Has anyone ever had this problem???

chenajchenaj Posts: 352Registered Users
I have a friend who has been suffering from alopecia for a while. However, since January of this year she has been taking better care or her hair and there has a lot of improvement, especially in the texture of her hair (she has very fine 4b/c hair).

Her hair is filling out nicely everywhere except for the sides where she has downy baby hairs. The hair on the sides is definately growing, her follicles are active (they were kind of dormant before), but its just snapping off. Overall, her hair is really moisturised now and can't take any more moisture without breaking; it can't take any more protein either without breaking.

She has been doing ayurvedic pastes, as well as taking ayurvedic treatments internally and topically. Until recently she was just spritzing and sealing twice a day, then once a day, but now even spritzing is making her hair break off and the only oil that wont make her hair break is emu oil.

She has basically stopped moisturising casue her hair is breaking with the moisture products as well as with the straight protein products (like AOGPB).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what she can do to stop the breakage, especially on the sides?

TIA ladies!!!
hair type - definately 4a

wash - any baby shampoo

conditioning styler - homemade blend with shea, coconut, avocado mango, plam, castor, almond and essential oils

Hair pics http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=84285

Comments

• PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    This is one heck of an issue. Both protein and moisture cause breakage.

Why is she doing so much- several times a day? I cowash once a week and seal at that time. Sometimes bi weekly and then just let it be.

How is she styling her hair? Maybe more protective styles?

Maybe she should really strip her routine to something basic and natural with less steps to reduce handling.

She could try water washing (for a while) or applying ayurvedic pastes to her scalp only for cleansing and letting it rinse down her hair.

Perhaps should could try pure aloe juice/and gel for moisture instead of a product.

If the emu oil works then keep with it. I hear it is also good for growth.

I would keep up with the supplements/internal things she is taking because it sounds like the hair may be very weak and fragile - it could be an internal issue.

How is her diet?
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

I also wanted to ask if the ayurvedic herbs she was taking internally were food grade/organic?

I am just asking because products cleared for topical use can be held to looser standards than those used internally. So that could play an issue in the strength of the hair- if there is something in the herb - pesticide, chemical used when processing etc that doesn't agree with her.

I hope your friend can find some solutions to her issues soon.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

• chenajchenaj Posts: 352Registered Users
    Thanks for responding Prettycurls! She tried aloevera gel last night and had no berakage! I was telling her to go with the jucie instead cause the gel might be too heavy/thick for her hair which is so fragile. Does it matter though??

She has about 1 -1 1/2 inches of hair on head, so no length really.

She went to an ayurvedic practitioner and had a consultation. He gave her something to use 2 x a week, oils and a shampoo. plus the stuff to take internally. That said i dont know if the internal stuff is organic or not.

She does an ayurvedic paste once a week, but she moisturises and seals every day becasue she says her hair feels hard and dry in the mornings when she wakes up. I will suggest only doing it when she does her treatments - 3 x a week.

I also told her about Megatek - but maybe thats not a good idea?????
    hair type - definately 4a

wash - any baby shampoo

conditioning styler - homemade blend with shea, coconut, avocado mango, plam, castor, almond and essential oils

Hair pics http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=84285
    No problem.

Good the aloe worked! I think the juice and gel are the same - different forms. Just as long as it is pure aloe.

When she talked to the practitioner, was this before the hair breakage? Has she been back to see this person after her breakage issues? I would hope that the supplements are organic/food grade.

In my opinion I think she should substantially reduce her routine until she can find the culprit of the breakage. Especially since her hair is very downy and fragile.

Topical ayurvedic pastes can act as a protein on the hair and aid in protein retention. That is why her hair feels hard and dry after the pastes. Also depending on the sift of the paste they can be difficult to wash completely out.

I am not familiar with megatek, but I would examine whether it can act as a protein on the hair or not. Since excess protein and excess moisture are causing her damage.

HTHs
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file