We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Putting wet hair in braids to create curls/waves

Has anyone out there ever used braids on wet hair at night to create nice soft waves or curls in the morning? If so how did you prepare your hair (ie; condish wash, leave in, curl enhancer etc) then how did you braid it? Fat braids, skinny ones or varied sizes? I am quite curious as to how this would work . Hopefully someone out there has tried it at least once
I read an article the other day about doing your hair at night the same way you would if you were heading out for the day products and all then braid it. The woman in the article used 2 braids on either side of her head and her hair when wet was a little past shoulder length. When she got up in the morning she diffused the braids a bit then took them out and of course her hair was beautiful. A spritz of hair spray and she was off. Dang it!:confused4:
Anyway, if you guys have any advice for me PLEASE let me know. Thanks:flower:
Coarse--M. Porosity--Frizz Prone--3/3b hair. HATES: Glycerin , Mineral Oil,various proteins,silicones.

Wash: L'oreal Ever Pure for color treated hair
Condish : Terax Crema (simply the best)
Leave-In: KCKT
Prep: ? Looking for the HG
Curl Enhancer: Alterna Hemp Straightening Balm
Stylers: PM Foam
Love: ACV rinses and baking soda washes. :flower:

Comments

• xodevinxodevin Posts: 478Registered Users
    Well, I tried doing two tight braids before and I got weird fat crimps that looks ugly and I tried combing them out for a soft look, ugly and frizzy. I've tried french braid(s) which didn't do much too. However, a loose, damp braid at night preserved my natural curls for the morning. :) It doesn't change my curl pattern though.
    curly hair and proud (:
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    OCTOBER2009014-vi.jpg

This was a single-braid braid out on my hair. I just wet the hair, add a dab of conditioner and let it air dry. When hair is dry, fluff it out with your fingers at the roots only, and carefully separate the ends so it doesn't get too frizzy.

FEBRUARY2010007-vi.jpg

My bantu knot out here was done with three knots total (two up front and one in the back-- my hair is thin). Again I only used conditioner and a little shea butter. It came out looking a lot like a roller set.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuprnatural.wordpress.com%2F2010%2F02%2F12%2Fbantu-knot-out%2F" class="Popup
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • curls 2nvcurls 2nv Posts: 318Registered Users
    i usually wash my hair, put all my products in it, then braid them in about 6 to eight braids, and sleep on them. if i dont feel like washing, i just wet, detangle, and braid. the bigger the braids, the bigger the wave. also the more braids you have, usually the smaller the waves. to avoid frizzy undefined looking roots i usually stack my braids. like if i parted my hair in 4 quadrants, i wouldnt do one braid per quardrant because the roots wont have a wave and will look frizzy when i undo it (on me). i will divide that into a top and bottom braid for better root curl and definition
    CG Curly
    Why does the pj monster haunt me so?:twisted:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Growing my bf's hair from cbl to apl
  • lovemycurlzlovemycurlz Posts: 330Registered Users
    Wow, how sad. I was so hoping that it would work. The woman's hair in the article came out beautifully. It figures. By the way Xodevin,BekkaPoo, and Curls 2nv you each have fabulous hair. I am so jealous. (sigh)
    Coarse--M. Porosity--Frizz Prone--3/3b hair. HATES: Glycerin , Mineral Oil,various proteins,silicones.

Wash: L'oreal Ever Pure for color treated hair
    Condish : Terax Crema (simply the best)
    Leave-In: KCKT
    Prep: ? Looking for the HG
    Curl Enhancer: Alterna Hemp Straightening Balm
    Stylers: PM Foam
    Love: ACV rinses and baking soda washes. :flower:

• CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    I do it exclusively now...I don't have time for complicated routines. I just scrunch in my normal products and scrunch out some water and braid it in two braids behind my ears. When I wake up, take out braids and have crimpy hair! And it's easier to straighten than my normal curls.

You should try it one day when you have nothing to do, you might end up loving it! Or hating it, that's why you should do it when you have no one to see you =P
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
    lovemycurlz- Aw, thank you! And I agree with CurlyEyes, for you it may work and give you cool results. So give it a go on the weekend or some other non-busy time! :)
    curly hair and proud (:
    Oh, and I do think braids help give you that get up and go kind of hair. If I wear my damp, washed not long ago hair in a loose braid before bed, I wake up, take out the braid, sometimes fix up my part and go. So you never know. ;)
    curly hair and proud (:
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd suggest trying a flat twist out. It is like a 2 stranded french braid. IMHO the twist pattern helps avoid the weird crimpyness that can happen with braids. There are videos on youtube on how to do a flat twist out.
    I tried it last night with 3 twist outs. The more you do, the tighter the curls. I ended up with waves that had a fairly tight s pattern, but not super tight. They looked natural. They weren't really my thing for my hair, but I thought it would be awesome on someone else.
    Hope one of the sets mentioned in this thread works for you.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpedaheh.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • curls 2nvcurls 2nv Posts: 318Registered Users
    THANKYOU!! im sure you have great hair too:)
    CG Curly
    Why does the pj monster haunt me so?:twisted:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Growing my bf's hair from cbl to apl
  • mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 886Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Everyone tells us not too touch hair after putting products in, so if you're doing your braids on damp hair how do you avoid getting frizz, as your hands are in your hair?

xodevin wrote: »
    Oh, and I do think braids help give you that get up and go kind of hair. If I wear my damp, washed not long ago hair in a loose braid before bed, I wake up, take out the braid, sometimes fix up my part and go. So you never know. ;)
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
    can get weighed down with lots of oils
    Co-wash-trying giovanni wellness
    Rinse out: Garnier Body Boost, GVP
    Leave-in: none right now, maybe a touch of SM curling souffle
    Curl enhancer: AOMM and KCCC
    Gel: Kiss my face gel
    DT:Jessicurl
    Low Poo: abba pure and natural, Giovanni Wellness