Hi.. New Poster w/ Vitamin Question

CurlyAfroCubanCurlyAfroCuban Registered Users Posts: 11
hi everyone..

today my order of hair vitamins will arrive (after a 3 week wait, lol but that's a WHOLE other story.)

i've never been a vitamin taker, but i do eat healthily and drink almost a gallon of water daily so i figured adding vitamins couldn't hurt.

i have 5,000 mcg (5mg) biotin pills from a company named solgar and MSM powder from solgar.

i plan on taking 1,000 mg of the MSM and 5mg of the biotin daily.

i know i need to drink a lot of water, but is there a better time of day to take these? i recall some women saying MSM gave them vivid dreams if taken before bed.

should i take them seperately or together.... with or without meals?

i'm also ordering "krill oil" supplements. my best friend uses it in lieu of fish oil. as a marine biology graduate, lol it makes sense! baleen whales eat krill and they have a mouth full of thick, strong baleen made up of the same things as hair and nails.

i've also read that adding vitamin C to the supplements helps.

thanks in advance, i know i'm asking a lot of questions for my first post!

:wave:
Hair Today.. Gone Tomorrow!

Comments

• NaturalistaNaturalista Registered Users Posts: 5,491 Curl Neophyte
    hi everyone..

today my order of hair vitamins will arrive (after a 3 week wait, lol but that's a WHOLE other story.)

i've never been a vitamin taker, but i do eat healthily and drink almost a gallon of water daily so i figured adding vitamins couldn't hurt.

i have 5,000 mcg (5mg) biotin pills from a company named solgar and MSM powder from solgar.

i know i need to drink a lot of water, but is there a better time of day to take these? i recall some women saying MSM gave them vivid dreams if taken before bed.

i'm also ordering "krill oil" supplements. my best friend uses it in lieu of fish oil. as a marine biology graduate, lol it makes sense! baleen whales eat krill and they have a mouth full of thick, strong baleen made up of the same things as hair and nails.

I say take them in the AM with or after a meal. Vitamin C is not only good for collagen formation of all types (hair, skin, nails, teeth) but it also increases the absorption of other vitamins when taken together-- so toss VitC in there.

Krill oil? Out of my league.. lol. :)

HTH.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • CurlyAfroCubanCurlyAfroCuban Registered Users Posts: 11
    hi everyone..

I say take them in the AM with or after a meal. Vitamin C is not only good for collagen formation of all types (hair, skin, nails, teeth) but it also increases the absorption of other vitamins when taken together-- so toss VitC in there.

HTH.

thanks Naturalista..

i didn't see your reply until after i took yesterday's vitamins. i took the MSM around 6pm (no rhyme or reason to that) and i took the biotin, b-complex and vitamin C right before bed.

i read somewhere about vitamin absorption rate being greater at nite when we're resting and our body is *repairing* itself.

i didn't notice any headaches or anything, but i did wake up (like WIDE awake) at 2am then again at 4 am.

i'm thinking of taking the MSM earlier in the day and maybe the biotin/b-complex before bed.

i'm really hoping it doesn't loosen my curl pattern though (the msm).

thanks for responding to me!
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Registered Users Posts: 5,491 Curl Neophyte
    hi everyone..

HTH.

thanks Naturalista..

i didn't see your reply until after i took yesterday's vitamins. i took the MSM around 6pm (no rhyme or reason to that) and i took the biotin, b-complex and vitamin C right before bed.

i read somewhere about vitamin absorption rate being greater at nite when we're resting and our body is *repairing* itself.

i didn't notice any headaches or anything, but i did wake up (like WIDE awake) at 2am then again at 4 am.

i'm thinking of taking the MSM earlier in the day and maybe the biotin/b-complex before bed.

i'm really hoping it doesn't loosen my curl pattern though (the msm).

thanks for responding to me!

The absorption of nutrients will occur whether day or night.

The only difference between day or night is the metabolic rate slows and that has to do with how we deal with calories (fat, carbs, protein) and how its used. Ex: late night eating then passing out is bad because our body is at rest and doesnt need as much calories vs the daytime when we are alert and moving about. Less use of the energy.. and those nutrients are converted to fat and stored.

HTH :)
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte
    I also take my multi, glucosamine with MSM, and vit. c at night (after dinner).

However I haven't noticed any significant hair growth due to taking vitamins. I guess my hair grows with or without taking supplements, which probably means I have no vitamin deficiencies and am eating healthy. :iconbiggrin:
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)

The absorption of nutrients will occur whether day or night.

The only difference between day or night is the metabolic rate slows and that has to do with how we deal with calories (fat, carbs, protein) and how its used. Ex: late night eating then passing out is bad because our body is at rest and doesnt need as much calories vs the daytime when we are alert and moving about. Less use of the energy.. and those nutrients are converted to fat and stored.

HTH :)

it helps a lot. i've never taken vitamins before so i wasn't sure if it mattered or not. someone else told me to take them at the same time each day.

lol i already know that's gonna be hard.
    BekkaPoo wrote: »

However I haven't noticed any significant hair growth due to taking vitamins. I guess my hair grows with or without taking supplements, which probably means I have no vitamin deficiencies and am eating healthy. :iconbiggrin:

yeah, my hair grows pretty fast without any supplements. i get around 3/4" a month without any effort.

lol but after reading hair forums that i initially came to for learning how to keep my hair moisturized and define my curls.. LOL i've gotten greedy!!

i'm like ooooh, let me try this, and this.. and that.

haaha watch all my hair fall out.
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte

yeah, my hair grows pretty fast without any supplements. i get around 3/4" a month without any effort.

lol but after reading hair forums that i initially came to for learning how to keep my hair moisturized and define my curls.. LOL i've gotten greedy!!

I actually don't know how much I retain per month.. maybe I should start measuring. I just keep my hair up and out of the way (protective styling) and only let it out for a few hours a day to relax my scalp and remoisturize.

But as for vitamins making a difference (with me specifically) I have no idea if there is a difference or not. They say though, that some vitamins in excess can contribute to hair loss, the same as if you had a deficiency so be careful what you ingest.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)

I actually don't know how much I retain per month.. maybe I should start measuring. I just keep my hair up and out of the way (protective styling) and only let it out for a few hours a day to relax my scalp and remoisturize.

But as for vitamins making a difference (with me specifically) I have no idea if there is a difference or not. They say though, that some vitamins in excess can contribute to hair loss, the same as if you had a deficiency so be careful what you ingest.

i'm trying to pay attention to my body and i don't really shed hairs a lot so i know if that starts to happen.. lol it has to be something new i'm taking.

i do wonder what vitamins i'm deficient in though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file