Nyc Meet Up!

Comments

• Ebo FierceEbo Fierce Posts: 38Registered Users
    Talk about being the late comer...LOL!!
    I've been gone for a minute...I have a HUGE Exam coming up ..so study study study is my mantra right now

BUT...I'm so not missing this for anything. I need to see & talk to some natural beauties! So please count me in!! I'll go where ever I'm told. LOL LOL!
    Smooches, Ebo F.
    All Natural as of 9/15/09

event.png
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Posts: 2,568Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    UnrulyLion wrote: »
    Woohoo!

Oooh, I wasn't sure if it was something we all wanted to do, but since no one has mentioned it, I guess it isn't?

LADIES! I'm planning on BCing right before the meet-up...and I am SCARED. Any wise words?

Yeah, no one has really discussed it....

Be FIERCE with it girl! When I first BC'ed I found that keeping my hair sheeny and healthy, wearing nice jewelry, clothes, etc. all helped. CONGRATULATIONS and can't wait to see you.

CORNY SUGGESTION: Last time there were less women than there are going to be this time and there were some people I didn't even get to meet cause they were on the other end of the table. What do you ladies think about going around the table (right after we all order our food) and introducing ourselves and saying our screen names so everyone can meet? Is that super corny???:rabbit:

That's sounds like a MFing plan lol. I don't think its corny at all!

@Ebo: yayyyyyyyyyyyy! How is your Christo cut holding up?
    comic-p.jpg
    MIXED...HEY CHICA!!!!

OMG Tameeka is the ISH!!!!!
    The cut has been holding up well. Yours? I wore it for maybe 2 weeks before I realized I really need to keep my hands out my hair....LOL! So I've had my hair in protective styles since then.

When I came on here last nite and saw a meet up was coming up I did my happy dance!! Can't wait to meet you and the rest of the ladies!!!
    Smooches, Ebo F.

event.png
  • NubianCoilsNubianCoils Posts: 2,149Registered Users
    HOTNESS!!! Mixed, you have to help me cause you know how we ladies get!! Everyone will be so into conversations! I'll have to clink my mimosa glass to get everyone's attention.:laughing1:

Ebo you have been added!!! CAN. NOT. WAIT. FOR. THIS. MEETING!!!!!
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
    YAY!!! Doin my Happy Dance!!!
    Smooches, Ebo F.

event.png
  • tressedforsuccesstressedforsuccess Posts: 87Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Please add me to the list. I can't wait to meet all the NYC naturals! :afro:

Honey, you already on it!! :toothy4: The list is on page 3 of this thread. You were added a long time ago. Can't wait to see you!!!!

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

• CoilyRobCoilyRob Posts: 4Registered Users
    I have been strictly a lurker, however I would looove to attend. It would be so wonderful to be around so many naturals, Bring on the mimosas!
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Posts: 2,568Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ebo Fierce wrote: »
    MIXED...HEY CHICA!!!!

OMG Tameeka is the ISH!!!!!
    The cut has been holding up well. Yours? I wore it for maybe 2 weeks before I realized I really need to keep my hands out my hair....LOL! So I've had my hair in protective styles since then.

When I came on here last nite and saw a meet up was coming up I did my happy dance!! Can't wait to meet you and the rest of the ladies!!!

lol I hear you! It is a full time job taking care of this hair! My cut has held up well, but my hair is a slightly different texture on the top. So at about 4 mths in, I started noticing the back looked a lot longer. I plan to thug it out till the end of May though lol. At that point, it will be 6 mths. I can't really afford to go more than that, unless I really have to!
    HOTNESS!!! Mixed, you have to help me cause you know how we ladies get!! Everyone will be so into conversations! I'll have to clink my mimosa glass to get everyone's attention.:laughing1:

Ebo you have been added!!! CAN. NOT. WAIT. FOR. THIS. MEETING!!!!!

Definitely! Idk if you all will think this is corny, but at the joint meetup, we wore name tags lol. Sounds silly as hell, but I knew everyone's name!
    comic-p.jpg
  • CheveuxSauvageCheveuxSauvage Posts: 240Registered Users
    I'm excited :mrgreen:

Just thought I'd share.

'kay bye :colors:
    [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]4a/3c [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]Normal porosity [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]High density [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT] Medium-Coarse [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT]
  • tressedforsuccesstressedforsuccess Posts: 87Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Honey, you already on it!! :toothy4: The list is on page 3 of this thread. You were added a long time ago. Can't wait to see you!!!!

Yay! I wasn't sure. I haven't been lurking as much because I've been busy with work. I wanted to make double sure I didn't miss this opportunity! LOL
  • Nicky791Nicky791 Posts: 679Registered Users
    Yay! I can't wait to meet all of you lovely ladies!

I just BC'd 4/4 (Easter Sunday).....I have no idea how I should style my hair for this meeting!

Any suggestions? I really wanna try a wash 'n go but I don't think it'll look nice :(...

maybe a twistout??
    Last Relaxer: March 26 2009
    Mini Chop: January 16 2010
    BC: April 4 2010
    Transitioned for 1yr 9days!
    Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nicky791/about/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nicky791
    Nicky791 wrote: »
    Yay! I can't wait to meet all of you lovely ladies!

I just BC'd 4/4 (Easter Sunday).....I have no idea how I should style my hair for this meeting!

Any suggestions? I really wanna try a wash 'n go but I don't think it'll look nice :(...

maybe a twistout??

I don't know if it was just me, but it seemed the theme for the last meeting was "Get your hair as big as it will get!" :afro: We really got a lot of attention because so many lovely ladies were letting their hair down - well - for us it was actually up. :laughing1: I plan on wearing a great big afro and I'll stick a flower in it if I can find one by that time...I would do a twist out after banding to show length.

But honestly, it really doesn't matter how you wear your hair. You're fabulously natural and that's all that matters. You'll look smokin' no matter which style you use. :geek:

Holy Grails:

• hamptonsfnsthamptonsfnst Posts: 106Registered Users
    I would love to attend this next meetup and had a great time at the last meetup in January for those that were either unable or unaware to attend. I frequent CurlyNikki.com and believe the curlies over there would be interested as well. Do you have space available for additional attendees? This meetup should involve everyone who loves curly hair not just members of NC.com.
    I would love to attend this next meetup and had a great time at the last meetup in January for those that were either unable or unaware to attend. I frequent CurlyNikki.com and believe the curlies over there would be interested as well. Do you have space available for additional attendees? This meetup should involve everyone who loves curly hair not just members of NC.com.

I think that all of us at NC.com are eager to have another NC.com meeting. I don't frequent Curly Nikki, but I think that all hair boards have a different "vibe". There is a reason why we choose to frequent one site over another.

I "know" the ladies on this board and for me, the reason I enjoyed the last NC.com meeting so much was not only that we all shared natural hair, but that I'm getting to see face-to-face, the lovely ladies that I PM, respond to threads to, and interact with.

Having said that, if there are some women on the Curly Nikki site that would like to attend this meet-up, please have them either post here and let me know or you can send me a PM with their names and I'll add them to the list.

However - Braai is not a huge restaurant and we already have close to 30 ladies attending. And each person that posts here and is a member of this site and expresses interest in going, I will add their name before anyone from another site. I just want you to know this so you can tell the ladies from Curly Nikki, just in case Braai tries to limit how many people I can reserve for.

Oh! And I added your name to the list of attendees! Please see the list on page 3 of this thread.

Holy Grails:

Please remove me from the list.

Please understand that the post above is only my opinion and how I feel about this. The other ladies on this site could chime in and completely disagree. Knowing that, would you like me to still take you off the list, or wait for some other posters to post their opinions?

Holy Grails:

I hate to be the one to create a possible controversy.....

But I think both of you are right in your own way.

Hamptonsfnst- You are most certainly right in thinking that ALL naturals should be able to attend this meetup. But I think that you would have to understand that it depends on the nature of the gathering. If we all decided to meet up at (lets say for example) central park for a picnic then of course the more the merrier! Central park can easily accomodate for 50+ people. A restuarant or really any place where we'd have to make real reservations can be much more difficult to accomodate such a large quanitity of people.

I think that Nubiancoils response to your concern was right on the money. Not one place on this thread did it mention that this gathering was specifically for members of NC.com but it is geared toward members of NC. I think that if you had people that you talk to on NikkiCurly that you wanted to invite then by all means go ahead.

I just personally don't feel like it's appropriate to extend an invitation to the entire NikkiCurly community only because of the location of the meeting.

Please understand that I don't think Nubiancoils was attempting to be rude or even segregate us from other natural hair websites I think that she was just concerned about the size of the group, not who's attending. I'm pretty sure if size wasn't the issue I myself would be inviting personal friends, family members, people on fotki, nappturaly(sp?).com...etc.

With that said I really do hope you reconsider your decision, I and i'm pretty sure plenty of other naturals would love to see you there!

Please understand that the post above is only my opinion and how I feel about this. The other ladies on this site could chime in and completely disagree. Knowing that, would you like me to still take you off the list, or wait for some other posters to post their opinions?
    I was expecting a more inviting response than the previous. I am happy to be a newly natural and want any transitioner or existing natural to enjoy themselves because I learned alot from my first meetup in January regardless of the amount of ladies that attended or which website they followed.

I sincerely hope everyone has a good time and gains something from this experience whether it's their first or one of many to follow. We should continue to support one another during this journey.
    I was expecting a more inviting response than the previous. I am happy to be a newly natural and want any transitioner or existing natural to enjoy themselves because I learned alot from my first meetup in January regardless of the amount of ladies that attended or which website they followed.

I sincerely hope everyone has a good time and gains something from this experience whether it's their first or one of many to follow. We should continue to support one another during this journey.

Nicky791 - Thanks. I'm not very articulate and even worse when it comes to writing, but this is pretty-much what I meant.

Hamptonsfnst - I sent you a PM. If I made you feel less invited, I apologize. That was not my intent at all. I simply wanted you to understand where I was coming from. Like I stated in my previous post, Braai is a fabulous, yet kinda small restaurant. It could not accomodate a whole lot of people. And since this was posted on our board first, I wouldn't feel right telling an NC member that they could not come to the meet-up because we were filled to capasity with other people that were not members of this site. I posted here first and only, which implies an invitation to the ladies of NC. If I had started this post, letting them know there would be cross-posting in other boards, I could understand.

I'm sincerely sorry you won't be attending because of this. I hope you reconsider.

Holy Grails:

Nicky791 wrote: »
    I hate to be the one to create a possible controversy.....

But I think both of you are right in your own way.

Hamptonsfnst- You are most certainly right in thinking that ALL naturals should be able to attend this meetup. But I think that you would have to understand that it depends on the nature of the gathering. If we all decided to meet up at (lets say for example) central park for a picnic then of course the more the merrier! Central park can easily accomodate for 50+ people. A restuarant or really any place where we'd have to make real reservations can be much more difficult to accomodate such a large quanitity of people.

I think that Nubiancoils response to your concern was right on the money. Not one place on this thread did it mention that this gathering was specifically for members of NC.com but it is geared toward members of NC. I think that if you had people that you talk to on NikkiCurly that you wanted to invite then by all means go ahead.

I just personally don't feel like it's appropriate to extend an invitation to the entire NikkiCurly community only because of the location of the meeting.

Please understand that I don't think Nubiancoils was attempting to be rude or even segregate us from other natural hair websites I think that she was just concerned about the size of the group, not who's attending. I'm pretty sure if size wasn't the issue I myself would be inviting personal friends, family members, people on fotki, nappturaly(sp?).com...etc.

With that said I really do hope you reconsider your decision, I and i'm pretty sure plenty of other naturals would love to see you there!

Thank you Nicky for your unbiased explanation. I agree that size should be considered and will keep that in mind the next time I either consider to attend or suggest a place to meet. Im not familiar with that restaurant so I wouldn't know anything about its limited accomodations but I appreciate you taking the time to clarify.
  • NyCurLiiNyCurLii Posts: 58Registered Users
    I am fairly new to CG but I would love to attend this get together.. Is the date still confirmed as 5.08?? where is the agreed upon location?
    :homework:...Doing the homework on my hair but failing miserably!
    *B.C 3.18.10*

I'm slowly going crazy over the progress of my hair... I'm content with the length but the texture is not how i want it!
  • whimsywhimsy Posts: 48Registered Users
    I wanna attend...details please!?
  • curlsugarcurlsugar Posts: 240Registered Users
    just a thought...

since this is getting huge, and may 8 will ideally be nice and warm, maybe we could move it to someplace like central park? we could get blankets and have a huge shindig. it would also allow people to mingle a lot more freely.

just a suggestion!

eta: it would also allow everyone the opportunity to attend who wants to.
    Natural since '03
  • NyCurLiiNyCurLii Posts: 58Registered Users
    curlsugar wrote: »
    just a thought...

since this is getting huge, and may 8 will ideally be nice and warm, maybe we could move it to someplace like central park? we could get blankets and have a huge shindig. it would also allow people to mingle a lot more freely.

just a suggestion!

i agree!
    :homework:...Doing the homework on my hair but failing miserably!
    *B.C 3.18.10*

I'm slowly going crazy over the progress of my hair... I'm content with the length but the texture is not how i want it!
  • AptlifeAptlife Posts: 86Registered Users
    NyCurLii wrote: »
    just a thought...

just a suggestion!

i agree!
    IA as well I love picnics! :D
    I think in theory it's a great idea, the only reason why i'd be opposed to it is due to the weather. May 8th is still spring.... and with spring brings RAIN!!! I think it's safer to wait until the dead of summer to schedule an outside event like Central Park.

Just my opinion :)
    Aptlife wrote: »
    NyCurLii wrote: »
    just a thought...

just a suggestion!

i agree!
    IA as well I love picnics! :D
    Hey everyone!!

WOW! I had no idea it would get this big yall! I have called and left a message with Braai to call me back and let me know what their capasity is for reserving a party of people. The last number I gave them was 30 and they didn't flinch so hopefully we should be fine. As of now, we have a little over 30 ladies that have said they want to come, so that means that best case senario like 25 should actually show up???

Central Park - I don't know nothin' 'bout no Central Park (how to get food there, do we reserve an area??) but I would be cool meeting anywhere. My only concerns with it are like Nicky 791 said, if the weather acts stupid we're screwed. Also, I always get scared to change things like location and time when plans like this have already been set in motion cause I get paranoid that someone who planned to go will be sitting up in Braai at 2pm wondering where the heck we all are! We have no way of really contacting all the ladies that have said they want to go to tell them the change in plans should we make any. We just have to hope they keep checking this site....

Details - Please check page 3 of this thread for the details of where it is (as of now) and the list of ladies attending. NYCurlii and whimsy, I'll add you guys to the list.

Holy Grails:

• CheveuxSauvageCheveuxSauvage Posts: 240Registered Users
    Hmm. Well, I don't mind meeting outdoors versus meeting in a restaurant. On a Saturday in May there will be a truckload of people in the park, so finding an area big enough for a 30-person picnic in the mid-afternoon might be difficult, but I'll throw 'bows if I have to :happy6:! Also, if we had a picnic, we'd still have to figure out a food-situation: do we make and bring stuff, or do we order it and bring it? Or does it turn into a casual, not-really-a-meal-but-lets-have-snacks kind of thing?

Since there are so many people who have already confirmed the Braii plan, more people should chime in to let us know their thoughts on this, so we know well enough in advance what we're doing (especially if some people's plans are not as flexible, as Nubian said)

So I guess my opinion is that I'm impartial. I don't have a preference either way, but there's a benefit to the "structure" of a restaurant, like easy seating.

Here's the Park's calendar for Saturday May 8th. There are 3 events happening that day (which may or may not impact the general crowd size that day)
    CALENDAR

Here's the Park map, if y'all want to scout out for the right spot
    MAP
    [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]4a/3c [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]Normal porosity [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]High density [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT] Medium-Coarse [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT]
    Ok, Braai just called me back and said their capasity for how many people I could reserve for is - wait for it - 80!! Needless to say, we are in no danger of reaching capasity as of now.

I am still cool with the Central Park idea if more ladies want to do that as well, I will go whereever the majority says BUT:

1. Braai has unlimited $8 mimosas. Central Park ain't got no mimosas.

2. Braai is a done deal. We start at square one with Central Park (food, location, space, etc.)

I'm just saying...:happy6:

CheveuxSauvage, what does "throw 'bows" mean?:confused2:

Holy Grails:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file