Question for moms who breastfed

Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
How long did it take you start getting your period again?

The reason I ask is that I've been exclusively pumping for almost 5 months. My original goal was 4 months and my new goal is 6. I want to start trying for baby #2 after the new year, but I also would like to see if I can go 7 or 8 months pumping. My ultimate goal would be a year, and just go right from breastmilk to cows milk and skip formula altogether but we'll see.

I guess my question is do I have to stop pumping in order to start ovulating again? Or will I start again after a certain time no matter what?
If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.

Comments

• geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    It is really different for all women. I got my period back 3 months post partum, and I was nursing exclusively at that point. I know others who don't have a period the whole time they are breastfeeding.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    It is so different for everyone. I stopped exclusively pumping when X hit 9 months. I still don't have a period and he turned one last week. I'm starting to think I might be broken.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • internetchickinternetchick Registered Users Posts: 6,191
    For me it differed per kid. First kid 6 weeks, 2nd kid 6 months, 3rd kid 3 months.
  • M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    Jenny C wrote:
    How long did it take you start getting your period again?

The reason I ask is that I've been exclusively pumping for almost 5 months. My original goal was 4 months and my new goal is 6. I want to start trying for baby #2 after the new year, but I also would like to see if I can go 7 or 8 months pumping. My ultimate goal would be a year, and just go right from breastmilk to cows milk and skip formula altogether but we'll see.

I guess my question is do I have to stop pumping in order to start ovulating again? Or will I start again after a certain time no matter what?

Awesome goals!!! I am currently at 8.5 months post partum, baby hasn't had one drop of formula, and I still haven't gotten my period back. I pump three times a day, five days a week at work. In the beginning, I thought I was having major supply issues, but I wasn't. My supply has remained the same the whole time, and I have about a month's worth of froze BM in the deep freezer in our garage.

With baby #1, he also didn't get one drop of formula, went straight to whole cow's milk at around 11.5/12 months. My period returned when he was around 10.5 months old.

Setting small goals for yourself is great. My plan was to make it to a year of breastfeeding. While pumping gets tiresome, I keep telling myself that I have made it 8 months!!! I can easily do another four. :)

GL!!!
    :rambo:
  • PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    Awesome goals!!! I am currently at 8.5 months post partum, baby hasn't had one drop of formula, and I still haven't gotten my period back. I pump three times a day, five days a week at work. In the beginning, I thought I was having major supply issues, but I wasn't. My supply has remained the same the whole time, and I have about a month's worth of froze BM in the deep freezer in our garage.

I'm so glad to hear that. I was thinking about you yesterday while perusing the breastfeeding aisle at Target (baby shower on Saturday - I was using her registry and creating a "Mommy's boobs/Baby's bottom" basket. You know: nursing stuff for Mommy and Boudreaux's Butt Cream and diapers for Baby. :D )
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • newcurlygrlnewcurlygrl Registered Users Posts: 129
    It's different for every woman, and every kid! For my ds, he quit nursing during the night around 6 months and I got my period when he was 9 months. (He quit nursing altogether at 15 months)

My dd, otoh, is STILL nursing during the night (she's 2) and I just got my period this past February.
    ~Melanie~ 2B/C depending on my hair's mood
    Trying to find a routine my hair likes!
    bg433020.jpg[
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    With my first, I got a period at 15 months postpartum (I pretty much had weaned at that point). With my second, I got pregnant at 15 months postpartum, right after my first period. I was nursing my daughter twice a day, for 5 minutes (nap and bedtime).

Good luck, Jenny. :)
    PartyHair wrote:
    M2LR & Co. wrote:

I'm so glad to hear that. I was thinking about you yesterday while perusing the breastfeeding aisle at Target (baby shower on Saturday - I was using her registry and creating a "Mommy's boobs/Baby's bottom" basket. You know: nursing stuff for Mommy and Boudreaux's Butt Cream and diapers for Baby. :D )

Aw, thanks. It's been a different road this time...with my son, I was only working three days a week, not five...my breastpump rules my life at this point.

BTW, what a cute idea for a shower gift!!!
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    Setting small goals for yourself is great. My plan was to make it to a year of breastfeeding. While pumping gets tiresome, I keep telling myself that I have made it 8 months!!! I can easily do another four. :)

GL!!!

This is how I feel too. When it had been two months, I was like wow that flew, I can easily go for three or four.

I recently cut back from pumping 6 times a day to 5 and I have so much more flexibilty now. Once we start solids at 6 months I figure I can cut back to 4 times a day. Even if that doesn't give me enough milk, I have enough in my freezer to supplement.

I feel like I've been freed up going from 6 pumps to 5, 4 will be like I've been released from jail :lol: I can definitely handle that.

I guess I'll see what happens in January. Jan 2nd Lucy will be 7 months and if I still don't have my period then I'll have to stop. I feel like that will have been a good run and I'll try not to feel guilty.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    I've been exclusively breastfeeding/pumping and I got my period 4 weeks after Chas was born. I just had my second...although it was really light... I guess we're all different. I was so hoping not to have a period the whole time I breastfed. Oh Well!!!

:D
  • deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    if you go to the le leche league forums, they have a whole section on breastfeeding and pregnancy
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
    deezee02 wrote:
    if you go to the le leche league forums, they have a whole section on breastfeeding and pregnancy

Their site is awesome.

Jenny, are you looking to stop breastfeeding just to get a period? I am curious.
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    deezee02 wrote:

Their site is awesome.

Jenny, are you looking to stop breastfeeding just to get a period? I am curious.

Yeah. If I don't get it by the new year I will stop so I can start ovulating again.
  • WavyWendyWavyWendy Registered Users Posts: 138
    I breastfed my daughter for just over a year & got my period about a month after that. Though, I know many women that went back to normal cycles, while breastfeeding - every one is different....

:)
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    not preggie, never been but so interesting!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    I got mine back at 4.5 months PP, and at the time I was exclusively nursing from the tap (no bottles) and through the night. I felt totally robbed!

The odd thing is that while I nursed, my periods were like clockwork at 29 days apart, and they weren't regular at all before. I've now had my first cycle since weaning and it was 43 days long.
  • marielle448marielle448 Registered Users Posts: 1,823
    Ian was 10 months old before I got my period back but it wasn't fertile until 3-4 months later (used light method from TCOYF and could tell it wasn't a fertile period until then). Basically when he started tasting solids my period started.

Ryan is still nursing exclusively although he did have his first tastes this week and I expect the same - period at 10 months (he'll be 10 months on the 3rd) and hopefully a bit of a break before it becomes fertile and I start charting again to extend the spacing between the next kiddos.
  • sundaysunday Registered Users Posts: 535
    Even after I weaned my son completely at 4 mo. I still didn't get my period for another month or so. My Dr. gave me something to get it started and its been normal since.
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,170 Curl Virtuoso
    My first son breastfed for 11 months, the second for 14. With both of them my period came back at 9 months.
    3b in South Australia.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I got my period back at about 9 months each time, even though I was exclusively breastfeeding (they got no tablefood or sippy cups or supplements til about a year old). However, even though I was menstruating again, I wasn't ever able to get pregnant again while breastfeeding. I had to fully wean to get pregnant.
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    I don't remember! I nursed/pumped until DD was about 6 months old, then just nursed at night (formula at daycare). I don't recall that it took me a long time to get things back on track, so it was probably a couple of months.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Registered Users Posts: 2,385
    I BF exclusively for 6 months, after that we started with foods and some formula (I had horrible luck with the pumping). I BF my daughter until she weaned herself at about 10 months old. It was 3 months or so after that before I got a period. I soooo didn't want it to come back :lol:
    ________
    Thai condo
    Bumping for DarkAngel.
  • BootieluvsButtBootieluvsButt Registered Users Posts: 46
    For those who exclusively pumped their breastmilk how did that go. Haw many times a day did you do it? How long would you do it for? How much milk would you pump and how long will that supply last. Also does pumping hurt and make your breast sag? Did you lose weight while breastfeeding?
    4a Transitioner. 80% natural
    "There is nothing to hard for the Lord."
    I love you baby, till we meet again.
    For those who exclusively pumped their breastmilk how did that go. Haw many times a day did you do it? How long would you do it for? How much milk would you pump and how long will that supply last. Also does pumping hurt and make your breast sag? Did you lose weight while breastfeeding?

It's extremely difficult to maintain a good milk supply over time if you're only pumping. It will taper off to nothing in just a few months. No matter how good a pump is, it's still never going to be as good as a breastfeeding baby at emptying a breast and demanding more. Breastfeeding is a supply/demand system, and works best if pumping is only used when breastfeeding isn't possible, like during the hours when mom is working. Breastfeeding and pumping do not make breasts sag. Pregnancy and time and gravity make breasts sag, along with genetic luck of the draw.

I pumped when I worked. I would pump about every 3 hours during my 8 hour shifts, but I'd feed the baby immediately at the breast upon returning home and throughout the rest of the evening/night. When combining breastfeeding and pumping, the supply can be kept up indefinitely, or til baby weans.
    RCW, that isn't accurate. I exclusively pumped for 9 months and could have gone longer. I know moms who have done it for over a year. It's hard and maybe we were just lucky but it is not true that the supply will taper off to nothing in just a few months.

Bootieluvsbutt, I answered you in your other thread.

JennyC, thanks for bumping. I actually responded in here when you initially posted.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    I'll ammend my statement to say "it usually tapers off to nothing in just a few months", because that's what it does for most women. There are exceptions, of which you are an example, but I don't think that is realistic for most women who are exclusively pumping.
    I'll ammend my statement to say "it usually tapers off to nothing in just a few months", because that's what it does for most women. There are exceptions, of which you are an example, but I don't think that is realistic for most women who are exclusively pumping.

I'm going on 5 1/2 months exclusivley pumping, and even though I recently cut down one pump a day I'm still getting plenty of milk. I don't see it drying up at all.

In the beginning I was making WAY too much, now I making much closer to the right amount, but that's because I reduced the number of times a day I pump and DD eats more per feeding, not because it's tapered off.

Maybe for people who don't over produce in the beginning are the ones that lose their supply?
    Jenny C wrote:

I'm going on 5 1/2 months exclusivley pumping, and even though I recently cut down one pump a day I'm still getting plenty of milk. I don't see it drying up at all.

In the beginning I was making WAY too much, now I making much closer to the right amount, but that's because I reduced the number of times a day I pump and DD eats more per feeding, not because it's tapered off.

Maybe for people who don't over produce in the beginning are the ones that lose their supply?

I would guess that overproduction helps a lot but it also seems to me that a lot of people who try to EP don't take the time to establish their supply properly.

• LipGlassHoneyLipGlassHoney Registered Users Posts: 230
    Well what the heck was wrong with me. I breastfed and got my period at 5 weeks post partum. I breastfed for a year and never missed a period.
    Black and Puerto Rican 3c Natural since '95 (15). Growing hair to waist. PJ and Certified MAC JUNKIE and a freakin' DEMOCRAT!!! Visit my other page @ www.myspace.com/LipGlassHoney
    Me @ 6 mos. looking just like my son

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file