Help a newbie please! :)

kdzb243kdzb243 Registered Users Posts: 5
I recently was introduced to your site when I was inquiring about no-poo and the benefits it might have for my naturally wavy hair. I've always hated it and either straightened it or used a lot of gel to keep it from being frizzy. So here's my dilemma:
I stopped using regular shampoo 4 weeks ago and started using Burt's Bees Super Shiny conditioner. It has worked wonders for the ends of my hair but the roots became super gummy feeling. So I bought some of the Super Shiny shampoo and used it a few days ago. That got rid of most of the gummy feeling but left my hair fuzzy again, although after two days it's starting to tame down again.
My goal is to have hair that can air-dry and not need much if any product or styling time. I'd also like to not have to wash my hair every day (which I've been doing even if it's just to wet it to detangle in the mornings). Am I being reasonable? What can I do to help this transition?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• xfactorgloryxfactorglory Registered Users Posts: 9
    kdzb243 wrote: »
    I recently was introduced to your site when I was inquiring about no-poo and the benefits it might have for my naturally wavy hair. I've always hated it and either straightened it or used a lot of gel to keep it from being frizzy. So here's my dilemma:
    I stopped using regular shampoo 4 weeks ago and started using Burt's Bees Super Shiny conditioner. It has worked wonders for the ends of my hair but the roots became super gummy feeling. So I bought some of the Super Shiny shampoo and used it a few days ago. That got rid of most of the gummy feeling but left my hair fuzzy again, although after two days it's starting to tame down again.
    My goal is to have hair that can air-dry and not need much if any product or styling time. I'd also like to not have to wash my hair every day (which I've been doing even if it's just to wet it to detangle in the mornings). Am I being reasonable? What can I do to help this transition?
    Thanks in advance for your help!

How do you wash your hair with the conditioner? Do you plop it on, rub it around and wash it out? (AKA treat it like shampoo?)

If you are, try applying just a litte conditioner to your finger tips, and start rubbing your scalp,not with your nails but hard enough to feel clean, at the base of your neck. As your run out of conditioner on your fingers, add more and continue to the rest of your head.

When your finished, wash it out (making sure your scalp feels clean) then condition your hair as you normally would.

Also, try using a wide tooth comb or you fingers to brush through your hair while your still in the shower instead of using a brush.

I hope that helps, if not then...>-< you'll have to keep looking, unfortunately.
  • 85MR285MR2 Registered Users Posts: 226
    Maybe try cowashing with a lighter conditioner, then use the Burt's Bees (or something else) as a rinse-out. Also, I find a leave in conditioner is essential. I usually use whatever I used to cowash. My rinseout is too heavy to leave in. There are a lot of girls that use a leave in conditioner as their only styling product ! HTH

PS- If you add some details about your hair type the help you get will be better, otherwise we're just guessing. Good luck!
    CG since 2/23/10!

2B 3A mix, fine texture and high porosity at crown/bangs, normal elsewhere. I like protein!

Trying to grow out a short haircut.

WASH: Jessicurl Cleansing Cream (once every week or so)
    CONDITION: Jessicurl Too Shea! or Aloeba Conditioner
    STYLE: Jessicurl Gelebration Spray/Awe Inspiraling Spray

http://public.fotki.com/85MR2/ (PICS OF CG TRANSITION SO FAR) Need to update. No pics with the Jessicurl products yet, but I LOVE them!
  • kdzb243kdzb243 Registered Users Posts: 5
    After reading through the descriptions, I think I'm somewhere between a 2a and a 2b. My hair is waist length and wavy. When allowed to air dry and scrunched it will curl pretty good but I have always been able to very easily straighten it with a blow dryer. However if there is any humidity in the air (I live in TN so this is 99% of the time haha) it gets all fuzzy.

I've been trying to use the conditioner like a shampoo, so maybe a different conditioner would be in order. What are some of the cheap options? I usually shop at WalMart so if they're available there it would be great!
  • 85MR285MR2 Registered Users Posts: 226
    kdzb243 wrote: »
    After reading through the descriptions, I think I'm somewhere between a 2a and a 2b. My hair is waist length and wavy. When allowed to air dry and scrunched it will curl pretty good but I have always been able to very easily straighten it with a blow dryer. However if there is any humidity in the air (I live in TN so this is 99% of the time haha) it gets all fuzzy.

I've been trying to use the conditioner like a shampoo, so maybe a different conditioner would be in order. What are some of the cheap options? I usually shop at WalMart so if they're available there it would be great!

Most of the Suave Naturals and the VO5 conditioners are CG friendly. Also, a lot of people are using the new Tressemme silicone free line of conditioners and having good luck with them. The thing I like about going cheap with my products is I can afford to try something out and don't feel stuck if I don't like it. Right now I use either Suave Naturals Coconut or Vo5 Tea Therapy in Chamomile to wash, then Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition to condition. Generally cowash conditioners are light and cheap, then you can follow with a heavier or more expensive rinse out. Then I use my cowash as a leave in as well.
    CG since 2/23/10!

2B 3A mix, fine texture and high porosity at crown/bangs, normal elsewhere. I like protein!

Trying to grow out a short haircut.

WASH: Jessicurl Cleansing Cream (once every week or so)
    CONDITION: Jessicurl Too Shea! or Aloeba Conditioner
    STYLE: Jessicurl Gelebration Spray/Awe Inspiraling Spray

http://public.fotki.com/85MR2/ (PICS OF CG TRANSITION SO FAR) Need to update. No pics with the Jessicurl products yet, but I LOVE them!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file