No-poo and relaxers - anyone do this?

amaraliceamaralice Posts: 302Registered Users
My cousin relaxes (or presses straight) her hair but is seeing some baldness in her crown. Her daughter asked me for recommendations.

I've been CG w/ no poo for 2 years, so I'm not exactly sure what will work for her. My thinning spots were really caused by too much manipulation and dry hair back when I used shampoo. When I stopped shampooing the added moisture in my hair kept it from breaking at the root (shaft was more pliable).

Can you relax your hair (she's 4a at least) and no-poo? Or straight press your hair and no-poo? Does it make for healthier hair?
Lakshmi's Cupboard
http://LakshmsCupboard.com

If I use it, I sell it!

4A. Hair goal chin level while curly - achieved Oct 2010!
Next Goal: Shoulder length - Achieved Summer 2012!
New Goal: Bra Strap Level
Routine
DT: Amla Silk Deep Therapy Restorative Masque , rhassoul clay
Leave-in: Amla Lavender Chamomile Leave-In Hair Cream,, Amla and Honey Detangling Conditioner, Bhaasvataa Oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• curliefrocurliefro Posts: 45Registered Users
    I think the combination of the two processes are damaging your cousin's hair. Ideally no pooing or using a non SLS containing poo should make your hair more moisturized. Deep conditioning with a protien/moisturizing conditioner (I use Organic root stimulator olive oil replenishing or ion effective care treatment) is a must. How often does she chemically relax? Could she try stretching her relaxing frequency? Could she use styles that do not require that much straightening (i.e. braid outs/twists outs) to rest her hair? She can use (lightly) olive oil to aid with moisturizing and massage rosemary oil into the balding areas.
    Good Luck to her:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file