Tired of Keratin, I Miss My Curls!

Brittany2011Brittany2011 Posts: 31Registered Users
I've had the Coppola Keratin treatment for about a year now. I love it, straight hair is so easy to deal with. You can just get out of the shower, let it air dry or blow-dry, and it's straight. But....I MISS MY CURLS! I'm up at college right now and so many girls have straight hair, so I feel like I just blend in. I miss my curls because they made me unique. I would always read posts about how people couldn't live without their curls. I always thought, "Yeah right! I can't wait to have the keratin treatment done!" But now that I've had straight hair with the keratin, I just want my curls back. I miss being able to swim in the ocean. Right now I can't because salt is apparently the enemy of the keratin straightener.

Is there anyone else out there who has had the Coppola Keratin treatment or similar straighteners that misses their curls?! :wink:
Use to be 3A/3B
Currently Coppola Keratin Treatment
Ready to transition back to my curls that I've missed! :toothy5:

Comments

• aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    I've had the Coppola Keratin treatment for about a year now. I love it, straight hair is so easy to deal with. You can just get out of the shower, let it air dry or blow-dry, and it's straight. But....I MISS MY CURLS! I'm up at college right now and so many girls have straight hair, so I feel like I just blend in. I miss my curls because they made me unique. I would always read posts about how people couldn't live without their curls. I always thought, "Yeah right! I can't wait to have the keratin treatment done!" But now that I've had straight hair with the keratin, I just want my curls back. I miss being able to swim in the ocean. Right now I can't because salt is apparently the enemy of the keratin straightener.

Is there anyone else out there who has had the Coppola Keratin treatment or similar straighteners that misses their curls?! :wink:

I'm in the same boat! I have been Japanese straightened though. I like the straight hair MOSTLY because it's predictable, and not frizzy at all. The weather doesn't ruin it. I run a flat iron through it and it stays that way. Amazing!

However, the breakage and shedding is killing me, and so I'm transitioning. I think the "grass is always greener" really applies to me at the moment. I would love to have my texture back, but the frizziness and how easily tempered it is (when natural) to the weather makes me sad! I think if I could, I'd get a defrizz treatment of some sort, but I'd never do this straightening again.

Mostly, I am missing having soft, healthy, long hair. Despite the frizz, I'm missing my texture too :sad11:
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• Brittany2011Brittany2011 Posts: 31Registered Users
    I know how you feel, I shed everywhere too! My hair is so straight that when I tried to get some side bangs, my stylist couldn't get any bend in them whatsoever so they kinda just lay there. I miss having some volume on my head! I guess it's a case of, "You always want what you can't have." :confused3:
    Use to be 3A/3B
  • anonymous_41494anonymous_41494 Posts: 11Registered Users

Well, I haven't had keratin, but I have had a relaxer. I first had it somewhere around February 2009, last year, and am still growing it out. My hair is shoulder-length and the new growth is just above my neck - there is still about 4cm left to grow out.
    There is no way im doing the BC - it's better having half-relaxed, half-straight hair then hardly any at all.
    I have EXACTLY the same problem as you - I miss my curls SO much! I have just realized that my curls are absaloutely lovely and the only reason why I hated them and got a relaxer in the first place was because I have no idea how to take care of it - but now I know!
    I am constantly measuring my hair to check how much relaxed hair is still there - when it all grows out, I will be so happy lol.
    While I have been transitioning, I have got so impatient - it's taken over a year! Patience is not one of my greatest qualities! And when I see my fellow classmates with bouncy coils, I think - I am so jealous. I actually am. I will just have to wait another 6 months or less, and hopefully, I'll get my gorgeous curls back.
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE :)

Well, I haven't had keratin, but I have had a relaxer. I first had it somewhere around February 2009, last year, and am still growing it out. My hair is shoulder-length and the new growth is just above my neck - there is still about 4cm left to grow out.
    There is no way im doing the BC - it's better having half-relaxed, half-straight hair then hardly any at all.
    I have EXACTLY the same problem as you - I miss my curls SO much! I have just realized that my curls are absaloutely lovely and the only reason why I hated them and got a relaxer in the first place was because I have no idea how to take care of it - but now I know!
    I am constantly measuring my hair to check how much relaxed hair is still there - when it all grows out, I will be so happy lol.
    While I have been transitioning, I have got so impatient - it's taken over a year! Patience is not one of my greatest qualities! And when I see my fellow classmates with bouncy coils, I think - I am so jealous. I actually am. I will just have to wait another 6 months or less, and hopefully, I'll get my gorgeous curls back.
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE :)

I'm not willing to BC either- the two textures for me aren't quite that noticeable yet- I only have two inches of NG (it's been almost five months lol) and I don't get curly until about mid ear anyway. It's more the frizz that bothers me that's growing in than the texture! That's something I'll go back to living with though.

I don't want to BC, but I've thought about going back to the very angled bob I had about a year ago. It would get most of the relaxed cut off with certain style, but I've been trying so hard to grow it out long that I think I'd regret it again when I just reached shoulder length this month lol. Ah well :tongue3:

What is BC? Do the relaxer and japanese straightening you girls used grow out from the root? The keratin treatment I have kind of just fades with each time I wash my hair. Underneath I have a few ringlets fighting against the keratin. When I saw them I had a huge smile on my face! Their so cute and I miss them! Yes, I am dreading the frizz too...but the frizz is worth it to have the curls back!
    Use to be 3A/3B
    What is BC? Do the relaxer and japanese straightening you girls used grow out from the root? The keratin treatment I have kind of just fades with each time I wash my hair. Underneath I have a few ringlets fighting against the keratin. When I saw them I had a huge smile on my face! Their so cute and I miss them! Yes, I am dreading the frizz too...but the frizz is worth it to have the curls back!

BC = Big Chop, which is a term frequently used for those with relaxed hair that end up cutting it all off to go all natural. Japanese straightening permanently alters the hair that is already grown out of the scalp, but as your hair grows, it grows in its natural state so there can be quite a difference depending on your texture. Unfortunately it doesn't fade as some other treatments do.

I agree, the frizz will be worth it :)

• fleurdelisafleurdelisa Posts: 1Registered Users
    I'm in the same situation as Aislin-been japanese straightening for about 6 years-my last was about 8 months ago and I just can't decide what to do. I know I'm done with the Japanese straightening due to damage/breakage on my fine hair. It is basically long and all one length. So now my choices are: do I start doing BKT to allow my hair to transition out or do I go to Tiffany (I live very close to her) to get a haircut that will allow me to transition out naturally? (My hair when dried naturally is fairly wavy/curly-could not get a very strong Japanese straightener due to my fine hair.) Any opinions?
  • ReynaCRReynaCR Posts: 405Registered Users
    aislin wrote: »

BC = Big Chop, which is a term frequently used for those with relaxed hair that end up cutting it all off to go all natural. Japanese straightening permanently alters the hair that is already grown out of the scalp, but as your hair grows, it grows in its natural state so there can be quite a difference depending on your texture. Unfortunately it doesn't fade as some other treatments do.

Hey!

Do you mind sharing the name of that treatment?

Inquiring minds want to know ... :geek:
    :queen: Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
  • SherryLSherryL Posts: 82Registered Users
    Back in 2003 when I had my one & only Japanese Straightening treatment it too me a mere 2 months before I decided to chop a lot of it off. After another month went by, I went for the BC!

I didn't learn my lesson and had my first BKT done last April. It took well enough, but I still had to style straight. Styling time was just shorter. I ha my 2nd BKT 4 months later (the first still hadn't completely worn off) and then my 3rd BKT in late December 2009. It's December's BKT tat just won't leave. My hair is curlier overall, but the ends are remaining just straight/wavy and a very problematic. So, I'm at nearly 6 months waiting for this last BKT to completely wear off. And get this, I'm a triathlete, ultra sweaty all day long and I am in chlorinated water at last 3x per week. I also use products with sodium chloride and the BKT still will not budge.

I have hopes that maybe in another 2 months (so that would be 8 months out from the last BKT) it will be just about completely gone. I never imagined that it would stick around this long.
    3a, BSL, color treated/highlighted, fine strands (but lots of them), high porosity
    Routine: Modified CG, protein lover

:walk:
    I'm a curly-headed runner, triathlete and foodie! Sweat, chlorine, sun... my hair gets tortured by it daily. It somehow always manages to 'bounce' another day!
    aislin wrote: »

Hey!

Do you mind sharing the name of that treatment?

Inquiring minds want to know ... :geek:

I had the Keratin Coppola Treatment. Are you considering getting it done?

Meezer- I can't believe it has been 8 months and you still see the BKT! Geez, I thought it wasn't going to take long for my curls to fully come back. I'm at a hiatus right now. I want to have my curls back to be able to go into the ocean. But at the same time, I just get so many more compliments about my straight hair. I also seem to have more confidence because I'm not worrying about what my hair looks like. I just don't know! Please keep us updated on how long it takes the BKT to grow out!
    Use to be 3A/3B
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm a little bit confused. I had the Coppola Keratin Treatment about 1 month ago. I went from about a 2b to a 1c/2a (when I blow it dry or air-dry it).

But, I find that I can still get it to curl. On the days I want it straight, I just wash and condition and blow-dry or air-dry. On the days I want it curly, I wash, condition, add leave-in and gel, and diffuse. Either way is good, and there's no frizz.

Can't you still get yours to curl by adding different products?
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • SherryLSherryL Posts: 82Registered Users

Meezer- I can't believe it has been 8 months and you still see the BKT! Geez, I thought it wasn't going to take long for my curls to fully come back. I'm at a hiatus right now. I want to have my curls back to be able to go into the ocean. But at the same time, I just get so many more compliments about my straight hair. I also seem to have more confidence because I'm not worrying about what my hair looks like. I just don't know! Please keep us updated on how long it takes the BKT to grow out!

I'm actually at the end of 6 months (not 8) post-3rd BKT. After my last big race (about 2 weeks ago), I decided to go full-blown CG and see if that would help my curls to return a bit more. I'm happy to say that the CG routine seems to be working; however, my curl pattern is still not 100%.

Believe me, I cannot believe how long it has taken to wear off completely (especially b/c I have been so hard on it with sweating, swimming and using NaCl products). I think I may have suffered from the cumulative effect of BKT since I had three treatments done. Anyway, it was a nice alternative for a year, but I'm glad that it's slowly, but surely coming to an end. Honestly, working with my curls is much easier than working with BKT hair.
    3a, BSL, color treated/highlighted, fine strands (but lots of them), high porosity
    Routine: Modified CG, protein lover

:walk:
    I'm a curly-headed runner, triathlete and foodie! Sweat, chlorine, sun... my hair gets tortured by it daily. It somehow always manages to 'bounce' another day!
    @ anniemae: I can't get any curl what-so-ever, my hair is pretty much pin straight. I'm due for another treatment, so when my hair is wet it has wave to it and there are some curls growing in underneath. But even when I put gel in it, it stays straight.

@ Meezer: I had 3 keratin treatments done too and I think I have build up also. I'm dreading the long wait for my curls to come back! For me the coppola keratin was easy for me in the mornings because I could just brush my hair and leave. But with curly hair, even though the process of doing my hair takes longer, I would at least be able to go swimming at the beach and work-out more without having to worry about the keratin coming out!
    Use to be 3A/3B

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file