After the Big Chop

bknataliebknatalie Posts: 1Registered Users
hey fellow curlies!

I just did the Big Chop in January of 2010 and while I'm so proud of myself, a little bit of anxiety is starting to set in. My chop was really really low -- I had only grown about 2 months without relaxing it-- and while I am seeing a little bit of growth, I really want to make sure that I am doing the right things to grow my hair longer and stronger.

My questions are:
1. Should I get braids to protect my hair?

and

2. It looks like I'm a mix between 4a and 4b and I'm a little at loss about how to moisturize. Should I wet my hair everyday? Only when I when I shampoo (weekly)? Oils or butters?

Bear with me, I'm new at this! Any help you can lend my way would be much appreciated.

peace & gratitude,
bknatalie

Comments

• maybejadeymaybejadey Posts: 198Registered Users
    Hey there, I BC'ed really really low as well (I "transitioned" for about 2 mos as well) and for the first year and a half pretty much did nothing but cowash daily and leave a little conditioner in. My hair grew like a weed. Personally, when I started protective styling, the increased manipulation started to break off and retard my growth. I saw my first splits after using the Denman brush. So the decision whether to start braiding or twisting should depend on how well your hair takes manipulation. If you're rocking a twa or puff and you aren't having lots of tangles, that may be enough for you (at least for now).

As for 2) wetting everyday depends on what you like. If it's summer, cowashing daily is more viable and it's certainly an easy way to up the moisture. If you choose to wash at a longer interval, then you'll need to have a more certain moisturizing regimen. As for oils or butters, I've heard folks argue that they are both sealants and not moisturizers and I'm inclined to agree. Try a leave-in or just leave a little of your normal conditioner (although watch the ingredients) in after you wash and then seal with oil if your hair likes it.

And I can definitely relate with the growth anxiety. Don't worry, barring other complicating factors, your hair will grow. It's just a matter of keeping it on your head. That may or may not involve frequent protective styling, but that's really up to your hair texture and pattern. =)
    Hair Type: A collection of incredibly dense, gravity-defying very defined coffee-stirrer diameter coils. I am currently exclusively wearing wash-and gos.

Products
    :Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner (low-poo), Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Grapeseed Oil, KCCC or Ecostyler Gel (stylers)

• arkanfinearkanfine Posts: 209Registered Users
    maybejadey wrote: »
    Hey there, I BC'ed really really low as well (I "transitioned" for about 2 mos as well) and for the first year and a half pretty much did nothing but cowash daily and leave a little conditioner in. My hair grew like a weed. Personally, when I started protective styling, the increased manipulation started to break off and retard my growth. I saw my first splits after using the Denman brush. So the decision whether to start braiding or twisting should depend on how well your hair takes manipulation. If you're rocking a twa or puff and you aren't having lots of tangles, that may be enough for you (at least for now).

As for 2) wetting everyday depends on what you like. If it's summer, cowashing daily is more viable and it's certainly an easy way to up the moisture. If you choose to wash at a longer interval, then you'll need to have a more certain moisturizing regimen. As for oils or butters, I've heard folks argue that they are both sealants and not moisturizers and I'm inclined to agree. Try a leave-in or just leave a little of your normal conditioner (although watch the ingredients) in after you wash and then seal with oil if your hair likes it.

And I can definitely relate with the growth anxiety. Don't worry, barring other complicating factors, your hair will grow. It's just a matter of keeping it on your head. That may or may not involve frequent protective styling, but that's really up to your hair texture and pattern. =)
    I simply love your hair, I have admired it on several post, but had to drop in to tell you that. :)
    Hair Type:3c/4a/4b
    LOIS:OS thick strands w/ thready texture
    Porosity:non-porous

my fotki: http://public.fotki.com/kutenkurly/

030-th.jpg
    I just BC'd two weeks ago. I know it seems weird, but I co-wash every day and noticed today (DC day) that my hair has grown a little.Natural 4b hair shrinks so much that you may not see the growth for some time. My sides are 4b and they don't show at all. I need to start taking pictures of hair when wet w/ conditioner so I can measure this. I will say this, some people have hair that grows really fast from jump and some people have growth when their body is wants too.
    I am copying my post from another thread for you.
    Congrats on your BC though!:occasion9:
    arkanfine wrote: »
    I am looking for ideas for what to do with my hair for a regimen. The one I have right now is as follows:

Co-wash:
    Giovanni Organics SAS
    DC: ORSOO REPLENISHING CONDITIONER, AOHR, AOWC
    Leave-In: KCNT
    Sealants: Shea Butter (my whipped recipe), Olive oIl, Coconut Oil
    Styling:
    IC Fantasia Olive Oil:evil3:

I am scared that the IC Fantasia will dry my hair out after a while due to all the post that I have read.

Here is a list of all the things in my cabinet:
    MJCP
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]
    Eco Styler w/ Oilive Oil
    Elasta QP Feels Like Silk
    Shea Butter

Maybe I am not applying these products right, but nothing else is working for me. I even have some samples of some Curls products.

Anyone else want to share their wash-n-go regimen?

BTW, I have extremely coarse, non-porous hair.
    IMG00105201003231449-vi.jpg

030-th.jpg
  • NyCurLiiNyCurLii Posts: 58Registered Users
    I did my BC about a week ago and although I feel free in a sense... I have a TWA and Im so anxious for it to start to grow.. (noticeably) I havent begun a regimen to get my curls going and I need help creating one. Can anyone help!?
    :homework:...Doing the homework on my hair but failing miserably!
    *B.C 3.18.10*

I'm slowly going crazy over the progress of my hair... I'm content with the length but the texture is not how i want it!
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    I bc'd in October and have been getting the most success from rocking a well-moisturized, regularly-trimmed wash and go. I have tons of shrinkage so for me, letting my fro go free is more protective than constantly manipulating my hair. My hair has grown about three inches in that time (I know this because I have touched up my roots (color) three times since the BC). Not to brag but to say that sometimes less is best, manipulation wise. Also, wearing it free is great for really getting to know one's hair and the textures living on one's head. And to quickly get a routine down pat because you have to ! I use my holy grail products weekdays (or workdays) and experiment with my product-junkie purchases on my downtime.My routine is becoming more and more simple as my product junkie ways ease up (too hard to get some of these trendy products, so I am calming down) I added a copy of a previous entry I posted in another thread here with answers about my routine.

I do a pre-poo treatment the night before I shampoo with oil (it can be coconut oil and avocado oil with a couple of essential oils to treat my scalp, or an ayurvedic mix I have been using - I alternate: it's for my scalp and to counteract the drying, tangling effects of shampoo - even sulfate-free shampoos get me but I insist on shampooing) I apply to scalp and hair, let it sit awhile to soak in, wrap my hair up and sleep.

In the morning (on wash days) I get my hair SOPPING wet with water and shampoo, making sure to manipulate my scalp gently but still getting it clean. I rinse, then apply a rinse out conditioner - as natural as possible (I use random organic ones I find at Ross Dress-for Less or Marshall's as many of the women here do, as long as the ingredients are right) with some oil added. I let the conditioner sit while showering to let it soak in with the steam and help detangle. I detangle SLOWLY, with my fingers and a shower comb ONLY when necessary. I hop out of the shower and put in a leave-in (this can be a bit of your rinse out that won't cause build-up or a spray mixture I use made of aloe vera juice, castor oil, water and rosemary essential oil), Kinky-Curly [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink] and shingle in the Kinky-Curly Curling Custard or another similar product (Uncle Funky's Daughter Curl Magic, or sometimes EcoStyler Gel depending on the weather). I seal with a bit of castor oil or olive oil for my ends and leave the house. It takes a couple of hours to dry, and right before it's dry if I feel crunchy I scrunch it out with some pomade (whatever's in my desk drawer - I like Jane Carter's Nourish and Shine).
    I massage my scalp with a bit of oil at night and rub the rest gently in my hair, wrap and sleep. I can get three to four days on this regimen before I shampoo again. I work out so I just can't go any longer than that between shampoos. I spritz with my homemade spritz on days 2 and three (releases bedhead and adds moisture) and go. As the days go by, the curls fatten up and shrink from a short bob into a tremendous 'fro. I gel in parts, add headbands and the like to change it up.
    Once a week I Deep Condition with yogurt, honey, avocado/coconut oil (and an egg if I need protein) for at least 30-60 minutes and then do the shampoo, etc. I have still done the pre-poo oiling the night before.

I only comb/brush GENTLY when necessary, and only on wet hair which has something on it to give me slip - otherwise, FRIZZ

This is really easy for me, and I just don't have the creativity or patience for twistouts and the like. I have a lot of shrinkage and for me, a fro IS a protective style since my hair is not touching my clothes and it's not touching me so I do not touch it. My hair is almost shoulder length stretched but shrinks a great deal. It is coarse but and dense but fine, so when I twist, cornrow, it's too scalpy-looking for me.

I hope this helps.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • ReynaCRReynaCR Posts: 405Registered Users
    sagehen wrote: »
    I bc'd in October and have been getting the most success from rocking a well-moisturized, regularly-trimmed wash and go. I have tons of shrinkage so for me, letting my fro go free is more protective than constantly manipulating my hair. My hair has grown about three inches in that time (I know this because I have touched up my roots (color) three times since the BC). Not to brag but to say that sometimes less is best, manipulation wise. Also, wearing it free is great for really getting to know one's hair and the textures living on one's head. And to quickly get a routine down pat because you have to ! I use my holy grail products weekdays (or workdays) and experiment with my product-junkie purchases on my downtime.My routine is becoming more and more simple as my product junkie ways ease up (too hard to get some of these trendy products, so I am calming down) I added a copy of a previous entry I posted in another thread here with answers about my routine.

I do a pre-poo treatment the night before I shampoo with oil (it can be coconut oil and avocado oil with a couple of essential oils to treat my scalp, or an ayurvedic mix I have been using - I alternate: it's for my scalp and to counteract the drying, tangling effects of shampoo - even sulfate-free shampoos get me but I insist on shampooing) I apply to scalp and hair, let it sit awhile to soak in, wrap my hair up and sleep.

In the morning (on wash days) I get my hair SOPPING wet with water and shampoo, making sure to manipulate my scalp gently but still getting it clean. I rinse, then apply a rinse out conditioner - as natural as possible (I use random organic ones I find at Ross Dress-for Less or Marshall's as many of the women here do, as long as the ingredients are right) with some oil added. I let the conditioner sit while showering to let it soak in with the steam and help detangle. I detangle SLOWLY, with my fingers and a shower comb ONLY when necessary. I hop out of the shower and put in a leave-in (this can be a bit of your rinse out that won't cause build-up or a spray mixture I use made of aloe vera juice, castor oil, water and rosemary essential oil), Kinky-Curly [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink] and shingle in the Kinky-Curly Curling Custard or another similar product (Uncle Funky's Daughter Curl Magic, or sometimes EcoStyler Gel depending on the weather). I seal with a bit of castor oil or olive oil for my ends and leave the house. It takes a couple of hours to dry, and right before it's dry if I feel crunchy I scrunch it out with some pomade (whatever's in my desk drawer - I like Jane Carter's Nourish and Shine).
    I massage my scalp with a bit of oil at night and rub the rest gently in my hair, wrap and sleep. I can get three to four days on this regimen before I shampoo again. I work out so I just can't go any longer than that between shampoos. I spritz with my homemade spritz on days 2 and three (releases bedhead and adds moisture) and go. As the days go by, the curls fatten up and shrink from a short bob into a tremendous 'fro. I gel in parts, add headbands and the like to change it up.
    Once a week I Deep Condition with yogurt, honey, avocado/coconut oil (and an egg if I need protein) for at least 30-60 minutes and then do the shampoo, etc. I have still done the pre-poo oiling the night before.

I only comb/brush GENTLY when necessary, and only on wet hair which has something on it to give me slip - otherwise, FRIZZ

This is really easy for me, and I just don't have the creativity or patience for twistouts and the like. I have a lot of shrinkage and for me, a fro IS a protective style since my hair is not touching my clothes and it's not touching me so I do not touch it. My hair is almost shoulder length stretched but shrinks a great deal. It is coarse but and dense but fine, so when I twist, cornrow, it's too scalpy-looking for me.

I hope this helps.

...That sure helped me! :toothy10:
    :queen: Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
  • dee-naturedee-nature Posts: 630Registered Users
    OK i did my BCd 8/23/09 and i felt the same way abt PS and my short hair, the reason was b/c i was inspired with sistas with long hair, not realizing tht long hair takes time to achieve, as a result i went through an emotional roller coaster abt my hair not knowing wht to do with it and being uncomfortable. any who, it's almost impossible 2 see growth when that's all your worried about, especial me since i never had my hair that short b4. ok so get to the point, if there was one thing i wish i did differently when my hair was in a twa its that I would have embraced my short look more,trust me, hair grows fast but you should focus on your hair regimen and learning what your hair loves! cowashing daily is excellent for TWAs it keeps the hair moist and remember, the little bit of hair u have now is gonna be your ends in the long run so its important to care 4 ur hair now so those ends are healthy and strong. PS is cool but all it does is protect your ends, growth come with or without PS. so focus on moister, moister, moister!!!! and try 2 love 4 ur hair now...after all, your hair will never be this short again why not enjoy it? save the PS for once ur hair grows to 3-6 inches, thats when its too short to be long, and too long 2 be short, u want a balance so u PS 2 get tht balance until ur hair grows longer. hope this helps.
    happy growing:toothy2:
    hair type: 4a VERY dense u39v2snfy.png

hair goal
    = WL Aug. 23, 2013

My hair LOVES oil
    :love5:
    2. "Being natural must be the new crack cus im hooked!!":afro:

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is
    perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”:wav:

www.fotki.com/dee-nature-619

dee-nature wrote: »
    OK i did my BCd 8/23/09 and i felt the same way abt PS and my short hair, the reason was b/c i was inspired with sistas with long hair, not realizing tht long hair takes time, so i went through an emotional roller coaster abt my hair. any who, it's almost impossible 2 see growth when that's all your worried about, especial me since i never had my hair that short b4. ok so get to the point, if there was one thing i wish i did, when my hair was in a twa its that I would have embraced my short look more,trust me, hair grows fast but you should focus on your hair regimen and learning what your hair loves! cowashing daily is excellent for TWAs it keeps the hair moist and remember, the little bit of hair u have now is gonna be your ends in the long run so its important to care 4 ur hair now. PS is cool but all it does in protect your ends growth come with or without PS. so focus on moister, moister, moister!!!! and try 2 love 4 ur hair now...after all, your hair will never be this short again why not enjoy it. save the PS once ur hair grows to 3-6 inches, hats when its too short to be long, and too long 2 be short, u want a balance so u PS 2 get tht balance. hope this helps.

You go girl! I truly enjoyed that piece of advice! I'm sure that getting up and styling longer hair can be a little bit of a task.. :duckie:

• dee-naturedee-nature Posts: 630Registered Users
    OK i did my BCd 8/23/09 and i felt the same way abt PS and my short hair, the reason was b/c i was inspired with sistas with long hair, not realizing tht long hair takes time to achieve, as a result i went through an emotional roller coaster abt my hair not knowing wht to do with it and being uncomfortable. any who, it's almost impossible 2 see growth when that's all your worried about, especial me since i never had my hair that short b4. ok so get to the point, if there was one thing i wish i did differently when my hair was in a twa its that I would have embraced my short look more,trust me, hair grows fast but you should focus on your hair regimen and learning what your hair loves! cowashing daily is excellent for TWAs it keeps the hair moist and remember, the little bit of hair u have now is gonna be your ends in the long run so its important to care 4 ur hair now so those ends are healthy and strong. PS is cool but all it does is protect your ends, growth come with or without PS. so focus on moister, moister, moister!!!! and try 2 love 4 ur hair now...after all, your hair will never be this short again why not enjoy it? save the PS for once ur hair grows to 3-6 inches, thats when its too short to be long, and too long 2 be short, u want a balance so u PS 2 get tht balance until ur hair grows longer. hope this helps.

You go girl! I truly enjoyed that piece of advice! I'm sure that getting up and styling longer hair can be a little bit of a task.. :duckie:
    thank you queen, i have came a long way, im waiting on my 1 year mark, i really miss my hair its just all i can do with my length is afro puffs and mini Mohawks cute but they get boring after a while.i need variety:headbang:
    hair type: 4a VERY dense u39v2snfy.png

hair goal
    = WL Aug. 23, 2013

My hair LOVES oil
    :love5:
    2. "Being natural must be the new crack cus im hooked!!":afro:

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is
    perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”:wav:

www.fotki.com/dee-nature-619

bknatalie wrote: »
    hey fellow curlies!

I just did the Big Chop in January of 2010 and while I'm so proud of myself, a little bit of anxiety is starting to set in. My chop was really really low -- I had only grown about 2 months without relaxing it-- and while I am seeing a little bit of growth, I really want to make sure that I am doing the right things to grow my hair longer and stronger.

My questions are:

and

2. It looks like I'm a mix between 4a and 4b and I'm a little at loss about how to moisturize. Should I wet my hair everyday? Only when I when I shampoo (weekly)? Oils or butters?

Bear with me, I'm new at this! Any help you can lend my way would be much appreciated.

peace & gratitude,
    bknatalie

Congrats Mami!
    I chopped March 13th 2010. I have been doing wash-n-go's everyday. Luckily it is getting warmer and wont matter much. I considered going to urbanbella or curltopia to have it shaped up a little. Just popped in to say Congrats!:salut:

030-th.jpg

thank you queen, i have came a long way, im waiting on my 1 year mark, i really miss my hair its just all i can do with my length is afro puffs and mini Mohawks cute but they get boring after a while.i need variety:headbang:

Ur welcome.. I just passed a year too.. (April 4) and I swear I had a bad week last week... I'm looking for variety too. But, it takes time. A watched pot doesn't cook lol!

• LaToyaLaToya Posts: 78Registered Users
    I BC'd on 3/6 so I'm still trying to figure out my products and regimen. I've been buyin sooo many products, but I recently joined a challenge that requires me to stick to one product line for 30 days (yikes!!)

I would say get the braids if you're at a loss for how to style your hair and you're getting frustrated. Sometimes it's good to take a break from your hair, plus you'll be so happy when you take them out and see how much your hair has grown.

and

I think I'm the same hair type and I do have a shea butter mix that I use, but I find that I also need a leave-in conditioner. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] is good. I like to use my shea butter mix first then add the leave-in. I know that's backward, but I don't like oil or greasy hair.

I usually do wet my hair everyday unless I use a product that is watery enough to soften my hair and take away the flatness.

Hope this helps.
  • EmpressAuNaturaleEmpressAuNaturale Posts: 12Registered Users
    Patience and practice... in getting to know your texture and what your hair loves... Personally, I feel that wearing braids or wigs robs you of that chance to get and know every phase of your hair growth. In the beginning, I battled hair dryness and brittleness... I also tried the Giovanni hair line with success, but it wasn't spectacular. Also, simple is best!!!!

I wash my hair with black soap (From Ghana).
    I wash my hair when it feels dirty... therefore, I ensure that I don't load my hair with products. I also do not "over-wash" my hair. It's not healthy for growth or maintenance.

I moisturize my hair with castor oil and shea butter immediately after washing.... or whenever I feel it needs a little something extra.

I normally refresh hair with glycerin and/or water.

I wrap every night with a satin cap.

Also ... I do not use brushes at all. I only use a "large-tooth" shower comb when my hair is wet. I will very seldom use a comb for a little added neatness, but only when my hair is damp. On a regular basis, I use my fingers to manipulate my hair.

*Disclaimer: All of my products are vegan-friendly and all natural... because of my personal preference, but you do not need to follow it for the same success. I now have kinky-coily hair...very soft and manageable....(used to be very hard, porous, and knotty)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file