Are there any supplements that soften coarse hair?

JuJuJuJu Posts: 38Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Is this a long shot of a question? I've been trying to grow my hair out for the past 5 or so years with little success because my hair is so coarse, wirey & kinky and consequently very fragile and prone to breakage...which are qualities that don't lend well to growing long hair.

I initially thought it was a thyroid issue, but it checked out fine. I don't remember my hair being this coarse and dry when I was younger and was actually quite successful in growing it out until I made the mistake of using a texturizer.

Right now I am taking fish & hemp oils, plus biotin, msm and silica. I wonder if I should stop taking the silica because it supposedly thickens the hair shaft, which is the last thing I need. Is there anything that I can take that will make my hair grow less coarsely/wire like?
It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation

Comments

• LuckyMeCandyLuckyMeCandy Posts: 35Registered Users
    There is no miracle pill or formula. Your hair is what is. Love it.

Oh....there is always Miss Jessie's. :laughing6:
  • Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Posts: 793Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    there is no miracle pill. maybe increase you're deep conditioning to 1-2x per week if you haven't already.
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
  • JuJuJuJu Posts: 38Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Of coarse (no pun intended) I know there is no magic pill. I'm just wondering if there are supplements that help ease coarseness...or if all of my pill popping is in vain. My hair seems to have grown much more coarse and dry over the years and I really don't understand why, I'm just looking for some answers.
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I'll tell you a secret...I doubt your hair is coarse. If it was it probably wouldn't be so fragile.

How often are you deep conditioning? What is your regimen?
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • cheveuxboucléscheveuxbouclés Posts: 1,111Registered Users
    JuJu wrote: »
    Of coarse (no pun intended) I know there is no magic pill. I'm just wondering if there are supplements that help ease coarseness...or if all of my pill popping is in vain. My hair seems to have grown much more coarse and dry over the years and I really don't understand why, I'm just looking for some answers.

I hope this doesn't come across wrong, but have you thought perhaps it may be due to overkill on the supplements? I personally don't condone trying to change your hair texture, but I always thought kinky hair loosened as one gets older. Maybe you are equating coarsness with the dryness, which may not be the same thing.
  • Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Posts: 1,166Registered Users
    Hey JuJu,

I'd recommend that you list your products so that others can critique.

Too much protein in your products or protein conditioning treatments too often can make your hair brittle so limit these items in your regimen.

If you are not already using a leave-in conditioner try adding one. I highly recommend [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]kinky curly knot today[/buylink]. I have really thick hair so I prefer thick creamy conditioner versus thin liquid conditioners.

Also what are you using for moisturizer? It could be the ingredients you are using.

How often do you clarify?
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Are you going thru the change? Hormones can make the hair dry. Evening primrose oil, flax seed oil and/or omega 3 can help with that.
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    Are you drinking enough water? Also palm oil and hemp seed butter are great moisturizers.
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have to agree with Empressri, in all likelihood.. you don't have coarse hair. You probably have fine, densely packed, wiry hair which a lot of people refer to as "coarse" but it's not actually coarse hair.

Wiry and or kinky hair doesn't automatically mean "coarse". In most cases.. it doesn't. A lot of people with wiry and kinky hair simply have very dense hair that people call "coarse". It's just that the look and feel of the hair can looks sort of bushy or cottony making people think it's coarse. It's not..it's just densely packed.

I personally actually have coarse hair. It's not wiry though. And it can withstand quite a bit without breaking but I still have to be careful. It grows very well. But I treat it with kid gloves so it will remain healthy. And I protect my ends..so I can retain the length I prefer.

If you aren't retaining length.. you probably need to re-evaluate your hair care practices.

Ask and answer these questions to yourself:

Are you balancing your hair with protein and moisture ? Are you protecting your hair from damage such as when you comb it, brush it, wash and condition it, heat style it ? Do you handle the hair carefully in general ? Do you protect your hair at night in bed, Do you protect your hair from enviromental factors such as wind, sun, humidity, etc.

Are you doing things to keep the ends moisturized and protected ? Are you using any sort of chemicals (like dyes with ammonia or hydrogen peroxid in them) and not properly conditioning your hair ? Are you using harsh shampoos in your hair ? Are you actually moisturizing your hair rather than blocking moisture from it with heavy things that coat the hair shaft ?

There aren't any pills or supplements you can take to make your hair grow any other texture other than what you have.. but what you can do is keep yourself healthy in general and take very good care of the hair you have so it will look moisturized, feel soft to the touch, be managable, and easier to handle.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • maybejadeymaybejadey Posts: 198Registered Users
    I'm just gonna ditto everything Marah above said. =)

Oh, and also double ditto the protein/moisture thing. I used to think that my hair was coarse until I got that under control.
    Hair Type: A collection of incredibly dense, gravity-defying very defined coffee-stirrer diameter coils. I am currently exclusively wearing wash-and gos.

Products
    :Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner (low-poo), Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Grapeseed Oil, KCCC or Ecostyler Gel (stylers)

• lashon20lashon20 Posts: 1,150Registered Users
    A Supplement that I've heard of people saying it softened their hair is msm. Also flax oil and evening primrose oil are great for your hair also. But either way they're still good supplements to take for hair.
    http://mynaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com/

Shampoos: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie
    Stylers: As I Am Smoothing Gel, Jane Carter Incredible Curls, Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Hairveda Whipped Gelly
    Moisturizers: Camille Rose Moisture Milk, Camille Rose Fresh Curl
    Leave-Ins: KBB Sweet Ambrosia
    Pomades: Hairveda Almond Glaze
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    I have coarse hair as well. I think a good protein/moisture balance is important. For a while I was focusing too much on moisture and my hair was weak. I don't think youre confused on what coarse hair is because you very well may have it, even though its often mistaken. Anyway, I dont think any pills can change the texture of the hair already on your hair and maybe not likely to change the way your new growth feels . IMO the onlly things that can affect the way your hair feels (the wirery-ness and brittleness associated with coarse hair) is moisture and protein. Too little will mean that your hair is more prone to damage. Too much protein is a disaster for coarse hair.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • rachelolivia2010rachelolivia2010 Posts: 372Registered Users
    I have to agree with Empressri, in all likelihood.. you don't have coarse hair. You probably have fine, densely packed, wiry hair which a lot of people refer to as "coarse" but it's not actually coarse hair.

Wiry and or kinky hair doesn't automatically mean "coarse". In most cases.. it doesn't. A lot of people with wiry and kinky hair simply have very dense hair that people call "coarse". It's just that the look and feel of the hair can looks sort of bushy or cottony making people think it's coarse. It's not..it's just densely packed.

I personally actually have coarse hair. It's not wiry though. And it can withstand quite a bit without breaking but I still have to be careful. It grows very well. But I treat it with kid gloves so it will remain healthy. And I protect my ends..so I can retain the length I prefer.

If you aren't retaining length.. you probably need to re-evaluate your hair care practices.

Ask and answer these questions to yourself:

Are you balancing your hair with protein and moisture ? Are you protecting your hair from damage such as when you comb it, brush it, wash and condition it, heat style it ? Do you handle the hair carefully in general ? Do you protect your hair at night in bed, Do you protect your hair from enviromental factors such as wind, sun, humidity, etc.

Are you doing things to keep the ends moisturized and protected ? Are you using any sort of chemicals (like dyes with ammonia or hydrogen peroxid in them) and not properly conditioning your hair ? Are you using harsh shampoos in your hair ? Are you actually moisturizing your hair rather than blocking moisture from it with heavy things that coat the hair shaft ?

There aren't any pills or supplements you can take to make your hair grow any other texture other than what you have.. but what you can do is keep yourself healthy in general and take very good care of the hair you have so it will look moisturized, feel soft to the touch, be managable, and easier to handle.

I agree with the bold. :thumright:

And it might be all the supplements making your hair feel and act this way. Try moisturizing more often, and if you use alot of protein, try not to use too much, because your hair could be protein sensitive.
    awnmvgt87.png
    4a/OS/FN/Spongy
    Co-Wash: Vo5 Herbal Escapes Moisturizing Conditioner Free Me Freesia With Aloe Extract & Aussie Moist
    Leave In Conditioner: KCKT & seal with shea butter.
    Gel/Styler: KCCC or EcoStyler for edges.
    I think my hair likes cones... :)
    Thanks for the replies.

I definitely have thick coarse, wirey hair strands, it is as thick as horse hair, but it is dry, brittle and kinky. I love having natural hair, but I just look straight up like a crackhead because I don't know what to do with my hair; It is so dry, fuzzy and uneven...though it was never this difficult when I was a teenager. I long felt it had something to do with my body being out of whack/off balance with something because I've also grown to have increasing, uncharacteristic levels of anxiety, depression etc. over the years, but my doctor said my thyroid checked out well and I try to eat as healthy as possible, get exercise, so perhaps I just need to accept this as my new hair and try to work with it, but I feel the cards are stacked against me. Not only do I have to deal with the coarse dryness, but since my hair is so kinky, I can see all of the alternating thick and thin spots where my hair likes to break off.

Right now I don't really do much with it because I've invested so much money into my hair in the past, only to fail. I've chopped it off so many times to start over, but I always just end up in the same position with intolerable wimpy looking hair. I use garnier fructis length and strength conditioner and I also have some qhemet biologics replenishing mist, but it was also a failure for me as it just makes my hair sticky, greasy and hard. I usually just condition my hair and follow up with some olive oil or some other natural butter or oil and call it a day.
  • dee-naturedee-nature Posts: 630Registered Users
    you should post a pix of your hair dry after wash and with and w/o products. i doubt ur hair just dont grow!i say overkill on the moister like overnite DC, spritz daily to lock in moister, and take your daily vitamin like biotin:thumbup:
    hair type: 4a VERY dense u39v2snfy.png

hair goal
    = WL Aug. 23, 2013

My hair LOVES oil
    :love5:
    2. "Being natural must be the new crack cus im hooked!!":afro:

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is
    perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”:wav:

www.fotki.com/dee-nature-619

Thanks for the replies.

I definitely have thick coarse, wirey hair strands, it is as thick as horse hair, but it is dry, brittle and kinky. I love having natural hair, but I just look straight up like a crackhead because I don't know what to do with my hair; It is so dry, fuzzy and uneven...though it was never this difficult when I was a teenager. I long felt it had something to do with my body being out of whack/off balance with something because I've also grown to have increasing, uncharacteristic levels of anxiety, depression etc. over the years, but my doctor said my thyroid checked out well and I try to eat as healthy as possible, get exercise, so perhaps I just need to accept this as my new hair and try to work with it, but I feel the cards are stacked against me. Not only do I have to deal with the coarse dryness, but since my hair is so kinky, I can see all of the alternating thick and thin spots where my hair likes to break off.

Right now I don't really do much with it because I've invested so much money into my hair in the past, only to fail. I've chopped it off so many times to start over, but I always just end up in the same position with intolerable wimpy looking hair. I use garnier fructis length and strength conditioner and I also have some qhemet biologics replenishing mist, but it was also a failure for me as it just makes my hair sticky, greasy and hard. I usually just condition my hair and follow up with some olive oil or some other natural butter or oil and call it a day.

Okay.. Lawd have mercy..let me see if I can help out here. I am such a sucker for a natural in need.:sunny:

Um.. first of all can you list ALL the products you are using in your hair so I can examine what you are putting in your hair.

Also can you tell me HOW you know for sure your hair is coarse. What characteristics specifically make you think you have coarse hair ? Because I need to really make sure we are on the same page here.

Next I need to know the porosity of your hair please so I can make some recommendations. And believe me.. they WILL NOT cost you an arm and a leg. I am all about having "the look for less".

If you seriously want help and do not mind me trying to help out.. I will be more than happy to help you out as best I can. But I need the above information first so we can go from there. And I HAVE to know for sure what texture you have and what the porosity of your hair is.. plus your general hair care practices. Feel free to go over kill on the details. I do not mind reading and replying to long posts at all.
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Agree with Marah. Also, how often are you moisturizing - are you sealing @ night, sleeping with a satin bonnet or pillowcase? How often do you wash? We need deets! :)
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    So,
    I cut my hair into a twa about a week ago (longest areas are about 1-1.5 inch) and my hair is STILL breaking. What gives?? If I run my fingers through my hair I still find broken hairs. I can still also find a lot of those dreaded little knots at the ends.

What in God's name could I possibly be doing wrong? Every hair on my head should be fresh new healthy hair.

All I do is condition my hair and follow up with some sort of oil, like olive or macadamia nut oil...and then I leave it alone. I hardly ever use shampoo (maybe once every 2-3 months), but every once in a while I will do an AVC rinse, and I've also been experimenting with rhassoul clay as a shampoo. I wrap my hair at night and during the day, I am usually wearing a cap.

My only theory now is that the breakage is being caused by left over knots from my old damaged hair. I am considering going to a barber and shaving it amber rose style.

Also, I definitely have coarse hair. My hair strands are thick. I've compared my hair to Asian hair and it is just as thick, if not thicker...I had someone tell me once my hair looked like ***** = (
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    How often do you give your hair some protein? Also you need a leave-in conditioner from what I read of your routine. Knots on the end means its dry or unconditioned. It's the oldest hair and needs a little more conditioning and mositure.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • Jamtastic Voyage!Jamtastic Voyage! Posts: 230Registered Users
    Do you know if your hair is cone-sensitive? If you're using the Garnier conditioner, which has amodimethicone, you may have buildup from not shampooing it out. may be a bit of a stretch but my hair freaked out biggg time from using dimethicone/amodimethicone. since i cut cones out out of my routine, my hair has been much softer and less achy-breaky. (oh god, billy ray)

Or maybe it's like.. oil-sensitive. I know mine is, things loaded with oils dry out my hair and putting oils on my hair makes it so crispy and greasy. blech. butters make my hair happy though. which is odd, but so am i!

And how often do you deep condition? I didn't see anything about you deep conditioning, and if I simply overlooked it, I apologize! Maybe try mixing honey and oils into your conditioner (only if it's protein-free!) and leaving it in your hair with heat for a while or leave it in overnight, and see how your hair feels.

Also, maybe in between washes and such, try spritzing your hair with a mix of vegetable glycerin and water. That has helped my hair retain moisture better without me having to reapply product.

I'll help as best as I can!
    4a, fine-coarse, normal-high porosity, thick and dense sponge cake!
    currently texlaxed!
    APL stretched, ear length curly.
    Hair <3s: butters, glycerin, honey, coconut, aloe, olive oil
    Hair </3s: other oils, protein, 'cones, sulfates
    Cleanse: Bentonite Clay
    Condition: Shea Moisture Restorative, KUI Hydrating Hemp
    Leave-In: KCKT+castor oil, KUI Coconut Cream
    Style: Curl pudding (eco styler blue gel+shea butter+castor oil+conditioner)
    My hair has never liked protein treatments in the past, so I avoid them.

I haven't found a good leave in treatment or styling aid yet that doesn't leave my hair dry and crispy...I've tried qhemet products, miss jessies puddin, kiehls, aubrey organics, natural butters, oils, etc.

I am looking for a more natural replacement for the garnier fructis, but natural haircare lines always seem to fail me. Qhemet biologics actually worked for me the first time I tried it a few years ago, but I bought the products again and they didn't work (I think the formulations changed?)

When my hair was doing well, all I was using was suave conditioner, and suave gel....and my hair grew and it was healthy so I don't understand why I'm having such a difficult time with my hair now.

I'm going to go for another cut and see what happens.
  • hypnotichypnotic Posts: 613Registered Users
    i think people need to know exactly what you use... brands and the purpose of each product and the order you use them in

i think using a conditioner and gel is not moisturizing

i dont think a spray is not going to keep your hair moist unless you are sealing it in

personally i like a leave-in like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]knot today[/buylink] shea moisture and giovanni i work that through my hair in sections then i braid or twist my hair into about 20 braids or twists for each twist/braid i add a butter that has water in the ingredient list

after i am done i seal the ends with castor oil and run the oil over the braid/twist

have you tried protective styling leaving your hair out to the environment is going to dry out your hair

i suggest now that you have a twa baggying at night to get that moisture up and maybe you need to spritz like three times a day
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50, Nexxus Aloe Rid
    Detangling Conditioner: Oyin Honey Hemp, EO Sweet Orange
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Suave Naturals Sea Breeze, V05 Tea Therapy, Oyin Honey Hemp
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask
  • Jamtastic Voyage!Jamtastic Voyage! Posts: 230Registered Users
    I agree with above replies, we'll be able to give good, educated recommendations if we know everything you use and how you use it, as well as if we know a bit more about your hair.

Hopefully we can help you get through this dry spell so you can get back to having longer, healthier hair. (:
    4a, fine-coarse, normal-high porosity, thick and dense sponge cake!
    currently texlaxed!
    APL stretched, ear length curly.
    Hair <3s: butters, glycerin, honey, coconut, aloe, olive oil
    Hair </3s: other oils, protein, 'cones, sulfates
    Cleanse: Bentonite Clay
    Condition: Shea Moisture Restorative, KUI Hydrating Hemp
    Leave-In: KCKT+castor oil, KUI Coconut Cream
    Style: Curl pudding (eco styler blue gel+shea butter+castor oil+conditioner)
    My hair has never liked protein treatments in the past, so I avoid them.

I haven't found a good leave in treatment or styling aid yet that doesn't leave my hair dry and crispy...I've tried qhemet products, miss jessies puddin, kiehls, aubrey organics, natural butters, oils, etc.

I am looking for a more natural replacement for the garnier fructis, but natural haircare lines always seem to fail me. Qhemet biologics actually worked for me the first time I tried it a few years ago, but I bought the products again and they didn't work (I think the formulations changed?)

When my hair was doing well, all I was using was suave conditioner, and suave gel....and my hair grew and it was healthy so I don't understand why I'm having such a difficult time with my hair now.

I'm going to go for another cut and see what happens.

Have you actually tried the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Fortifying Cream Conditioner??

That stuff is really moisturizing and it doesn't contain cones. I use it all the time...it's works really well as a deep conditioner under a hooded dryer.

Also Garnier makes a new version of their Sleek and Shine Conditioner and it doesn't have cones either. It works really well as a leave-in diluted with a little water.

Those two are the only 2 in the Garnier line though that I know of that DO NOT contain silicones. Another line that you may want to try is the Tresemme Naturals. It's a good price point. It contains no cones and you can get it at pretty much any drug store and Walmart. I use that one too and I love it. Leaves my hair so soft and moisturized.

Also what is your hair porosity ? Because that could be a reason why you are experiencing a dry feeling.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi JuJu,

Good suggestions. I'll take your word for it that your hair is coarse. It sounds like your hair needs major conditioning....major....like every-time-you-wash-for-a-month-do-a-deep-conditioner kind of conditioning. Also protective conditioning -- a conditioner you can leave in. You also may want to switch up your oil with a butter instead, and apply that butter over the conditioner you leave in, not on your naked hair.

If you do use an oil, do an oil rinse after cleansing. Liberally apply oil to wet clean hair, let it absorb, then rinse it out thoroughly with warm-hot water. And make sure to condition and rinse thoroughly afterward or else you will be walking around with greasy forehead, ears and neck. Oil used this way softens and helps to hydrate.

These conditioners do a great job conditioning and once I'm finished conditioning and detangling, I don't rinse them out. I rake to style and smooth a butter or castor oil on my ends: EO Rose Chamomile Conditioner, Loma Pearatin Nourishing Moisturizer, Renpure Organics My Pretty Hair is Parched moisturizing conditioner (I also co-wash with this).

DT's - Since I don't sit under the dryer, my DT's have to work in 5-10 minutes. They are not low cost, unfortunately. But in terms of price/performance they rock. They also work under heat. And they both soften, moisturize and strengthen my hair since they contain protein:

-[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Mop-Top-Deep-Conditioner-p-719.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=moptop-deep-conditioner]Mop Top Deep Conditioner[/buylink] - has 4 proteins yet softens and detangles - I saw improvement after 1 use.
    -[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Herbal-Reconditioner-p-380.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-herbal-reconditioning-treatment]Blended Beauty Herbal Reconditioner[/buylink] - may not have protein; best used with heat but works perfectly without.
    -[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Hibiscus--Banana-Deep-Fix-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-478.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curl-junkie-hibiscus-banana-deep-fix-moisturizing-conditioner]Curl Junkie Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix[/buylink]
    -Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadant Treatment (I can leave this one in).
    Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair mask

If you use up a jar of any of these in say, 4-6 weeks, you will see a difference in your hair. So determine if $20-30 is worth seeing an improvement in your hair. After the initial 4-6 weeks intensive use, scale back to every 1-2 weeks.

I haven't tried the Garnier Triple Nutrition but it sounds intriguing. Lustrasilk cholesterols are supposed to be deep conditoners but many (including me sometimes) use them as protective, texture enhancing leave ins.

The other thing you may want to think about as you grow your hair is a steamer. If you live in a dry, low dewpoint location, your hair will be thirsty. If you live in a hard-water location, invest in a shower filter. Your hair will thank you. HTH
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • MissCurlyMissCurly Posts: 133Registered Users
    I think you should watch this Youtube channel that MahoganyCurls has. She started with a TWA which she said was always really dry. But she got on the CG method and her dryness is gone. She has alot of great tips and vids on there for the situation that you are dealing with. I think that would help you out a lot.
    3c/4a Relaxer free since 04!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file