BC disappointment

bowwow94bowwow94 Posts: 36Registered Users
I just BC'd and im extremely frustarated with the outcome. My hair is just all frizz. The frizz is made up of like waves but they wont clump together. It also feel rough and dry to the touch. My hair has been in a sew in for 3months prior to bC'd. So, Im sure i need more moisture. But, will that have much of a difference to my texture. do I need to do an ACV rinse, Protein treatment???...help!
last relaxer- May 16th 09
BC - april 2010
3b/3c/4a/4b with random natural straight strands
staples: WATER :) elucence mbc, shea butter,coconut oil, glycerin, evoo, honey, castor oil

Comments

• SummerRubySummerRuby Posts: 468Registered Users
    Proper moisture can make a great deal of difference on your texture. Also, depending on your length, the roughness might just be what's called scab hair, which is the rough, damaged hair that grows out immediately after the relaxed hair.

Since your hair feels rough, you should definitely err on the side of moisture; if you needed protein, your hair would feel mushy when wet and maybe frail or a bit thin (the individual strands, that is, not how many strands you have on your head) when dry.

Remember, oils (and butters, since butters are just solid oils) don't moisturize--they keep in the moisture. True moisturizers would be water and humectants (like glycerin, honey, or aloe vera gel/juice, which attract water).

If you want my suggestion, you can try Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner or Alba Botanica Leave-in--they work really well for me. You could also search around to find a moisturizer that you think might work for you--just make sure it's water-based (that is, has water and/or a humectant as one of the first two ingredients).

Reading the labels on ingredients is key--you should always be aware of what you're putting in and on your body. You should try to avoid silicones (any ingredients ending in -cone, -conol, or -xane), drying/non-fatty alcohols (like isopropyl and ethanol), and sulfates (like sodium laurel/-eth sulfate or ammonium laurel/-eth sulfate, which are in shampoos/cleansers) unless you know that these things work for your hair, because they tend to be very drying for curly/kinky hair.

• 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    bowwow94 wrote: »
    I just BC'd and im extremely frustarated with the outcome. My hair is just all frizz. The frizz is made up of like waves but they wont clump together. It also feel rough and dry to the touch. My hair has been in a sew in for 3months prior to bC'd. So, Im sure i need more moisture. But, will that have much of a difference to my texture. do I need to do an ACV rinse, Protein treatment???...help!

Could you tell us more about what you do to your hair regularly? Also, what is your curl type/texture? How do you style it ? People can give you a more thoughtful response with that info.

However, your hair might be feeling a bit shocked. I read on this site that a lot of people's hair acts up for a couple weeks after the bc. Just give it plenty of moisture and care until it's under control, and take care of your scalp.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • maybejadeymaybejadey Posts: 198Registered Users
    Ladies are giving great advice. Just wanted to add:

Combing/brushing natural hair can cause frizz for some folks. You may have to utilize hair healthy gels to get clumpage while combing/brushing. In general, manipulation of your hair while it's drying/dry will cause frizz.

Definitely tell us what you're doing to your hair so we can have a better idea of what you could benefit from.
    Hair Type: A collection of incredibly dense, gravity-defying very defined coffee-stirrer diameter coils. I am currently exclusively wearing wash-and gos.

Products
    :Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner (low-poo), Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Grapeseed Oil, KCCC or Ecostyler Gel (stylers)

• bowwow94bowwow94 Posts: 36Registered Users
    well to start off i had my last relaxer about 10 months ago.....its been in a sew in weave since, with 2 week breaks in between each sew in. I would wash once a week shampoo (non sulfate), cowash, rinse out condish, and then spray a leave in. I will admit that I did get really bad sometimes and neglected my hair.....Its just the texture is so strange I knw its not 4b becuase it hangs it looks like it should b 3c/4a but its just frizz. At the same time though I would find inbetween my tracks hair that was 3b and fine. In the beginning i thought the frizz was scab hair, but I dont think you can have 4 1/2 inches of scab hair ;-)

im just xtremly frustrated for the past 3 years I have been dealing with over processed and fried relaxed hair at one length...and I thought my natural hair would be easier. Instead it just feels like Im going from one problem to the next
    BC - april 2010
    staples: WATER :) elucence mbc, shea butter,coconut oil, glycerin, evoo, honey, castor oil
  • maybejadeymaybejadey Posts: 198Registered Users
    Can you tell us the name of the products you use?
    And I don't know how the other ladies feel, but spray leave-ins don't do squat for my hair. I personally need something creamy to provide enough moisture just to get through the day.

Can you post a picture?

I feel like there's two types of bad frizz. Dry hair frizz, which is just parched hair that doesn't have enough moisture to hold its definition and protein-deficient frizz, hair that doesn't have enough protein to hold its structure and thus frizzes out.

Natural hair is not "easy" in the sense that you can do whatever to it and have it be perfect. You're definitely going to have to learn about your hair texture, find out what it likes, and develop a regimen or at least know how to respond to your hair. In the end, I think it's easier and more liberating than a relaxer, but like anything else in life, there's a learning curve so don't get down.
    Hair Type: A collection of incredibly dense, gravity-defying very defined coffee-stirrer diameter coils. I am currently exclusively wearing wash-and gos.

Products
    :Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner (low-poo), Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Grapeseed Oil, KCCC or Ecostyler Gel (stylers)

• CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    Keeping your hair in sew-ins can be great for growth but hell on moisture.

Natural hair isn't easier than relaxed in my view. Our hair is very fragile at times especially if you haven't been giving it what it needs.

Deep condition weekly and use moisturizing products to get your hair on an even plane. What type of styles are you looking to wear?
  • rachelolivia2010rachelolivia2010 Posts: 372Registered Users
    For your question about how your hair is just frizz. Most of the time, when you BC, your hair doesn't really have a definite curl pattern. Its gonna take some time! I haven't begun to see my true curl pattern until around my 9th or 10th month. Your hair might need some time to get used to this whole natural thing. And it might have some scab hairs. Also, moisture plays a big role in curl definition. So moisturize, moisturize, MOISTURIZE.
    awnmvgt87.png
    4a/OS/FN/Spongy
    Co-Wash: Vo5 Herbal Escapes Moisturizing Conditioner Free Me Freesia With Aloe Extract & Aussie Moist
    Leave In Conditioner: KCKT & seal with shea butter.
    Gel/Styler: KCCC or EcoStyler for edges.
    I think my hair likes cones... :)
  • FoxyCleopatraFoxyCleopatra Posts: 412Registered Users
    I am still in the transitioning process, but I have heard on more than one occasion of women who BC only to find their hair is dry and the curl pattern isn't defined right away.

I know that I wear sew-ins often and I have always suffered from dry hair, but I've tweaked shea butter whip recipes, experimented with different conditioners & leave-ins and I finally have very moisturized hair. The ladies have offered great advice, and all I can really say is that you should keep making adjustments until you find the right products to work for your hair.
  • krazy coilskrazy coils Posts: 148Registered Users
    I would definitely recommend that you moisturize your hair and deep condition at least twice a week. After my BC my hair was extremely dry and I deep conditioned to help restore moisture.
    Last Relaxer: February 2009
    Big Chop: September 8, 2009
    Shampoo: Still Searching
    Conditioner:Nature's Gate Aloe Vera and Pomegranate Sunflower
    Deep Conditioner: Elucenc MBC
    CurrentProducts: Qhemets AOHC and OHHB, Oyin Hair Dew,Hemp Seed Oil, Castor Oil, Amla, Brahmi

Fotki:http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/
    Youtube
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    When I first did my BC my hair was a cotton ball and did feel a little coarse. I hated it at went ahead and did a dry twistout. One I co-washed my hair though my curls came back and my head felt soft. The only time my hair feels dry is when I do not moisturize everyday (waaaaay overdue for a deep treatment!!!) but my hair is still soft and moisturized because I wet it everyday and use Taliaah Wajid's protective mist bodifier and I started back doing my night routine.
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • papermOonpapermOon Posts: 76Registered Users
    gagirl09 wrote: »
    When I first did my BC my hair was a cotton ball and did feel a little coarse. I hated it at went ahead and did a dry twistout. One I co-washed my hair though my curls came back and my head felt soft. The only time my hair feels dry is when I do not moisturize everyday (waaaaay overdue for a deep treatment!!!) but my hair is still soft and moisturized because I wet it everyday and use Taliaah Wajid's protective mist bodifier and I started back doing my night routine.
    I always wondered if one had to make their hair wet 24/7 and if that is the case,if it is truely one's hair texture...
    like you I find I have to moisturize & twist out the part of my hair thats relaxed hair free, which is just the back part of my hair for some reason, daily to keep it feeling soft, because if I don't..its a big rough feeling frizz ball. Maybe I'am lacking in protein..but I heard that cherry lola treatment works wonders for the people here on this board.
    my hair is like a four leaf clover, full of a 4ish mixture of luck!! or in my case..locks (~.^)
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a moisturizing shampoo once a week, then co-wash once or twice during the week. I do a dc with one of those co-washes. It has made a huge difference in keeping my hair moisturized. Trader Joe's Moisture Spa is one of my favorite conditioners.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • arkanfinearkanfine Posts: 209Registered Users
    bowwow94 wrote: »

How long ago did you BC?
    Hair Type:3c/4a/4b
    LOIS:OS thick strands w/ thready texture
    Porosity:non-porous

my fotki: http://public.fotki.com/kutenkurly/

030-th.jpg
  • arkanfinearkanfine Posts: 209Registered Users
    I am still in the transitioning process, but I have heard on more than one occasion of women who BC only to find their hair is dry and the curl pattern isn't defined right away.

I know that I wear sew-ins often and I have always suffered from dry hair, but I've tweaked shea butter whip recipes, experimented with different conditioners & leave-ins and I finally have very moisturized hair. The ladies have offered great advice, and all I can really say is that you should keep making adjustments until you find the right products to work for your hair.

I found this to be rather true. You can check out my Fotki and look at how my hair texture is changing in the past two weeks. I kinda prepared myself to look a HOT MESS for a minute.

Plus, I am finding a lot of straight ends still in there. I think this is contributing to the frizz. Keep your head up!
    Once you get your regimen and routine, you will be ok to go.
    Hair Type:3c/4a/4b
    LOIS:OS thick strands w/ thready texture
    Porosity:non-porous

my fotki: http://public.fotki.com/kutenkurly/

030-th.jpg
  • bowwow94bowwow94 Posts: 36Registered Users
    I just BCd on monday. Thank you ladies for all of your advice I am doing a deep treatment as we speak with AOHSR and EVOO. I also bought Direct Leave in and will be using that. Um, I want to post pictures and will do that asap. Hopefully after this treatment there will b som kind of improvement. I am just not liking how my ends look right now...they look frizzed out and damaged though Ive only flat ironed once (4 months ago)
    BC - april 2010

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file