CurlTalk

CURLS and Jane Carter at Target!

I was at Target earlier this morning, and the planogram team was setting up shelves with products from CURLS and Jane Carter!! They were in the "fancy pants" hair aisle, with the other salon items like Fekkai, Kerastase, Biolage, etc.

There was the Coconut Curlada conditioner, Cream Brulee, Creamy Curls Cleanser, Lavish Moisturizer, and Goddess Curl Gel. All were in 8 z bottles, around $10 (I think the gel was 7 and one of the LIs was 11). The Jane Carter stuff was the Nourish and Shine balm, Revitalizing LI, Wrap and Roll, Moisture shampoo, and Nutrient Conditioner. They were all ~$10 as well.

There was some stuff from Shea Moisture, too! I'm hoping this means we'll be seeing lots of other curly products soon... This is great for us lazies who only like to buy stuff on ground. :thumright:
2C-3Aish/mostly M/ii-iii, med-high porosity, normal elasticity, hip length
Protein sensitive, likes heavy moisture and oils, mostly CO with occasional CWC
Low Poo: SheaMoisture Moisture Retention
Washing Conditioner: Trader Joe's Refresh, Tresemme Nourishing Moisture, V05
Length Conditioners: GF Triple Nutrition, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Walgreen's BioInfusion Balm
Leave Ins: AO Honeysuckle Rose, raw shea, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, sometimes aloe gel or KCNT

Comments

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    I was surprised to see some Shea Moisture products there the other day, but I didn't see Curls or Jane Carter.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    Okay, so what part of the country do you guys live in? I'm just wondering if I should even go bother to check! And where did you see the Shea Moisture stuff? In the same hoity toity section?
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • smasters467smasters467 Posts: 527Registered Users
    I haven't actually been to Target yet, but I've been getting emails from Jane Carter about their products becoming available in Targets on March 28th. I think the last email I got said they'd be in 230 Target stores across the country.
    How's My Hair?
    Review: L'Oreal Evercreme Cleansing Conditioner
    Review: Yes To Carrots Nourishing Shampoo & Pampering Conditioner + 35% off at YTC.com

3a-b, fine & medium texture, medium-high porosity from years of damaging. I'm addicted to changing my hair color.
    Cleansing: No-Poo, Elucence MBS, YTC Poo,
    Conditioner: One Condition, JC Too Shea!, YTC Condish, Elucence MBC, Joico Daily, KCKT
    Styling: KCCC, LALPS, BRHG, Biotera Gel
    SMB Photography
    SheaMoisture was beside Welleda and across the aisle from Giovanni in the store I was in in northeast Atlanta.

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • KaijahKaijah Posts: 69Registered Users
    I'm in Nebraska. The Shea stuff was actually in the all-natural product aisle, with the Burt's Bees, Giovanni, Boots, One, and such.

I was kinda surprised to see all this stuff, it seems like my Target is usually the last one to get anything new in.
    Length Conditioners: GF Triple Nutrition, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Walgreen's BioInfusion Balm
    Leave Ins: AO Honeysuckle Rose, raw shea, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, sometimes aloe gel or KCNT
  • earlybirdiecurlsearlybirdiecurls Posts: 87Registered Users
    Oh my gosh! Well, only if I had a Target near me.. seriously, having NO big box stores (other than Wal-mart) kinda sucks.
    mod cg since feb. 18th, 2010 :toothy10:
    2b/2c, pretty porous and slightly elastic.
    garnier fructis s&s, hesmu, and biotera curl creme.

• tonsofcurlztonsofcurlz Posts: 323Registered Users
    Target.com, ladies. Just leave me some Goddess Glaze, please!

It looks like the there are limited Curls products and that they've been repackaged for sale at Target. Online, the images are reversed but the prices are good. JCS appears to be the same products at normal retail prices.

And there is free shipping with a $50 purchase!
    3b, fine texture, low to normal porosity
    Low Poos:
    MOP C Hydrating, JC HCC, Ion Swimmer's Poo
    Condish: GVP Balm, Kenra, Tigi Oatmeal/Honey, DE Coconut
    Leave-In: BWC, Abba Gentle, KBB Nectar, GFTN
    Stylers: CJ AF/CIAB, SS CEJ/FHG, QCCC, Komaza Puddings, EW SAJ or Alba Soft Curl w/KKSS, Kenra, Homemade FSG, AOMM, CK/QB HTSG

Save $5 off your first order at /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iherb.com" class="Popup. Use discount code: SOF540.
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    1. The prices are completely different than on her website. (Curls Products)
    2. Some of the names are different.

Which leads me to wonder.... Are the ingredients different?
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    I would LOVE to be able to get CURLS on ground. Maybe by the time my liter bottles run out it'll be in my Target.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• earlybirdiecurlsearlybirdiecurls Posts: 87Registered Users
    Oh, apparently Miss Jessie's is going to hit the Target (haha, punny) later this month. Geez, why don't any products ever go to Wal-mart!?
    mod cg since feb. 18th, 2010 :toothy10:
    2b/2c, pretty porous and slightly elastic.
    garnier fructis s&s, hesmu, and biotera curl creme.

• SheBrosSheBros Posts: 332Registered Users
    I've got 3 Targets pretty close by that I'll do some checking at this Friday. I'm not familiar with these lines (haven't tried them YET) but have seen many posts on here about them. So, just might be a good time to give a couple a try. I'll post if they are available at my Targets.
    3B Fine (lots of it), Normal to High Porosity
    Low Poo: Elucence Moisture Poo, Renpure Organics
    Co-Wash: Tresseme Naturals, Giovanni TT
    Rinse Out: Biologe Cond Balm, SS Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment
    Leave-In: Oyin Hair Dew, CJ Beautiful Curls,
    Stylers: SS Curl Enhancing Jelly, SS Firm Holding Styling Gel, Jessicurl RR and CC, BRHG, Biolage Gelee
    Extras: ACV rinses every couple of months
  • HoneysmokeHoneysmoke Posts: 60Registered Users
    I bet the Miss Jessie's will be the 2-ounce size -- 8 ounces at the most. That's the only way I think they can keep the cost at a decent price point. I'm not interested in purchasing Miss Jessie's, but I'll definitely check out JCS and Curls. Yay for Target! I'm not a big fan of Wal-Mart.

Honeysmoke
    www.honeysmoke.com
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    goobernut wrote: »

I would say YES Goober....with this kind of mass marketing you have to wonder how they can afford to do this without it affecting their bottom line. The ingredients have to be watered down or replaced with more "economical" ones...

I'll stick to Curl Junkie Thank you very much!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • smasters467smasters467 Posts: 527Registered Users
    I noticed on the bottles for the Curls products that are available at Target that it says sulfate, silicone, and paraben free. At the very least this means the products are still CG.
    How's My Hair?
    Review: L'Oreal Evercreme Cleansing Conditioner
    Review: Yes To Carrots Nourishing Shampoo & Pampering Conditioner + 35% off at YTC.com

3a-b, fine & medium texture, medium-high porosity from years of damaging. I'm addicted to changing my hair color.
    Cleansing: No-Poo, Elucence MBS, YTC Poo,
    Conditioner: One Condition, JC Too Shea!, YTC Condish, Elucence MBC, Joico Daily, KCKT
    Styling: KCCC, LALPS, BRHG, Biotera Gel
    SMB Photography
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    I noticed on the bottles for the Curls products that are available at Target that it says sulfate, silicone, and paraben free. At the very least this means the products are still CG.

Agreed.

Also there are economies of scale when you go into somewhere like Target. I know someone who works high up at corporate Target. If you are producing on a scale large enough to be in Target (with thousands of stores) then you can buy ingredients cheaper due to size. It is possible the formula is reformulated but I don't think it could be said positively absent proof positive. Also remember that Target runs small profit margin's on many things--they make their money by volume on something like this--not individually per product. It is unlikely that the margins are small on the Curls website--it is possible, for example, that Curls sold the product to Target for $8.50 and Target is charging $8.99 for it. She would have had to go lower in cost to get into Target since the line is not well known.

It's also possible that she shifted from organic ingredients to inorganic for Target..I don't remember seeing on the Target website that it was organic...not using organic ingredients cuts cost measurably..so it could be the same product but without the emphasis on organic ingredients. Also its possible that she replaced an exotic oil with a not so exotic one (although that would be reformulated--guess we'll have to have someone buy them and type out the ingredients!)

Just offering up another alternate explanation. Although I like some of her products o.k. the only one I regularly use is the Asian Tea Hair Conditioner which I love (which does not look like one that is available).
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fthewavytales.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    They aren't at my Target yet...I wanted to check ingredients :(
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• wookiemousewookiemouse Posts: 295Registered Users
    As if I needed another reason to go to Target.. :) That's awesome tho - I have one nearby, I hope they have the N&S, I'm almost out!

Stacy
    3a/some b, med/high porosity, med texture

My current HGs:
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut, VO5 Strawberries & Cream
    Conditioner: Deva OneC
    Leave-in: Shea M, Deva B'Leave In
    Cremes: CIAB, pink Boots
    Gels: BRHG

CG since 2/07 and loving it!

I directed this question to Mahisha in the Curls sponsored forum on NC.com. It seems she ignored my question, but answered the one after mine. I do hope she'll respond since there are so many of us who are curious about it.
    Low Poos:
    Stylers: CJ AF/CIAB, SS CEJ/FHG, QCCC, Komaza Puddings, EW SAJ or Alba Soft Curl w/KKSS, Kenra, Homemade FSG, AOMM, CK/QB HTSG

Save $5 off your first order at /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iherb.com" class="Popup. Use discount code: SOF540.
  • KaijahKaijah Posts: 69Registered Users
    Huh. I guess I just assumed that it was the mass market/bulk profit philosophy that Target functions on rather than the ingredients might be cheapened that caused the price drop. I didn't write anything down, and I don't know the product lines well enough to have noticed any label discrepancies if there were any, but they were all SLS/cone/paraben free.

I guess I figured the bottle repackaging was about the sales thing, as well. The 8 oz bottles they're being sold in are tall and relatively thin versus the wider type pictured in CurlMart, so more product would fit in a smaller amount of shelf space. Those smaller pop-top bottles are probably cheaper to produce than the curvier pump ones, as well.

I'll be sure to look again the next time I'm at Target, though, and spend time scribbling down ingredients!
  • NikG20NikG20 Posts: 461Registered Users

I directed this question to Mahisha in the Curls sponsored forum on NC.com. It seems she ignored my question, but answered the one after mine. I do hope she'll respond since there are so many of us who are curious about it.

Is it bad that this is almost driving me crazy? LOL:mrgreen: I noticed they skipped your question too. Hmmm, they are usually really nice and respond very quickly. I love their products so I'm definitely waiting on a response.

My friend lives in LA and she is supposed to go to Target tonight so I gave her a couple of product ingredients and asked her to check it out and see if they are the same. She printed the names and ingredients out so we shall see. Hopefully they have them at the Target she goes to.
    Hz5exYvWIb4
    Children's Natural Hair Care & Styling Blog:
    On-line, they all say they're sulfate- and paraben-free, but they don't mention silicones . . . .

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    More information on the Curls products at Target:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1299109&postcount=40
    Low Poos:

• nomilknoglutennomilknogluten Posts: 121Registered Users
    I sent a question email out to CURLS customer service. Here's a copy of my email and the response:

" Hi, I recently saw some 'curls' products available for purchase on Target website. Is this you, or some other brand? And if it is your products, could you send me a list of the ingredients? Thanks so much!"

"Yes, CURLS has launched a mass market product line, exclusively for Target….CURLS for Target. This is a sister line to our professional product line, CURLS. This line is for the budget conscious curly in search of wholesome products. The price points are lower, the packaging and formulations have also been changed. They are formulated with some organics….and still are paraben, silicone, sulfate, artificial color/fragrance, mineral and petrolatum free."

she then sent me an incredibly long list of all the stores they are available at. If anyone is interested in the full listing of target stores selling curls, pm me.
  • nomilknoglutennomilknogluten Posts: 121Registered Users
    oops, didn't see the post right above mine! I guess the list of stores is available in that link, my bad. :oops:
    It's far from all Target stores - probably no more than a quarter of those in the Atlanta area are listed.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • dominicanadominicana Posts: 239Registered Users
    I have 2 targets here and the closest one carrying the Curls line is 1 hour away. I have to pass like 8 targets to get to the one that has the Curls. Talk about curbing the PJism!

D
    Lady Valeria of the Isle of Neraida in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Central Florida Curly
    CG since May 5, 2009
    Hair Type: 3cCiii coarse\porous
    Conditioners: Bioinfusion HCB, CJCR, SpiralSolutions DDMT, BellaCurl MC, BellaCurl LE, KCKT, YesToCucumbers
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, FSG, KCCC, SpiralSolutions CEJ
    Sounds like I'm lucky that one of the ones here is on my way home from work!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    :-( The closest store to me of any of these is in Delaware... how unfair that it's the only store in the entire Mid-Atlantic?
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • wookiemousewookiemouse Posts: 295Registered Users
    NONE at all in Texas? Well, that bites. :(

Stacy
    3a/some b, med/high porosity, med texture

My current HGs:
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut, VO5 Strawberries & Cream
    Conditioner: Deva OneC
    Leave-in: Shea M, Deva B'Leave In
    Cremes: CIAB, pink Boots
    Gels: BRHG

CG since 2/07 and loving it!
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    :-( The closest store to me of any of these is in Delaware... how unfair that it's the only store in the entire Mid-Atlantic?

Are you back in the States??
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]