Sunscreen for my face

MegnificentMegnificent Registered Users Posts: 109
Hello all, I haven't posted in awhile, but here goes:

My skin is very, very pink and pale and my dad has skin cancer, so sunscreen is super important to me. Problem is, with weather becoming cold and dry and the fact that I switched to an acne-cleanser (stress makes me break out), my skin is now even more sensitive than usual. I was using Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer SPF 30. But now it is hurting my face! I think it was breaking me out too. The active ingredients are: Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 12%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 1.7%, Oxybenzone 3%. So for the last few days I have been just using a plain organic shea moisturizer. My skin loves it, but no sunscreen.

Any ideas?
2a-3a

Fotki: curlymeg

Nature's Gate Awapuhi Volumizing Conditioner
Graham Webb Making Waves gel
jojoba or coconut oil as a DT

Hair is pretty great now that it's colder, now I'm focusing on my skin. Sniffle.

Comments

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    If I was in your position, I'd go to a derma to be safe.
    3b-3c CG
  • SnarlsSnarls Registered Users Posts: 2,537
    Aveeno Positively Radiant products (without SPF, when those were still available, don't know if they still are) made my face burn. So it may not be the sunscreen ingredients that are irritating your skin.

There's a ton of info on sunscreens on makeupalley.com and specifically here. I think you have to become a member (it's free) to search the product reviews, but you can search for type of product = sunscreen and see which are the most popular. Most posters judge a sunscreen on whether or not it makes them break out, how it feels & looks on their skin, and how well it works with makeup. And of course how effective it is!

I just got my second bottle of Solbar Shield, which is SPF 40. Its sun filters are zinc oxide & titanium dioxide which usually do not irritate skin (but like anything, may cause breakouts for some people). I'm pretty happy with it. It's affordable, has relatively few and simple ingredients that I recognize, it's not drying. I do have to mix it with or put mineral makeup on over it. It doesn't leave a totally matte finish, but it's not oily either. But if you aren't allergic to the chemical sunfilters, you have a lot more options!

You may want to try Olay Complete, very positive reviews here for that.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • ariesxtremeariesxtreme Registered Users Posts: 123
    Personally, I wouldn't use a moisturizer with a built in sunscreen, you rarely get the spf that it says since the ingredients in the moisturizer deteriorates the effectiveness of the spf. Also if you skin likes the moisturizer you're using now use it and then add an actual sunscreen to your regime as the last step of your skincare.

If you want something from the drugstore I'd recommend Neutrogena spf 55 with helioplex. The other kinds in the Neutrogena line aren't photostable. Another one I'd recommend is Clarins, but you'd have to go to the dept store of Sephora for that and it's Clarins UV Plus SPF 40. I switch my ss around and am currently using LRP Anthelios XL Fluide Extreme SPF 50, Bioderma Max Fluid SPF 50 and I have a Shiseido SPF 55 all of which are mostly physical sunscreens.
  • MegnificentMegnificent Registered Users Posts: 109
    Thanks for all the advice. I have another question, though. Don't physical sunscreens make your face look unnaturally white,? I had Neutrogena Sensitive Skin SPF 30, and I used it on my body, and it left white streaks all over. I definitely don't want this to happen to my face.
    2a-3a

Fotki: curlymeg

Nature's Gate Awapuhi Volumizing Conditioner
    Graham Webb Making Waves gel
    jojoba or coconut oil as a DT

Hair is pretty great now that it's colder, now I'm focusing on my skin. Sniffle.
    Meg,

Not necessarily, there are physical ss that don't leave a white caste. The ones I use are quite watery and don't do that. My Clarins eye ss does leave a white caste so I need to work that into my skin a little more. But the Bioderma and the LRP don't since they're really liquidy.

If that's a concern you can always choose a chemical ss. I do believe the Neutrogena with helioplex is one. I need to look at the ingredients a little bit more closely to determine that, but this is thicker and heavier than the ss that I use. The Neutrogena is a little matter than the ones I use, while the Shiseido is quite matte to the finish. I actually prefer ss that aren't matte. I like a little glow to my skin even though I'm an oily
    T-zone.
  • SnarlsSnarls Registered Users Posts: 2,537
    ariesxtreme, why do you rotate your sunscreens? do you get more effective protection this way?

I have a vigorous rotation of hair products but was really hoping to keep the skin care simple ...usually it's simple by default, since so many products cause reactions for me.

With the higher-end screens, a container usually contains 1-2 oz. How long does that last you?

Thanks!
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
    I rotate them for no other reason than I have that many..lol. I just bought a few and just use whichever when I feel like it. Usually if I'm a little oiler I will use the one that's a bit more matte and so forth.

For the sunscreens that are about 2 ounces that'll probably last me a few months, I want to say about 4 months or so. I do put on a decent amount each day before I step out of the house.
  • AnotherSunnyDayAnotherSunnyDay Registered Users Posts: 94
    I like Hawaiian Tropics Faces for my face.. doesn't make my face sting and a lot of sunscreens do.

hope this helps
  • alisons79alisons79 Registered Users Posts: 680
    I got the book "Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me" and the advice that is given in the book is this:

For oily/combination skin, you should be using a sunscreen with Avobenzene. This is also known as Parasol 1789 (or whatever that number is!) Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide are the best ingredients to be using for the UVA/UVB protection but can clog the pores of someone with oily/combo skin. So sunscreens with the zinc and titanium should be for those with normal/dry skin. From what I understand, the Avobenzene also offers UVA/UVB protection as well. Also, the statement about using a moisturizer with a sunscreen is correct. Frequently, you will not actually be getting the SPF that is stated on the packaging. Your sunscreen should always be the LAST thing that you put on your face, before makeup. Putting a moisturizer on over the sunscreen can actually "dilute" it.

I highly reccommend this book! Very good and informative! And if you don't want to buy it, just go to the book store and do the research there for free. That's what I did until I decided that it would actually be worth it to be able to look at this book in my underwear in the privacy of my own home! :lol:
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    the problem with Parsol is that so many people have a skin sensitivity to it - Helioplex is much better in that respect.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    Helioplex I believe is a bit more photostable than Parsol. I know Neutrogena spf 55 now has it with helioplex.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file