Training Day???

NyCurLiiNyCurLii Posts: 58Registered Users
Hey everyone! I have made the BC about a week ago and I have a E(eeny) TWA lol! it is super short do to the fact that I am only 2 month in since my last perm. I knew I wanted to go natural but i didnt know there would be so much that goes into it! I'm doing my homework daily but i still have a host of questions! One thats on the top of my list is "training". I've read somewhere that hair can eventually be "trained" to form a natural curl pattern... Is this true and if so how can I train my 4b to form a natural curl pattern?? I also have a few more questions...
1. can anyone suggest some products that will eliminate dryness?
2. what regimens have worked for you guys?
Please help!
:homework:...Doing the homework on my hair but failing miserably!
*B.C 3.18.10*

I'm slowly going crazy over the progress of my hair... I'm content with the length but the texture is not how i want it!

Comments

• maybejadeymaybejadey Posts: 198Registered Users
    I don't know about training your hair to do anything that it isn't supposed to do naturally, but you can stop manipulating your hair so much as to allow your natural curl pattern to reform and/or you can do twistouts/braidouts/bantu-knots/fingercoils etc., etc., to mold different curls/coils into your hair.

Dryness
    Get a good deep conditioner. I happen to like Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle and Rose.

Rethink how often you are shampooing your hair. Are you using sulfates? Are you making sure to deep condition afterwords so that you don't leave your hair naked, stripped, and sad?

Make sure to use a leave-in conditioner and/or leave in some of your normal conditioner as long as the ingredients are friendly to your hair.

Seal the moisture in with a healthy oil (i.e., NOT petrolatum or any of the other myriad names that mineral oil goes by) or butter (like shea).

Products: Folks seem to love Qhemets Amla and Olive Oil Heavy Cream, her light Burdock Root moisturizer if you've lighter strands, and her Honey Hydrating Balm.

Regimens
    I'm a daily co-washer who rarely uses even low poos. I do wash and go's just about everyday. My hair dislikes oil. My products are AOHR, Giovanni Direct Leave-in, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KC Knot Today[/buylink], and the Curling Custard, and some other cheaper gels that I keep around. I believe in keeping it simple and manageable because law school sure ain't.
    Hair Type: A collection of incredibly dense, gravity-defying very defined coffee-stirrer diameter coils. I am currently exclusively wearing wash-and gos.

Products
    :Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner (low-poo), Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Grapeseed Oil, KCCC or Ecostyler Gel (stylers)

• NyCurLiiNyCurLii Posts: 58Registered Users
    Yeah thats what i thought! I was like training your hair?.. thanks for clearing that up. To be honest I do not know what my hair likes because of the years of wear and tear from the salon and all the heat I applied to it. :( this will me a challenge in itself to see what it likes and dislikes but I will be patient and just use some trial and error!
    Thanks and God Bless
    *B.C 3.18.10*

I'm slowly going crazy over the progress of my hair... I'm content with the length but the texture is not how i want it!
  • cassadie3cassadie3 Posts: 506Registered Users
    I think "leaving it alone" is the best way to "train" your hair. When I first BC'ed I always detangled with a comb in the shower. Now, I havent touched a comb since January and I only use my fingers to detangle and my hair is SO much curlier! It's really impressive the difference between when I was combing and when I wasnt....I dunno, I always had this *afro-helmet* thang going on when I was combing...
    :::::::joie de vivre:::::::
    last relaxer: November 2008
    big chop: November 2009
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    4a, fine, dense, teeny weeny coils with low porosity

• maybejadeymaybejadey Posts: 198Registered Users
    cassadie3 wrote: »
    It's really impressive the difference between when I was combing and when I wasnt....I dunno, I always had this *afro-helmet* thang going on when I was combing...

Lol at the afro helmet! That was so my hair before I stepped away from the combs.
    Hair Type: A collection of incredibly dense, gravity-defying very defined coffee-stirrer diameter coils. I am currently exclusively wearing wash-and gos.

Products
    :Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner (low-poo), Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Grapeseed Oil, KCCC or Ecostyler Gel (stylers)

• arkanfinearkanfine Posts: 209Registered Users
    It has been one month since my BC. I stopped combing about two eeks ago and now I have thest definition. So I have to agree! Combs are the devil!
    :batman:
    Hair Type:3c/4a/4b
    LOIS:OS thick strands w/ thready texture
    Porosity:non-porous

my fotki: http://public.fotki.com/kutenkurly/

030-th.jpg
  • NyCurLiiNyCurLii Posts: 58Registered Users
    Thanks you guys...or CG's!!;-) As you can see from the sig I BC'd a month ago and I haven't picked up a comb since then. And while I do admit the difference is very noticable.....My curls aren't how I thought they would be. Its is hard to explain. Like the back of my head as curls that you can see and feel but they aren't....IDK there are still some fly away patches in my head if that makes sense. ANd the top of my head has little to no curl definition! What do I do? To be honest I was hoping to us natural or homemade products on my head but I feel like I'm getting desperate.:sad1: Someone please help!
    *B.C 3.18.10*

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file