guar gum

hookilauhookilau Posts: 269Registered Users
I added some to my ritha herbal shampoo and I'm duly impressed. My previously watery 'rinse' textured poo is now a thick viscous liquid that after sitting in the fridge overnight is the consistency of honey.

From what I can understand thru the tech-speak jargon, guar gum is water soluble (but not oil soluble)...so for this application it's a fair choice.

What's the difference between guar gum and guar silk?
Is it just conditioning properties?
Are there any drawbacks to weigh?

I love my herbal poo recipe, it's simple and I hadn't meant to change it but I'm thrilled with the texture now.

I'm also wondering if I'm imagining things or if guar gum has conditioning qualities.
Following CG
fine, medium-low density :confused5:
protein loving, porous, elasticity ?

Co-wash: Tresemme Perfectly Undone
LI/RO: GVP Conditioning Balm, Jane Carter Solutions Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
Stylers: KCCC, AG recoil, CurlKeeper, As I am curling pudding
Protein treatments: Aphogee's Keratin 2 minute reconstructor, and Colorful neutral protein filler

Loves: aloe, glycerin & polyquats even in neg dews
:happy3:

Comments

• curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    hookilau wrote: »
    I added some to my ritha herbal shampoo and I'm duly impressed. My previously watery 'rinse' textured poo is now a thick viscous liquid that after sitting in the fridge overnight is the consistency of honey.

From what I can understand thru the tech-speak jargon, guar gum is water soluble (but not oil soluble)...so for this application it's a fair choice.

What's the difference between guar gum and guar silk?
    Is it just conditioning properties?
    Are there any drawbacks to weigh?

I love my herbal poo recipe, it's simple and I hadn't meant to change it but I'm thrilled with the texture now.

I'm also wondering if I'm imagining things or if guar gum has conditioning qualities.

Ive read guar gum is a conditioning gum and a thickner (sort of like xanthan gum but with conditioning properties). I don't know the diff between that and the guar silk tho (guar silk sounds like it may have some protein in it). If it works in your product I would use it! :compress:
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyhairmichuk/
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • runnerchickirunnerchicki Posts: 475Registered Users
    Guarsilk (that's a trademark name of guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride) is a cationic derivative of guar gum. So it is a conditioner as well as a thickener.
    FIA: 2cFii

Lady Crispina, Confector of Pharmaceutria and Conjurer of Exquisitus JuJu, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • NatucurlyNatucurly Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    So can I use guar gum if I follow CG method?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file