I just got the Marcia Teixeira BKT... Mixed Feelings!

Okay so I'm going to start by saying that my stylist told me that this was a "new" BKT that contains no real formaldehyde, but instead a substitute. I believed him b/c I smelled a BKT someone got a couple years ago and rotten eggs didn't even BEGIN to describe it! This smelled pleasant although it made my eyes burn. But moving on, he showed me that it was the MT brand so I now know that he was just uninformed cuz of course I did some Googling.

So I have type 3b-3cish hair that is really long and soft but sooo corkscrew curly that it shrinks to shoulder length no matter what I put in it- and to make it worse I live in FL so any attempt I've made at keeping it straight is ruined ASAP when I step outside- even on a seemingly normal day. I figured this would calm the curl enough for me to keep it straight for a while... So after he was done it was soft and nice and shiny and all, but honestly it isn't any more shiny than when I just get a blowout/hotcomb... And after being home (inside the house) for an hour, my hair was frizzy beyond belief. It has now been about 6 hours and it's way worse. I mean frizz so bad that I am going to buy a Chi tomorrow just so I don't have to go to work looking crazy on Monday. I didn't think this was supposed to happen??? Has anyone else had this experience?

To make it worse, as I took to the net to find some answers, I started seeing posts about hair falling out, allergic reactions, etc. And now I'm freaking out b/c I have a headache from it. Anybody have any comforting words before I run to the shower and wash out $300 and 4 hours worth of treatment?

Comments

• ibreatheglitteribreatheglitter Posts: 4Registered Users
    Ok so it's been a week since I did the first wash and I must say that most of the frizz was gone as soon as I washed and re-straightened. I have NEVER, EVER been able to straighten my own hair before, and especially not with just a blowdryer and flat-iron!! I was amazed. So it's been straight all week and while it's certainly not frizz free because it's so humid here, it is nowhere near what use to happen (the top layer of my hair dissolving into my usual frizzy curly hair while the bottom layers stay straight-ish but the ends curl up).

Overall I am very happy. I am going to wash again today and I'm thinking about leaving it curly and seeing how that works out- after last week's wash I let it air-dry a little and it was not pretty... it would still definitely need products so we'll see what I can accomplish with a little gel! Speaking of products, I was told by my stylist that it was okay to use the iron guard spray by Chi- and I used it probably about 3 times during the week. Then this morning I read the back and it has sodium in it. I AM PISSED- it has not had any noticeable effect that I can tell, but I'm still worried. So just a warning to everybody, check the ingredients in ALL products after you get your BKT, not just the shampoo and conditioner!
  • DimePiece17DimePiece17 Posts: 521Registered Users
    Any updates on your curly hair? I have an appointment to get the Marcia T on monday ( 300 bucks :/), but I'm worried! I just want wash and wear hair, not straight straight hair. The stylist said it will make my hair straight, although this is contrary to what EVERY one else has told me. I should preface this by telling you all that I was a guinea pig for a caucasian salon that wanted to try a BKT on virgin naptural hair. It was free, so I thought, why not? Anyway, the stylist did it, and that mess did not take. She only had 2 ounces to use on my hair, so when i washed it out 4 days later it was softer with less shrinkage, but def not straight. I would have been cool with the results had it not washed out of my hair 10 days later. How, you might ask? Well, i purchased Shea Moisture deep moisture mask from target and did an overnight treatment on my hair. the next day, NO BKT! Why? The 4th ingredient in this "natural/organic" product is ammonium salt!! so be careful..stay away from chlorides, salts, and sodium...even the rejuvenol bkt shampoo as sulfates in it..go figure!
    Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
    Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
    DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
    Dimefabulous-Twitter name
    http://dimepieceonadime.tumblr.com/
  • halogen1halogen1 Posts: 21Registered Users
    Hi:

I have 3c curls with some 3b. With the right products, my curls will hang past my shoulders. Yesterday, I did the BKT myself. I'm curious, which BKT was it, the regular or the chocolate that you had done?

Anyway, it was very time consuming. Combing the product into my hair was no problem. It was the blowdrying and flat ironing that was a pain! Oh, I don't think that your stylist was mistaken. MT stands for Marcia Teixeira.:thumbright:

As the product dried in my hair, my hair felt very sticky. And because you can only dry the hair with medium to cold temperatures, it took such a long time. So when my hair was 100% dry, I proceded to flat iron. I didn't even bother with trying to dry it with a round brush, to get some of the curl out. It was all up to the flat iron to do some magic!

Flat ironing was the worst part. (I hate it when the worst comes last.) Even though I had combed the BKT into my hair with ease, you'd think I hadn't combed my hair in months, the way my hair was so hard to comb--when sectioning it to be flat ironed. I found that if I first flat ironed it with 1 pass and then combed each section, there were less tangles. I would then just repeat passing the iron through that section until my hair was as straight as I could get it.

So here I am, morning after the night of my BKT. My hair doesn't feel sleek. I can feel a bit of residue from the product. Although when looking in the mirror, my hair looks like it has a slight natural sheen. When combing my hair, it feels like there are tangles, although it's straight; so running my fingers through it is iffy.

My hair isn't bone straight. It's more so 70s Caucasion brunette hippy straight, or Hawaiian girl straight! There's a slight hint of fluff. HOWEVER, I am going to go over my hair again today, to try to make it straighter.

On another note, I've had lots of people try to straigten my hair over the years. The best results came from a guy in San Jose, CA, at this salon that I could not remember the name of. I couldn't even find it when I went driving there 6 years later! What I noticed is that He blow dried my hair so straight with just a comb attachment, that I thought that WAS it; he was done. BUT then, he sent me off to this lady to have my hair hot combed and curling ironed. My straight hair lasted for 3-4 weeks! It was so straight and looked natural, that my boyfriend was shocked thinking I looked middle eastern...I'm black/white :love8: (bi-racial) and always get called "light-skinned" black girl...so "middle eastern" let's you know that the man had worked a hair miracle.

Okay, so the blow-drying mentioned above? Dude was in another zone! He was singing classic soul and R&B along with the radio. He was sliding his fingers and that dryer through my hair, all to this rhythm, like a choreographed routine...I have never been able to turn blow-drying into a magical experience like he did. But that man DID work magic on my hair, and I wish I knew who he was, to learn his technique. But yes, the trick to straight hair IS in the blow-drying...maybe blow-drying with no product is what he did? Then oil was only added when my hair was pressed and curled? I just don't know.

...Well, I will post a follow-up to say what happens after washing my hair next Tuesday/Wednesday. We'll see how this BKT holds up. I hear that the regular BKT might work better than the chocolate, but we'll see.

I paid about $80 for all the MT (Marcia Teixeira) products: BKT, Pre-treatment Shampoo, Buriti Serum/Oil, and the Conditoner for color-treated hair. The 3oz. bottle was more than enough for my hair; it hangs 1-2 inches past my shoulders when curly. When straight, the longest parts go to my mid-back. But my hair is thin, so maybe that makes a difference too? But it's also porous...the manual says that 3oz. is enough BKT for most hair. Oh, haven't used the oil yet. Will add it when done with the final touch up flat ironing today.
    I might have a lot of hair, but it's microscopicly thin! Fine and 3C curly, my locks are; don't make me choose BETEEN the two, Product Makers!
    The ONLY seller I know only ships out every few months, so it's torture waiting for her to send her emails so we can place our orders. I missed her last shipment so I've been waiting for months. Her stuff is really hard to come by, so if you can point me to your seller I'd really appreciate it!
    Hi:

I got the product from saveonudotcom. Again, it's the chocolate. If the site doesn't come up in this post, send me a message to my inbox and I'll reply.

Re: my current results, it's the end of day 4. Tomorrow, I can wet/wash my hair. I kind of don't want to. I have flat ironed and pressed my hair so much, that I'd hate to destroy all my efforts. I'm a bit fearful too that all this work/effort might have been for naught! (Never used that word, but felt inspired.:blah5:) I don't want to end up with my hair exactly the same as before, just even weaker from all the heat styling.

When using the BKT, the FUMES did get to me. And it wasn't really the heat appliances, it was just inhaling the product on it's own. Whether I got too close to the mix or when the luke warm blow dryer air blew into my face. BUT, this discomfort can be avoided if you just point the appliances away from your face and lean away when you see the smoke from your flat iron, etc. I don't get how anyone could use a mask because the elastic would get in the way of the hair styling/processing.

But after all the follow-up heat straightening, my hair is pretty smooth. Not sticky any more. There's a bit more body than I'd like; hair has a hint of fluff to it.

Hot 'n' Silky seems to be the only manufacturer that makes a hot enough pressing comb, which helps if you have thin hair that's got 3C to 4a-c sized curls. That pressing comb gets up to a 500F deg. temperature. I used my TS-2 flat iron becuase it heats up to 475F deg., but I did need the pressing comb to finish the job...I hear Ella makes a flat iron that heats to 475F deg. too.

The BKT manual says to use a 450 deg flat iron, but I just felt like a higher heat setting straightens my hair better; it doesn't say that you can't use a hotter one either. Not sure about the ceramic coatings on modern hair appliances. The ones made out of metal, like 24k gold just seem to straighten better or the metals in the old fashioned and marcel irons.

Hope this helps!
    I might have a lot of hair, but it's microscopicly thin! Fine and 3C curly, my locks are; don't make me choose BETEEN the two, Product Makers!
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl I wouldn't go anywhere NEAR a pressing comb! Oh lord, I'm so traumatized by those! And why are you using a pressing comb with a BKT? I've never heard of that before. Does it help things along? I've done about 10 of these treatments at hom now, so I'm okay with the fumes. I just want to try the Marcia T. Right now I'm using QOD gold.

The heat and BKT issue:

I'm not sure higher heat does the trick. I think the many of that are experiencing the dual textures ( roots vs bktd ends) is perhaps because our hair has been heat damanged during the process, because keratin DOES wash out eventually, so perhaps, the hair that we have that doesn't seem to revert is because it's been permanantly altered due to the heat.

Also, I'd personally stick with the titanium irons like babyliss. Not every iron will bond the treatment to your hair properly.
    [Sorry, please see my below post...don't know how to delete this post.]
    Hairguru17 wrote: »
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl I wouldn't go anywhere NEAR a pressing comb! Oh lord, I'm so traumatized by those! And why are you using a pressing comb with a BKT? I've never heard of that before. Does it help things along? I've done about 10 of these treatments at hom now, so I'm okay with the fumes. I just want to try the Marcia T. Right now I'm using QOD gold.

The heat and BKT issue:

I'm not sure higher heat does the trick. I think the many of that are experiencing the dual textures ( roots vs bktd ends) is perhaps because our hair has been heat damanged during the process, because keratin DOES wash out eventually, so perhaps, the hair that we have that doesn't seem to revert is because it's been permanantly altered due to the heat.

Also, I'd personally stick with the titanium irons like babyliss. Not every iron will bond the treatment to your hair properly.

Hey,

This was my first BKT, so I just wanted to post my take on it and what I did, in case it helps others. With or without the BKT, my hair DOES NOT get stick straight with just a flat iron. It's always got that Hawiian girl, or hippy fluff. Like I said, the only time it's gotten bone straight with appliances is when that San Jose dude blow-dried it to perfection, and then it was "bumped" and "hot combed" and flat ironed, with awesome results for a month.

This is mentioned online somewhere too, but unless your hair is perfectly taught, a flat iron will typically just flatten your hair; I'm talking about really curly or tight curly hair to start with; that's why those flat irons with teeth are popular with some people. So if you're trying to get curls straight, it can press small waves/curls flat, never achieving that straight look. If you look at the Maxius infomercial, you can see that, but I know it first hand from experience. A hot comb has finer teeth that can get between the hair, pulling it taught and also appling heat to fine strands, which I have...if I had 3 hands, maybe I could get better results with a flat iron, but unfortunately it's always easier when someone else styles your hair vs. you doing it on your own.

I'm not sure of your texture, porosity, etc. but I have a lot of fine hair. It can look thick when curly or combed out, but when it has been straight, it all makes the thinnest braid; optical illusion.

OK, back the what I came here to post. The RESULTS. Well, I didn't wash out Marcia Teixeira Chocolate BKT for 7 days. I just was worried that it might not work, so I waited longer. The texture doesn't feel as soft as it did before, but IT IS more noticeably shiner. BUT, my hair isn't much different from before otherwise. My curls are looser and it's a tad bit easier to comb my hair, but I don't think that I would go through all this trouble again for just small results...I read on Amazon (someone's BKT review) that the regular BKT worked better on them than the chocolate. So maybe I'll try the regular one next time, if I do this again.

And the Buriti oil, I don't think it's worth paying all that money for. It's a combo of oil and cones, plus other ingredients, and it didn't seal my hair, as to stop it from starting to wave after a few hours.

I think that I'll just try "flat brushing" my hair with a paddle brush and blow dryer. My goal now is to achieve great results for straight hair via good technique vs. using a lot of appliances and products. My hair has been "round brush" straightened before, no other appliances and products used, but that was France and there were two people doing it. It didn't last long, but the results were good enough. I can always use a hot comb to touch up the edges.

I actually love my curls, but I can't spend all that time combing them in the shower. Trying to switch up the routine for the winter months. I hope to go curly again in the Spring.

:salute:
  • zalimzalim Posts: 52Registered Users
    I had the Global Keratin Hair Taming (GKair) done two weeks ago and my hair wasn't any shinier coming out of the salon than it was pre-treatment when blown out straight. I find that the shine increases AFTER your first wash. The formula, which still in your hair, probably makes it duller than it actually is.

I also had a headache when I came home from the salon. It went away after I got some sleep.
  • bbronderbbronder Posts: 3Registered Users
    I had my hair done with Marcia Teixeira product and completely broke off my hair on the top, it also happened to my nanny and other people I happened to meet. Ever since my hair has never been the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not know how this product is still selling on the market, it has tons of formaldehyde and it kills the hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!! From what I heard she is in big touble and even selling her company ... Stay away from Marcia Teixeira keratin treatments, I've also heard that peter Coppola ins't any better! Before she even came out with this so called Marcia teixeira many of people I know had it done in her house, not only was she working without a license at that time neither did she have any clue! friends asked why their eyes were burning her excuse was that it was onions in the product.. I do not know how this product was even approved by the FDA, keratin treatment is not suppose to make your hair pin straight, only happens when it contains a lot of formaldehyde and low quality ingredients within the product,,, I would stay far far way from any of her products,,,,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file