transitioning ...HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Kenesha2010Kenesha2010 Registered Users Posts: 7
Hi! I am 17 years old and i have been transitioning from relaxed to natural hair for almost a year. During the process, I have been slowly cutting the relaxed hair off. Now my senior prom is coming up but I have no idea what style I will be able to rock without sweating my hair out. I was thinking about cutting the rest of my perm off and just getting extensions to match my hair. What do you think? also I have been using KeraCare Sulfate Free Hydrating Detangling Shampoo, Kera soft ActiSilk Leave In Conditioner, and Mizani Conditioning hairdress. Am I using the right products?

Comments

• calmwithcurlscalmwithcurls Registered Users Posts: 78
    Hi! I've been transitioning for a while now and I don't think your products are bad if you are getting enough moisture from them but I would encourage hair products with less chemicals and more natural ingredients so your hair gets what it needs. Another thing you need to consider is how frequently you use your products. How frequently do you deep condition your hair and use your shampoo? What do you normally do for styling and how long has your hair grown so far? (Sorry about all the questions but more info would be helpful:angel9:)
    6 months into transitioning! :lol:
    Hair Type: Don't care now, just want it long enough to be put in a ponytail :hippy2:
    New Hair Resolution: Hair Health and Length!
    :wav:
  • Kenesha2010Kenesha2010 Registered Users Posts: 7
    i deep condition about every 3 weeks or more and its the same with shampooing. I usually wear my hair straight. I get the straightening comb run through it and I flat iron every now and then. I recently cut my hair a little above my shoulders and my hair growth is maybe 3 or 4 inches....I have no problem with all the questions im just happy u are helping me:smile:

also i have natural red hair but it dries out so easily even with all my conditioning..do u know any tricks to help with that?
  • ljb415ljb415 Registered Users Posts: 6
    When i was transitioning, (all natural now) i did'nt shampoo but 1 time a month. I co washed 1 a week and used Hot Six oil for my dryness. I began to use a mixture of tea tree oil 1 part, grapeseed oil 2 parts, and olive oil 2 parts. mix together in some kind od spray bottle. I would do this when i wasn't using the hot six oil. I mostly put on scalp, then ran thru hair with hands. I did this every other day.
    thank you sooooooooooo much
    Sorry it took a little while to respond. This is kinda long. :computer:

Since you are transitioning it's a great excuse to try out some heatless styling that will allow you to wash your hair more. You can get cute curly styles doing braid outs, bantu knots, etc. to imitate naturally curly hair and these are used by people with naturally curly hair too.

This is for the Bantu Knots
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ad.php?t=82173

This link is for the Braid Outs
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta....php?p=1225168

Watch this video too! If you want to try a new way to straigthen your hair!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79VX7CuFKrk

I personally do braid outs about 3 times a week which helped with my hair dryness. For you I would consider trying to deep condition once a week since your hair is in a more delicate state especially with the contant straigtening. I'm sure you can continue this heat styling for a while but if you keep this up for too long your new growth will lose some of it's curl. You can also try leave in conditioners or try leaving in your conditioner to keep your hair hydrated. Try looking for moisturizing shampoos and more organic conditioners like Giovanni, Aubery Organics, Jane Carter and others which can be found at Whole Foods, Vitamin Shoppe (I think), Walmart and Target. The majority are pretty inexpensive and I have known Whole Foods to have sales before so as a fellow teenager know that I'm not trying to force you to spend all your money on hair products. A lot of people had success with these brands and you can easily search for threads and reviews on this site. If you still want to have straight do rollersets and make sure you use protective creams or gels on your hair. Here are some good hair blogs.

Mane and Chic
    http://maneandchic.blogspot.com/search/label/Transitioners

Natural Chica
    http://www.naturalchica.com/

And Look at this too!
    http://clutchmagonline.com/beauty/the-ten-natural-hair-commandments/

Don't forget to explore this website as well, you never know what you may find! :occasion9:
    Hair Type: Don't care now, just want it long enough to be put in a ponytail :hippy2:
    thanks and today i just got the rest of the perm cut off
    Congrats! How long did your hair grow? :laughing8: I plan on cutting off my hair around the time you did and I'm pretty curious. What was it like?
    it came out pretty good the picture o have is too big for the site but my hair stops at the bottom of my neck and it is really soft and bouncy...I LOVE IT!
    Wow! Thanks for your help. I don't know when I want to BC but I know have to wait until after senior pictures so that will be at least 9 months of transitioning by then. By the way, did your hair do anything weird after your BC besides shrink a little? I heard that people's hair transform or something like that. :? Now THAT, sounds interesting but I'm not sure if anyone had discussed in depth before. :study:
    so far i just notice the different textures. the edges, back, and middle of my head is the curliest and real pretty, but the front is really kinky.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file