Detangling Wet is Overated

totallytwisted<3totallytwisted<3 Posts: 228Registered Users
So in my last thread I mentioned that I tried the dry braid n curl that curlynikki is using lately, which involves combing dry. With my new seamless wide tooth comb and D31 I found I lost wayyy less hair than I did previously wet and soaked with conditioner. Well today I saw kimmaytube's new method of washing and she detangles before she washes with her hair saturated with olive oil. I decided to do the same but with castor oil today. THIS WAS AMAZING!!! I lost the least amount of hair I ever have since I've been natural. I did not feel pain or pressure on my tender headed scalp. The combs literally glided though my hair and where easily detangled. I will no longer detangle sopping wet hair laden with conditioner anymore. Here's the link to her method. I highly recommend this for ppl who are still having trouble detangling their hair. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1FQ79FD2VY
Last Relaxer December 4, 2008
BC Date March 13, 2009

Ultimate hair goal: APL braidout / WL straight

event.png

Current Loves are henna & hair steaming

http://members.fotki.com/backtobasics/about UPDATED!!! 8/07/10

Comments

• AptlifeAptlife Posts: 86Registered Users
    Yeah, I saw that a while ago, I love her channel. I have braids in my hair, but as soon as I take them out, I plan to try her method.
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you!

My hot water during winter runs out after about 5-7 minutes. Not nearly enough time to detangle so this new technique will help a lot.

I love her hair too.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • blackmagicroseblackmagicrose Posts: 160Registered Users
    I love her youtube channel. I saw this when it was originally posted but didn't try it out then. Think I'm going to do this tomorrow when I wash my hair.
  • sunshowersunshower Posts: 229Registered Users
    funny you should post this because i'm trying CurlyNikki's dry braid-n-curl today, and i combed my hair dry for the first time in...shoot, i don't even know. i was so nervous when i took the comb to my head. lol! but i was patient and went slow, and i actually lost very, very little hair. i was pleasantly surprised.

i'll check out the link. maybe i'll try that method sometime.
    --Tiffany--
    *Reformed PJ*
    3c/4a - coarse and super thick, APL when curly, somewhere around WL when stretched
    http://public.fotki.com/hokukoroku/ - i never update. shame on me :(

Last Relaxer - January 30, 1999
    BC - March 21, 2000

Currently using: AO HSR & GPB conditioners, Vatika Oil, SheaMoisture, homemade African Black Soap shampoo & hair lotion.
  • Precious CurlsPrecious Curls Posts: 448Registered Users
    woww! this was a great video, thanks for sharing! i think i definitely need to start washing and conditioning my hair like this, bc usually i experience a lot of breakage when washing/conditioning my hair once a week. i bookmarked this video. her hair's incredibly awesome! cant wait for mine to be that long and healthy looking! :)
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I've tried it dry....and unless my hair was in twists and saturated with oil right before taking them out, I have to detangle on wet hair. I loose more hair detangling on dry, maybe because it gets so big when it's dry, making me have to work harder.

I don't even detangle in the shower. I shampoo, clip my hair back and then get out and apply conditioner and detangle.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Posts: 1,166Registered Users
    I use to detangle dry ALL the time BUT, I saturated my hair in conditioner instead of oil. I worked in small sections and put my hair in about six medium size sections by the time I was done. NO WATER WAS ADDED DURING THIS PROCESS!

I used those same seconds to wash, condtioner, moisture and style. I used to love this so thanks for the reminder. I'll revisit and hopefully save some time because lately I've dreaded doing my hair on the weekends.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    I never detangle wet. I never detangle with conditioner either. It's a rare time that I have a hard time detangling dry. Qb detangling ghee is my best friend.
  • totallytwisted<3totallytwisted<3 Posts: 228Registered Users
    empressri wrote: »
    I've tried it dry....and unless my hair was in twists and saturated with oil right before taking them out, I have to detangle on wet hair. I loose more hair detangling on dry, maybe because it gets so big when it's dry, making me have to work harder.

I don't even detangle in the shower. I shampoo, clip my hair back and then get out and apply conditioner and detangle.

That's exactly the point to detangle with your hair saturated with oil instead of wet with conditioner.
    BC Date March 13, 2009

event.png

• NoodleNapsNoodleNaps Posts: 463Registered Users
    Always looking for ways to cut down washing (and especially detangling) time, so I'm going to try this. Thanks for the link!

Am I the only person whose hair doesn't STAY detangled though? When I see people smoothly rake products through hair, I'm like HOW???
    Products in current rotation:

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far

That's exactly the point to detangle with your hair saturated with oil instead of wet with conditioner.

No... The point for me is my hair is stretched when it's twisted. I don't know how everyone else twists but when I do I comb each section of hair before twisting so essentially, it's not really going to be all that much tangled. If I'm coming it's just to get out shed hair.

If I oiled my hair loose and tried to detangle....oh HELL no, my hair would put on its boxing gloves and be like "it's going DOWN!!!!"

But if my hair is loose and I'm about to wash it, I wet it first in the shower and THEN detangle. My hair typically has some sort of slip to it once the water hits it from the styling products, moisturizers or whatever I'd used to style my hair. Then once my entire head is done, I shampoo.
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • NikG20NikG20 Posts: 461Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I detangle my daughters dry hair often with virgin coconut oil. Works great!! Her hair has to be stretched first though.
    Hz5exYvWIb4
    Children's Natural Hair Care & Styling Blog:
  • maybejadeymaybejadey Posts: 198Registered Users
    NoodleNaps wrote: »
    Always looking for ways to cut down washing (and especially detangling) time, so I'm going to try this. Thanks for the link!

Am I the only person whose hair doesn't STAY detangled though? When I see people smoothly rake products through hair, I'm like HOW???

I'm the exact same way, Noodle. Doesn't matter how carefully I've just detangled a small section, 15 seconds later a comb will refuse to slide through. And forget raking product. I've come to the conclusion that the pull and catching I get is 95% of the time NOT a tangle but just my hair shrinking/re-coiling against the teeth of the comb/brush. Result = a bunch of coils on the other side of the comb refusing to neatly stretch out and slide through because *I've* bunched them all up. Feels just like a tangle. The few times I've gotten frustrated enough to just rip through through, whole strands of neatly clumped coils come out, hardly looking tangled.

If I want a raking effect, I'll shingle with my fingers. It'll take a long time, but it looks nice. Otherwise, shaking wet hair does wonders for separating and defining my coils.
    Hair Type: A collection of incredibly dense, gravity-defying very defined coffee-stirrer diameter coils. I am currently exclusively wearing wash-and gos.

Products
    :Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner (low-poo), Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Grapeseed Oil, KCCC or Ecostyler Gel (stylers)

• newbraidernewbraider Posts: 207Registered Users
    Her videos are so professional. Very nice. If she could manage to sound less like she was reading a script ( I know she is but she doesn't have to sound like it), that would be great.

Her hair is WOW!
    Hair type - 4b :: Current Length - Zilch inches
    Umpteenth (+1) big chop - December 5, 2011
    Weight loss goal tracker :: Lost 12 pounds
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    My detangling method works for me. I'm sure this is a great method for some, but not for all.

Plus, the only REAL time I have trouble detangling is if I'm due for a trim. Other than that, easy peasy.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
    nea i notice that too. ends that need a trim make it harder to detangle, the comb just snags on them.
    [/B]
  • NikG20NikG20 Posts: 461Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wait a minute, I just watched her video and her hair is wet. She applied the oil to wet hair. Hmm, by your title I thought her hair was going to be dry. Oh well.
    Hz5exYvWIb4
    Children's Natural Hair Care & Styling Blog:
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Posts: 626Registered Users
    I get the best detaglinging when I spritz my hair with water and apply either

Warm Olive oil
    or
    Afro dentalger

and just let it sit for a while

My fingers and brushes or more easily able to slip thur.

Plus I really think its a waste of water & resources, to stand there and detangle in the shower.
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • NubianCoilsNubianCoils Posts: 2,149Registered Users

You are not alone. By the time I'm finished detangling my last section of hair, I can no longer run my fingers through the first section I detangled. Banding and HE conditioners have helped me a lot, but I still have to either twist my hair to keep it detangled or just deal with the fact that if I wear a w-n-g, it's not going to stay completely detangled.
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    This is a great technique! I have serious tangling issues. I'm going to try this. :smurfin:
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:

No... The point for me is my hair is stretched when it's twisted. I don't know how everyone else twists but when I do I comb each section of hair before twisting so essentially, it's not really going to be all that much tangled. If I'm coming it's just to get out shed hair.

If I oiled my hair loose and tried to detangle....oh HELL no, my hair would put on its boxing gloves and be like "it's going DOWN!!!!"

But if my hair is loose and I'm about to wash it, I wet it first in the shower and THEN detangle. My hair typically has some sort of slip to it once the water hits it from the styling products, moisturizers or whatever I'd used to style my hair. Then once my entire head is done, I shampoo.
    NikG20 wrote: »
    Wait a minute, I just watched her video and her hair is wet. She applied the oil to wet hair. Hmm, by your title I thought her hair was going to be dry. Oh well.

Empressi, thanks for explaining. I was confused at first. You are 110% correct. I don't do wash n go's anymore my hair is always stretched out in either braid outs or in protective styles, so that maybe why it worked so well for me. I don't think this would work on hair that was not stretched out. NikG20 sorry about the title you are right it's a bit misleading. I did a slight alteration from what kimmaytube did. I saturated my hair in oil then spritzed a lil water on it (not drenched in the shower) and then detangled. My hair was only damp. What I meant by the title is that in the past I would soak my hair with water and lather on condish and then detangle so my hair was sopping wet with condish and I would do it AFTER I washed. I think this lead to a lot of tangles and all the conditioner prevented me from accurately seeing tangles and shed hair and what not. I would snag through a knot without even seeing it until it was too late. Also hair is at it's weakest wet, so I get less snapping with it damp and the oil provides the slip. Hope that makes sense now.
    BC Date March 13, 2009

event.png

• afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

No your not. When I use silicone products it doesn't do that though.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    I wouldn't say detangling wet is overrated. That would be generalizing. I'd say it's not for everyone. We could all have "4A" hair and each have it react differently to different methods and products.

I've tried detangling dry, oily, wet, before washing, after washing, with a brush, with a comb, etc...

The only way my 3C/4A curls detangle is sopping wet with a moisturizing conditioner. (With Renpure Organics -the red bottle-, I leave the conditioner in for just a couple minutes and I am able to rake my fingers through my curls in about 30 seconds!)

So it all just depends on your hair...

(I finally got a great pic to show off my shiny new haircut, but I have to figure out how to make it smaller -less pixels- to show it off!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
  • freshwaterpearlfreshwaterpearl Posts: 305Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for posting this video, I've gained a different insight from watching her hair videos. I will give this method a try. Newbraider the reason she may sound like that is because she is a visual artist/speaker and she is hired by different fortune 500 companies to give presentations, that may be one of the reasons why she may sound like she is reading from a script but I doubt it; because she is a public speaker. At this point it may come natural to her, HTH.
  • EkuaSoulEkuaSoul Posts: 870Registered Users
    Its funny how a lot of techniques that were done when my hair were relaxed are coming up for natural hair now. It was a must that my hair was detangled prior to washing it when it was relaxed.

Still for me, given that my hair loves to curl and curl and curl, I'm not sure if dry detangling will work now. If I washing right after taking down braids or twists, yes, my hair is still pretty loose. But I typically will wear a braidout/twistout for a few days before washing, so my hair has had time to curl up again.

As I currently detangle, banding and doing my hair in sections has been my friend for a while now.

Now my question is, who has a technique to help with my roots??? Not sure if this technique will work, but I actually have a harder time detangling at my roots sometimes... Is anyone else having this issue?
    EkuaSoul - Ninja PJ :batman:
    AyurNatural Beauty
    Facebook | Blog | Hair

• Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Posts: 1,166Registered Users

I never added water when I detangled my hair dry with conditioner. I used conditioner only. Adding water made it more difficult to me.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
  • CoilyOne1812CoilyOne1812 Posts: 384Registered Users
    You are not the only one.
    Also, I was one of those who had to "discover" wet detangling. That discovery was life altering. My hair is not the dry detangling kind. I'm not into stretching my hair, I have very different textures living side by side, my shed hair doesn't shed on its own, my hair is not a fan of oils, and it's naturally the driest of the dry. Oh and my hair is longer than it's ever been. All of that means wet detangling my hair with more than my fingers could never be overrated.

layer cake of tight, spongy and silky/thready S strands that kink more than they coil
    spiced with a few spiral coils and non-curling waves
    mostly medium and fine with a sprinkle of coarse strands
    protein is yummy
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For me detangling on wet hair is not overrated. I don't really have any issues with detangling my wet conditioned hair.. as long as it soaking wet it's not that much of an issue. And it's probably because I always have in a leave-in that provides slip.

I looked at the kimmatube video.. I thought her hair was going to be dry..LOL! She was in the shower with it wet! I do REALLY like her olive oil addition though. I use olive oil and castor oil on my hair every day.. and I bet that has really helped my detangle process too...having that bit of extra slip. I just never thought about it until I saw her video.

I am a wash n go girl 99.9% of the time. I never do braid outs, twist outs, etc. So the detangling in the shower works best for me. I think a dry detangle would be a bunch of extra work and time for me plus I'd rather not risk the breakage.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • chenajchenaj Posts: 352Registered Users
    I dont detangle much (casue i'm lazy), but when i do its never on soaking wet hair. I always blot my hair with a t-shirt so its damp, then apply either an oil or a pommde and detangle that way. I loose a lot less hair when i do it this way
    hair type - definately 4a

wash - any baby shampoo

conditioning styler - homemade blend with shea, coconut, avocado mango, plam, castor, almond and essential oils

Hair pics http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=84285
    KurleeEdna wrote: »
    I wouldn't say detangling wet is overrated. That would be generalizing. I'd say it's not for everyone. We could all have "4A" hair and each have it react differently to different methods and products.

I've tried detangling dry, oily, wet, before washing, after washing, with a brush, with a comb, etc...

The only way my 3C/4A curls detangle is sopping wet with a moisturizing conditioner. (With Renpure Organics -the red bottle-, I leave the conditioner in for just a couple minutes and I am able to rake my fingers through my curls in about 30 seconds!)

So it all just depends on your hair...

(I finally got a great pic to show off my shiny new haircut, but I have to figure out how to make it smaller -less pixels- to show it off!)

Yea you right it just depends on the hair. But I felt when I went natural that I HAD to detangle wet filled with conditioner because that's what everyone was saying was the best way to do it. I never saw anyone talking about any alternatives. I just posted this to let ppl who are starting out or are having probs with wet detangling know that it actually might work better if it wasn't sopping wet with conditioner.
    BC Date March 13, 2009

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file