Anyone tried / considering WO?

Hello,

Just wondered if anyone had tried or was considering trying water only. Some o the ladies on long hair community have given it a go with great results, some have even noticed an increase in curl (from roots to tip!)

I hate the idea of a transition period though so thinking i might start mixing in WO washes with CO washes and see if i can make any gradual moves towards WO!
fine 3b curls and spirals - first goal BSL!!

HG's - Body Shop Honey shampoo & conditioner and Shea Moisture leave-in condish which gives me lovely frizz-free bouncy curls. My PJ is calling me to experiment with gels again... argh!

Comments

• KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    DO you mean doing a water rinse instead of a co-wah and then conditioning, or not using anything at all other than water? If you mean the first one, a lot of people do that already. I do a water rinse and conditioner on days that I don't wash my hair.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • GrecianCurlsGrecianCurls Registered Users Posts: 256
    I mean completely cutting out all products.. including conditioner so the only thing you use on your hair is water!

HG's - Body Shop Honey shampoo & conditioner and Shea Moisture leave-in condish which gives me lovely frizz-free bouncy curls. My PJ is calling me to experiment with gels again... argh!
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    That sounds drying! I wouldn't dare take away conditioner from my hair.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • GrecianCurlsGrecianCurls Registered Users Posts: 256
    i know what you mean... i just imagine greasy roots and dry ends but apparently during the transition period your natural oils reach the ends of your hair and it ends up perfectly moisturised and then your scalp naturally controls oil production. All sounds great if i could just crawl under a rock for a few months while my hair adjusts!

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    I would miss all my great smelling conditioners (coconut, kiwi lime, island fantasy)!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • teela1978teela1978 Registered Users Posts: 278
    I've heard it can work wonders, but the transitioning greasy scalp scares me a bit. Some WO folks use oils (coconut, jojoba, evoo, sweet almond etc) to help moisturize the ends, so if you try it out you might want to think about making sure you have a bottle of something on hand.

Wouldn't help much with the roots though.
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    I mean completely cutting out all products.. including conditioner so the only thing you use on your hair is water!
    I read an article on a girl who did that. Her hair ended up looking beautiful and long as ever, better than when she was shampooing of course. I don't think it would be necesarily drying, just not moisturizing. It's au naturale! :D I wish I could do this. Maybe I will some day. I think CG is more fun.
    3b-3c CG
  • medusahairmedusahair Registered Users Posts: 3,515
    Now what is the point of having just WO if the people are going to add oils in. They might as well use conditioner.

I read on the long hair community board where this was working for some. I think for curlies if they had a good amount of sebum going on and not too greasy it might do well but we don't live in a perfect world without anything in the air to leave nasties on our hair so dunno if I totally trust it.

I can just imagine the transition time without any gel or creme though
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • mitabirdmitabird Registered Users Posts: 226 Curl Connoisseur
    I couldn't imagine how difficult it would be to detangle with WO. Heck, sometimes my hair is hard to detangle coated with conditioner!
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • one way streetone way street Registered Users Posts: 772
    I would miss all my great smelling conditioners (coconut, kiwi lime, island fantasy)!

Me too!
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
  • curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Registered Users Posts: 264
    yeah...i can not imagine the way my hair would look and feel without anything. And I'm too attached to my yummy smelling conditioners! The very thought of WO scares me.
    3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    mitabird wrote:
    I couldn't imagine how difficult it would be to detangle with WO.

My thoughts exactly. :shock:
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • SmallFrySmallFry Registered Users Posts: 614

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Ok this concept was not created for my hair! My hair NEEDS styling products, if I don't wear a styling product then my hair is literally a fluffly undefined ball of frizz. My hair also NEEDS conditioner, moisture etc. And I don't even want to think about detangling....

This concept might be good for someone who can go productless. Maybe better for straighties and some wavies.
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file