Any suggestions on how to make demi-permanent color fade quicker?

Rona V.Rona V. Registered Users Posts: 79
I didn't listen to my gut and now I'm paying for it. I need help.

My hair is naturally a light-medium brown that has some red tints and a lot of gold tones. I decided once before to play up the red tones in my hair and have some golden red lowlights foiled in. It looked awesome. It was subtle and complimented my natural color really well.

I recently decided to do this again. However, the salon now uses a different brand of hair color--one that I've had used on my head before that I didn't think looked really very natural. Additionally, there were no colors in their book that were the color I really wanted. But I let the salon owner talk me into one color that she swore she could make like I wanted and they did it anyway.

I'm so stupid. I really should have listened to my gut when I realized they've changed brands. They really did a great job of blending the color in, but it is NOT the color I wanted, at all. It came out more maroon/purple, rather than a nice brassy reddish gold. I KNEW this would happen based on prior experience and still somehow let myself get talked into it.

So my question is, how can I speed up the fading process without being any harsher to my hair? The dye is demi-permanent, and my hair tends to not hold a color well, anyway. I know it will fade out in time, I'd just love to help it along. And in the future, I'll listen to my gut about coloring.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Scribe Rona, Bibliophile of the Auburn Spirals and Pilgrim to the Western Wastelands, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2c/3a, M/C, iii, low porosity, absolutely no elasticity

Co-wash: SN Coconut or Apple
Co: GFSS, GVP CB, GTTTT
Leave-in: SN Coconut or GFTN
Stylers: KCCC, L'Oreal Melting Gel, HESMU
Cleanse: Burt's Bees Shampoo Bar (1x week)

My hair loves the Icequeen Method and overnight plopping.

CG since 02/03/10!

Comments

• Fanfarlo148Fanfarlo148 Registered Users Posts: 151
    I'm not CG, but here are some CG-friendly options:

-Try using your regular shampoo more often, maybe once a day instead of once a week.

-Hot oil treatments can also strip the color, and you can just use whatever cooking oil you have laying around the house, since you're just trying to get the color out. Hot oil can weigh down hair though, so I wouldn't use it with your hair type unless you absolutely have to.

-Wait for the 2 or 3 months it'll take for it to wash out. I know it's a pain, but sooner or later the color will wash out.

This is going to sound horrible, since you're CG, but the best thing I've found to fade demi- and semi-perms is Head & Shoulders shampoo. It takes it out really quickly; I got all the color out within a week once, shampooing three times a day. (I deep-conditioned/used protein treatments every couple of days to prevent dryness) Clarifying shampoo does about the same thing, and Suave makes a really cheap one that works about the same as the H&S for fading the dye.

Or, since you said that it ended up purple, you could go to the nearest beauty supply store and get some demi- or semi-perm in a shade of yellow. It sounds weird, I know, but yellow and purple mixed together will give you a shade of brown. I can't say what shade that will be (since I haven't seen your hair/what shades of yellow are available), but anything is better than maroon, right?

You could also get a demi-perm in a darker color, such as dark golden brown, put that over the purple/maroon parts, and cover one demi-perm with another. They'll wash out at roughly the same rate, hiding the purple/maroon underneath.

Hope this helps! ^_^
  • Rona V.Rona V. Registered Users Posts: 79
    Thanks, Bondi! My husband actually uses Head & Shoulders, so we have it in the house. I'm going to cross-post this on the General Hair boards to see if anyone has any CG-friendly solutions, but if not, then I'm more than willing to try one of yours that doesn't involve more coloring (I think I'm getting too faint-hearted for coloring anymore). The color really isn't all that bad, I just don't want maroon hair. :sad:
    Scribe Rona, Bibliophile of the Auburn Spirals and Pilgrim to the Western Wastelands, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2c/3a, M/C, iii, low porosity, absolutely no elasticity

Co-wash: SN Coconut or Apple
    Co: GFSS, GVP CB, GTTTT
    Leave-in: SN Coconut or GFTN
    Stylers: KCCC, L'Oreal Melting Gel, HESMU
    Cleanse: Burt's Bees Shampoo Bar (1x week)

My hair loves the Icequeen Method and overnight plopping.

CG since 02/03/10!

• jada1111jada1111 Registered Users Posts: 829
    Clairol has a product called Metalex that is used for this purpose. It's old school, but it works. Should be able to find it at most beauty supply stores.
    Jada1111

HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
    PW: flower
  • happycurls24happycurls24 Registered Users Posts: 263
    Bondi146 wrote: »
    I'm not CG, but here are some CG-friendly options:

-Try using your regular shampoo more often, maybe once a day instead of once a week.

-Hot oil treatments can also strip the color, and you can just use whatever cooking oil you have laying around the house, since you're just trying to get the color out. Hot oil can weigh down hair though, so I wouldn't use it with your hair type unless you absolutely have to.

-Wait for the 2 or 3 months it'll take for it to wash out. I know it's a pain, but sooner or later the color will wash out.

This is going to sound horrible, since you're CG, but the best thing I've found to fade demi- and semi-perms is Head & Shoulders shampoo.

I completely agree. I used Head and Shoulders when I accidentally dyed my hair black.
    Now it is dark brown, which though still too dark is much more natural looking and looks decent.
    Hair Type: 3b /3a?.... medium texture, normal porosity:afro:

Conditioner:
    Aussie Moist

Shampoo: Organix Shampoo

Other products: Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam Mousse, LA looks Sport gel, & whatever is cheapest for a frizz serum.

:blob:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file