...then start over.But when going for medium/large twist I have other products I turn too. You'll perfect it soon enough...keep trying!!!
    *Cleanse: BoBeam, Giovanni Tea-Tree
    *Rinse Cond: Herbal Essence HH
    *Deep Cond: Deity America (green tub), CRN Algae Hair Mask
    *Leave-in's: Soultanicals, Pura Body Naturals, Alikay Naturals Lemon-grass spritz
    *Twisting: Obia Naturals TWB, PBN Cupuacu Butter, Camille Rose
    *Treatment: Henna/Amla/Cassia/Brahmi
    * LCSO Method
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The longest for me is closer to 3 weeks, but I generally leave them in for a week(or wear them for like 3 days and wear a twist out for the remainder), and then cowash and restyle at the end of the week.

I keep my hair covered at night with a satin scarf and moisturize every day(and in the evenings). How long i can keep it in depends on my scalp. Since I just hennaed, I can probably leave it in for two weeks without issue because henna is an anti-fungal and keeps my seborrheic dermatitis at bay and my scalp very clear.

After a week though, my hair tends to smooth out(almost straighten at the roots, and I get flyways that look like halo-frizz, even though it's not frizzy per se. So that makes it difficult sometimes to wear twists in longer, unless I cowash with the twists still in, which is something I've done with good results as well.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The longer I've had in twists was 2 weeks and then I wore the twist out for another week. I usually dont' redo them one at a time because I like to wear the twist out. It's like getting a whole new style without doing hardly any extra work! :)
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
  • Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Posts: 793Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The longest I've gone is 10 days. It didn't work for me. My hair is too soft for twist to go beyond a week, they start looking rough like I've been trapped in a basement for months. I do wear a scarf to sleep every night but for whatever they just start looking fuzzy. I twist with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] or coconut oil and seal with shea or shealoe
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Posts: 662Registered Users
    Thanks for all of the replies and info ladies!!!

CocoT wrote: »
    I've actually never done my twists with a gel. I may try that because I got some of that Koils By Nature gel. Only thing is that I trimmed like 2 inches before I put in kinky twists so I hope I get some good growth by the end of April because thats when I'm taking these out.

I like the look of box braids. But personally I find them much harder to put in and even longer to take out.

I used to twist with iC Fantasiagel, but the Long Aid Activator gel gave my twists a smoother, more "finished" look.

The longest for me is closer to 3 weeks, but I generally leave them in for a week(or wear them for like 3 days and wear a twist out for the remainder), and then cowash and restyle at the end of the week.

I keep my hair covered at night with a satin scarf and moisturize every day(and in the evenings). How long i can keep it in depends on my scalp. Since I just hennaed, I can probably leave it in for two weeks without issue because henna is an anti-fungal and keeps my seborrheic dermatitis at bay and my scalp very clear.

After a week though, my hair tends to smooth out(almost straighten at the roots, and I get flyways that look like halo-frizz, even though it's not frizzy per se. So that makes it difficult sometimes to wear twists in longer, unless I cowash with the twists still in, which is something I've done with good results as well.

I get this frizz too. Sometimes I like it though. LOL :afro: Yeah, I have co-washed with the twists still in, and it was almost too easy to be legal.
    My Fotki

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • MsCurl83MsCurl83 Posts: 289Registered Users
    I must be the only one who twists won't cooperate. I'm lucky if I get a 3 day trial. Though the first time I went natural my twists held longer I think, but back then I was using sulfate shampoos and silicone conditioners and weeky conditioning with cholessterol and twisting constantly. Now my hair is different altogether this second time around, no sulfate poos, still slight cone condish, no cholesterol, natural ingredients that work, a cleaner scalp. today it felt as if my hair was weightless and I could feel the wind against my scalp. Besides that my curl pattern has changed too, I can't identify it, but then I wouldn't be so sure anyway. But 2 or 3 days, maybe with the product regimen I have now and if I twist like the stylists instead of being lazy they might last longer for me. idk.
    "My hair is a reflection of my personality:
    wild, free and beautiful."

Hair Type: S + Z = Crazy Beautiful
    Hair Goal: Improve health!! Kill the knots!!!
    BSL now
    As of 6/24/12: Protective styles for summer
    Achieving Curls: Terressentials Mud HAir Wash (the business! Terressentials.com) Giovanni 50/50 Cndtr (retired) KBN Shealoe LCndtr (on probation) Still perfecting the process.
    Shoutout to FLAXSEEDS!!!! YOU ARE the MASTER on FRIZZ!!!

• QVCDivaQVCDiva Posts: 1,329Registered Users
    I usually keep the twist in a week and then do a twist out the second week. I use a leave-in condish and the use a gel or gel based product to do the twist.
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file