Are 4c kinks still forbidden in society or what???

DeeJayDeeJay Posts: 53Registered Users
Hi everyone,

This is DeeJay. So I'm brand new to this site and I'm just now getting the hang of the forums. One reason that I'm happy to be a part of it is because of the inspiration. But mostly, I'm LOST with my super kinky 4c hair.:-?

Mainly because I live in Alaska, where this new going natural thing is definitely new and wearing my kinky hair seems DISCOURAGED in my black community:-(. Every single dresser that I've been to has laughed at me, ridiculed me, hesitated, questioned ("why do you wanna do this, what's your friends' gonna say?"). And so-called "natural stylists"... psh, even they make excuses about why I shouldn't wear my 4c wash-n-go's. I feel like they want my money from braiding me so much and they just don't wanna admit that they can't handle my course hair.:angry7:

-I wanna wear my kinks out with no braids, etc.!-

Lastly, I know that I might have to become a product junkie. But I'm only in high school, scared that my mom's financially overwhelmed with "this natural thing" as she would put it. (My peeps are relaxed/perm'd.) But I still think there IS a possibility for my kinks and that there must be something wrong with my products, detangling, and daily care. People around me just miss my long relaxed hair.:angry5: (how frustrating!)

CALLING ALL 4c NATURALS, PLEASE tell me how to handle 4c hair! Because my family, some friends, and all hair stylists that I've tried think I'm CRAZY for even thinking about wearing my kinky wash-n-go's. (I get hesitant looks from EVERY natural stylist)! :banghead: What is it forbidden or something? I can't be the only one with this kinky hair. In my community, I'm in this alone because only I think that there's still hope to wear my beautiful hair.

Thank you all,
DeeJay:cry:
Last Relaxer- July 10th, 2009
Status- 2 years and a few months fully natural.
Hair description- coily
My Staple- Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition condish (trying to change it), and only the shampoo of Organix. My next goal is past shoulder length and I'm on my way with dedication, and the support and help of NC.com:happy2:

Comments

• Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    I don't really know much about 4c hair or any other type of hair. I don't even go too much into hair type. You really just need to find out what's good for YOUR hair.

What I do want to say is that you might want to begin with learning how to wash and deep condition. I really like the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]kinky curly knot today[/buylink] conditioner. It's very good at making your hair combable and it gives it a lot of slip.

Another thing is making sure to deep condition your hair. I like to use all natural conditioners like coconut milk mixed with avocado or honey and coconut oil. But I've also had success with Elasta QP DPR 11. Curls by Sister's smith also make an EXCELLENT DC.

you can also plait out your hair or twist up your hair for a couple of days using shea butter and coconut oil or whatever mixture of oils you like to use then take out your twists to make a nice looking afro. I wear mine out for 1 or 2 sometimes 3 days. Sometimes the fro or the puff looks great by the 2nd or 3rd day.

Try to stay away from petroleums and mineral oils. Stick with natural butters like Shea Butter or Palm butter. Olive oil is a great sealer. Some ppl use it after they've applied shea butter to their hair. Keeps it moisturized.

Just because someone doesn't have the same hair type as you doesn't mean the same regimen won't work for you.

ANyway, good luck on your hair journey!
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Posts: 1,166Registered Users
    I think that the key to making the hair manageable is all about products and techniques.

Being a combination 4b/4a/3c, I never EVER let my hair dry loose. It is mandatory that I set my hair in braids and twists to style to keep my hair from shrinking into a dry, tangled mess.

For me, shampoo is the devil. It dries my hair out and makes it feel stripped so I stick to cleansing my hair with a cheap moisturizing conditioner. I stick to using natural products so I don't get buildup, which eliminates the need for frequent shampooing.

What works for me is:
    Cowash
    Deep conditon with a moisturizing conditioner and oil using a heat cap
    Detangle and put hair in sections
    Rinse lightly with cool water
    Apply leave-in
    Moisturize
    Braid/Twist and seal the ends with oil.

While I'm braiding/Twisting I'm keeping my hair detangle with my wide tooth comb and denman brush. I'm also keeping my ends smooth with a rat tail comb.

If planning for a braidout I apply a liberal amount of gel to each section before braiding. The next morning I apply pomade to each braid prior to removing.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have always been able to mimick my hair to appear like a cloud of cotton. I love it. It's thick and luscious.

I'm a fan of creams and pomades. I cowash to clean my hair in ponytail sections. I apply my moisturizer in sections. That way I don't have to deal with all of it out at thr same time.

Just find a good cleanser , leave in and moisturizer to start off with.
  • DeeJayDeeJay Posts: 53Registered Users
    Cali Chik wrote: »
    I don't really know much about 4c hair or any other type of hair. I don't even go too much into hair type. You really just need to find out what's good for YOUR hair.

What I do want to say is that you might want to begin with learning how to wash and deep condition. I really like the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]kinky curly knot today[/buylink] conditioner. It's very good at making your hair combable and it gives it a lot of slip.

Another thing is making sure to deep condition your hair. I like to use all natural conditioners like coconut milk mixed with avocado or honey and coconut oil. But I've also had success with Elasta QP DPR 11. Curls by Sister's smith also make an EXCELLENT DC.

you can also plait out your hair or twist up your hair for a couple of days using shea butter and coconut oil or whatever mixture of oils you like to use then take out your twists to make a nice looking afro. I wear mine out for 1 or 2 sometimes 3 days. Sometimes the fro or the puff looks great by the 2nd or 3rd day.

Try to stay away from petroleums and mineral oils. Stick with natural butters like Shea Butter or Palm butter. Olive oil is a great sealer. Some ppl use it after they've applied shea butter to their hair. Keeps it moisturized.

Just because someone doesn't have the same hair type as you doesn't mean the same regimen won't work for you.

ANyway, good luck on your hair journey!

(I hope this reply works lol)

But thank you! I just took a look at the kinky curly knot today and I'll have to talk my mom into ordering that. :thumbleft: Yes I agree w/ you about the regimens. I think I just get a little scared when everytime I detangle or wash, I see some hairs falling out lol but I will definitely try again, using more conditioning and less shampoo.
    I wonder, would my fro look good even if I don't plait or twist my hair the night before?
    Like, just a plain wash-n-go?
    Thanks again!
    Hair description- coily
    My Staple- Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition condish (trying to change it), and only the shampoo of Organix. My next goal is past shoulder length and I'm on my way with dedication, and the support and help of NC.com:happy2:
    I have always been able to mimick my hair to appear like a cloud of cotton. I love it. It's thick and luscious.

I'm a fan of creams and pomades. I cowash to clean my hair in ponytail sections. I apply my moisturizer in sections. That way I don't have to deal with all of it out at thr same time.

Just find a good cleanser , leave in and moisturizer to start off with.

"Like a cloud of cotton" hehe I love that look also. Does that mean that you don't define the curls? I'm confused about the popular defining curls thing going around in forums. So if my hair just refuses to curl but stays in its "clouds of cotton", is it still okay to wear out, you know like a fro? Because I love that look also (I don't know if my hair even wants to curl since it's been in braids for so long that I haven't seen it lately). I just wanna make sure because when I wanna wear my luscious "clouds of cotton," natural hair stylists here don't get the style and they want to braid it up all the time. But I'm happy to hear someone else likes that soft cottony look, also.

Thank you!
    Hair description- coily
    I think that the key to making the hair manageable is all about products and techniques.

Being a combination 4b/4a/3c, I never EVER let my hair dry loose. It is mandatory that I set my hair in braids and twists to style to keep my hair from shrinking into a dry, tangled mess.

For me, shampoo is the devil. It dries my hair out and makes it feel stripped so I stick to cleansing my hair with a cheap moisturizing conditioner. I stick to using natural products so I don't get buildup, which eliminates the need for frequent shampooing.

What works for me is:
    Cowash
    Deep conditon with a moisturizing conditioner and oil using a heat cap
    Detangle and put hair in sections
    Rinse lightly with cool water
    Apply leave-in
    Moisturize
    Braid/Twist and seal the ends with oil.

While I'm braiding/Twisting I'm keeping my hair detangle with my wide tooth comb and denman brush. I'm also keeping my ends smooth with a rat tail comb.

If planning for a braidout I apply a liberal amount of gel to each section before braiding. The next morning I apply pomade to each braid prior to removing.

Ah, so after a hair wash, you don't let it dry while it's out or else it causes shrinkage? Okay, I should definitely try platting it after a wash because I have LOTS of shrinkage, and my stylist cut the last bits of permed ends off so my hair is super short: so I can't deal with shrinkage right now, oh no! lol Don't wanna resemble a boy!

Unfortunately, I'd just scheduled an appointment to get yet more :sigh: cornrows :cwm21: because my high school senior photos are happening next week and no one knows how long my natural hair's grown since its last trim. So in case it's too short, braid extentions would help me look more feminine in the photos.

Unless.... do wash-n-go's look nice on super kinky hair? I heard they are harder to manage. =/

I'll have to take my old braids out tomorrow after school anyways so I'll try to post pictures of how my fro looks. I hope I don't look like a boy :c
    Hair description- coily
  • Booker Ts MamaBooker Ts Mama Posts: 670Registered Users
    You've gotten really great advice. As far as your senior portraits go, I would suggest you practicing on twist-outs or braid-outs before you take them. You may even be able to wear your hair in a puff which always looks really cute especially when you need a quick style in a short amount of time.

Investing in some Goody ouchless headbands, little fancy clips, cute earrings and other fancy headbands can also help you with looking "feminine". Just remember why you went natural in the first place and don't let others dictate how you should look. If you're happy with it, no one's opinion matters but yours.

As far as products go, you can find really good products at your local Wal-Mart and Target. Giovanni products are really good and they aren't expensive. If there's a Whole Foods near you, they also sell really great hair products such as Taliah Waajid. I really like her Protective Mist Bodifier (moisturizer/leave-in) and her Enhancing Herbal Conditioner (deep conditioner.) Both of these products cost around $7.99. Also, water is your best friend. You can use it to help revive your hair in the morning then apply your moisturizer. Good luck and keep us posted!!

DeeJay wrote: »
    Ah, so after a hair wash, you don't let it dry while it's out or else it causes shrinkage? Okay, I should definitely try platting it after a wash because I have LOTS of shrinkage, and my stylist cut the last bits of permed ends off so my hair is super short: so I can't deal with shrinkage right now, oh no! lol Don't wanna resemble a boy!

Unfortunately, I'd just scheduled an appointment to get yet more :sigh: cornrows :cwm21: because my high school senior photos are happening next week and no one knows how long my natural hair's grown since its last trim. So in case it's too short, braid extentions would help me look more feminine in the photos.

Unless.... do wash-n-go's look nice on super kinky hair? I heard they are harder to manage. =/

I'll have to take my old braids out tomorrow after school anyways so I'll try to post pictures of how my fro looks. I hope I don't look like a boy :c

I cut my hair down to about an inch when did the big chop and not once was I told I looked like a boy. The key to rocking the look is CONFIDENCE. Keep your head up, put on a little makeup, dress up, put on some large earrings and other accessories and get your swag on girl.

Oh yeah, they sell Kinky Curly at Whole Foods. I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives but I haven't found anything that I personally like better and I've tried quite a few. Some people like Infusium 23 and I think you can get it at Walmart but Sally Beauty Supply for sure. I think it's more of a liquid than a cream though.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

• maybejadeymaybejadey Posts: 198Registered Users
    I cut my hair down to about an inch when did the big chop and not once was I told I looked like a boy. The key to rocking the look is CONFIDENCE. Keep your head up, put on a little makeup, dress up, put on some large earrings and other accessories and get your swag on girl.

Just wanted to point out the bolded part. Short hair doesn't make you look like a boy. Short hair on females can be very attractive. And if you're still hesitant, definitely get some earrings. I think they were made for short and gravity-defying hair.
    Hair Type: A collection of incredibly dense, gravity-defying very defined coffee-stirrer diameter coils. I am currently exclusively wearing wash-and gos.

Products
    :Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner (low-poo), Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Grapeseed Oil, KCCC or Ecostyler Gel (stylers)

I just wanna thank you all for your advice. I will have to try out some of the products online as well as from local stores.

So far, I've tried Organic Root Stimulator products, and Cantu moisterizer. The ORS products are okay, tho I can't really tell what they've done for me, and then the Cantu moisturizer is pretty good! So, yeah, I can't wait to try a braid-out. I went to Claire's and bought cute earrings and hair accessories. :toothy1:

I guess that since my hairstylist probably went all out buying the synthetic hair (for my appointment 2moro) already, I guess it's too late to change my mind about wearing braid-outs for my photos (On March 27). It would've been exciting, but braid-extensions also look nice ^^. However, luckily I have 2moro during school to sport a braid-out before the appointment. (Yaaaay!)

In the future when I take my braids out again, I'll try that style most definitely! :happy4:
    Hair description- coily
  • NoodleNapsNoodleNaps Posts: 463Registered Users
    I just wanna thank you all for your advice. I will have to try out some of the products online as well as from local stores.

So far, I've tried Organic Root Stimulator products, and Cantu moisterizer. The ORS products are okay, tho I can't really tell what they've done for me, and then the Cantu moisturizer is pretty good! So, yeah, I can't wait to try a braid-out. I went to Claire's and bought cute earrings and hair accessories. :toothy1:

I guess that since my hairstylist probably went all out buying the synthetic hair (for my appointment 2moro) already, I guess it's too late to change my mind about wearing braid-outs for my photos (On March 27). It would've been exciting, but braid-extensions also look nice ^^. However, luckily I have 2moro during school to sport a braid-out before the appointment. (Yaaaay!)

In the future when I take my braids out again, I'll try that style most definitely! :happy4:

I have never tried Cantu (and not very keen to as I've heard people talk about build-up and I rarely shampoo), but I don't know how I feel about Organics Root Stimulator products. I've been natural for years but only found this site and changed my products last year. But for ages before this I used almost the entire ORS range. My hair still grew and everything, but it never looked and felt like it does now I've switched to mainly natural prods. My friend was going to use the Hair Mayonnaise to DC the other day, and I read the ingredients for possibly the first time and almost had a heart attack- lol

I don't know, maybe if you can, try out the more natural products recommended by the ladies above. Just a suggestion- not everybody's hair is the same so if ORS is working well for you though, keep doing it.

Good luck with the photos and I look forward to seeing the pics of your braidouts etc when you start rocking them
    Products in current rotation:

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far
  • ReynaCRReynaCR Posts: 405Registered Users
    Hi everyone,

This is DeeJay. So I'm brand new to this site and I'm just now getting the hang of the forums. One reason that I'm happy to be a part of it is because of the inspiration. But mostly, I'm LOST with my super kinky 4c hair.:-?

Mainly because I live in Alaska, where this new going natural thing is definitely new and wearing my kinky hair seems DISCOURAGED in my black community:-(. Every single dresser that I've been to has laughed at me, ridiculed me, hesitated, questioned ("why do you wanna do this, what's your friends' gonna say?"). And so-called "natural stylists"... psh, even they make excuses about why I shouldn't wear my 4c wash-n-go's. I feel like they want my money from braiding me so much and they just don't wanna admit that they can't handle my course hair.:angry7:

Lastly, I know that I might have to become a product junkie. But I'm only in high school, scared that my mom's financially overwhelmed with "this natural thing" as she would put it. (My peeps are relaxed/perm'd.) But I still think there IS a possibility for my kinks and that there must be something wrong with my products, detangling, and daily care. People around me just miss my long relaxed hair.:angry5: (how frustrating!)

CALLING ALL 4c NATURALS, PLEASE tell me how to handle 4c hair! Because my family, some friends, and all hair stylists that I've tried think I'm CRAZY for even thinking about wearing my kinky wash-n-go's. (I get hesitant looks from EVERY natural stylist)! :banghead: What is it forbidden or something? I can't be the only one with this kinky hair. In my community, I'm in this alone because only I think that there's still hope to wear my beautiful hair.

Thank you all,

Firstly, i'd like to say welcome and I sincerely hope that this site and the sistas here and the advice you receive will be beneficial to you in every which way.

Now, on to the next thought. Honey please! I have hair like you describe (I guess you would say 4b/4c, I could care less about hair types) and I just do my thing! Spent so much time living in a box, a shell, a cage. One day I had an epiphany, and I realized that as long as I am not being rude, improper, outlandish or disrespectful to anyone, then I'm gonna wear my hair however the heck I wanna because people/haters/spectators are gonna think whatever they wanna think regardless. Now the kids, teens, and even those at least twice my age wanna go natural!

Ciara says it best in this song:

"Some people might call you crazy
    and they may laugh at you and say you's a fool
    But you can't care what they say cuz'
    Before you know it, they'll be following you"

Be empowered! Lots of blessings!! :headbang:
    :queen: Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
    NoodleNaps wrote: »

I have never tried Cantu (and not very keen to as I've heard people talk about build-up and I rarely shampoo), but I don't know how I feel about Organics Root Stimulator products. I've been natural for years but only found this site and changed my products last year. But for ages before this I used almost the entire ORS range. My hair still grew and everything, but it never looked and felt like it does now I've switched to mainly natural prods. My friend was going to use the Hair Mayonnaise to DC the other day, and I read the ingredients for possibly the first time and almost had a heart attack- lol

I don't know, maybe if you can, try out the more natural products recommended by the ladies above. Just a suggestion- not everybody's hair is the same so if ORS is working well for you though, keep doing it.

Good luck with the photos and I look forward to seeing the pics of your braidouts etc when you start rocking them

Thank you! :) Yes, I feel the same with ORS; I don't really see any difference after I use it haha so I agree with you, I should definitely invest in more natural brands. I mean, Cantu for me is good, but it moistens for, like, only 2 days LOL

For some reason, the photos I took of my braid-out isn't working :dontknow: Hmm... I'm still trying since I really wanna show them hehe! Thanks and Take care!
    Hair description- coily
    Hi everyone,

Thank you all,

Firstly, i'd like to say welcome and I sincerely hope that this site and the sistas here and the advice you receive will be beneficial to you in every which way.

Now, on to the next thought. Honey please! I have hair like you describe (I guess you would say 4b/4c, I could care less about hair types) and I just do my thing! Spent so much time living in a box, a shell, a cage. One day I had an epiphany, and I realized that as long as I am not being rude, improper, outlandish or disrespectful to anyone, then I'm gonna wear my hair however the heck I wanna because people/haters/spectators are gonna think whatever they wanna think regardless. Now the kids, teens, and even those at least twice my age wanna go natural!

Yes that is so true! Just today, I wore my twa with a pink flower and silver earrings, and one classmate was like "What did you do with your hair!!!!" But I just shook him off 'cuz I'm tired of haters. Plus I know I looked good today ;D So true though. I'll keep Ciara's song in mind! Thank you God Bless!
    Hair description- coily
  • peachfuzzzpeachfuzzz Posts: 113Registered Users
    Hi everyone,

Thank you all,

Yes that is so true! Just today, I wore my twa with a pink flower and silver earrings, and one classmate was like "What did you do with your hair!!!!" But I just shook him off 'cuz I'm tired of haters. Plus I know I looked good today ;D So true though. I'll keep Ciara's song in mind! Thank you God Bless!

Hi and Welcome!

This site was very helpful when I started out. The threads about porosity and texture were by far the most helpful! Once I figured those things out, I could concentrate on the products that were better suited for my hair and my kids' hair. I don't think you have to invest lots of $$ when you figure out what works for you. SheaMoisture Moisturizing Leave-in is wonderful and can be used as a moisturizer, and you may be able to get it locally at a BSS (it's not expensive either). I'm still experimenting with my regi... I like to use Baking soda rinses instead of poos. I also co-wash a lot(v05 or suave naturals), which eliminates pricey poos!

Hopefully these are some less expensive alternatives for you to explore!
    Texture: Coarse?; Density: Med (?); Porosity(:confused3:?? Med-high); Wave pattern: 4B coils

Poo:
    Elucence MB
    Deep Condish: GVP Conditioning Balm Moisturizer: Qhemets Amla Olive HC:love5:
    Sealer: QB
    Aethiopika Hydrate & Twist (I use this as a styler too)
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Lock
    (rarely use)

event.png

event.png

peachfuzzz wrote: »

Hi and Welcome!

This site was very helpful when I started out. The threads about porosity and texture were by far the most helpful! Once I figured those things out, I could concentrate on the products that were better suited for my hair and my kids' hair. I don't think you have to invest lots of $$ when you figure out what works for you. SheaMoisture Moisturizing Leave-in is wonderful and can be used as a moisturizer, and you may be able to get it locally at a BSS (it's not expensive either). I'm still experimenting with my regi... I like to use Baking soda rinses instead of poos. I also co-wash a lot(v05 or suave naturals), which eliminates pricey poos!

Yes, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to spend a lot of $ in order to find products. :) I'll look out for SheaMoisture. Oh haha I've always wanted to try out Suave! Hmm, so is it called "Suave Naturals? And I've heard great feedback about Vo5. I agree, this site is by far one of the most helpful sites for my natural journey also! :afro:
    Hair description- coily
  • SosesmSosesm Posts: 45Registered Users
    peachfuzzz wrote: »

Hi and Welcome!

I have to co-sign this. before you go out and waste your money and endure heartache, I say take a step back.

When I first started my journey (4b/4c) I came to boards looking for help/advice/suggestions and people gave them to me with good intentions. Result is that I started buying things that ended up NOT working for me. People gave suggestions based on their hair and what worked for them.

I now, personally, don't recommend any particular brand because i realize what's good for the goose is not particularly good for the gander.

Do some research, use online resources. (kimmaytube..a youtuber gives good basic hair advice without pushing any particular product).

I've been natural for over 10yrs and basically in past 2yrs is when I tuned out all the noise and started gathering facts about my own hair & what I know it likes...+ some science..and I'm better now that I ever was.

Start simple- does ur hair like water? does it react well when it's wet wtih water? if yes,...then give it water...create a homemade hair spritz (some use a bit of glycerin).

Does ur hair react well with simple oil (evoo, coconut)? if yes...give a little and see how it goes.

From there, you can better formulate if these basic products are all u need...great. Do u need more protein? do an egg treatment or buy one protein rich product and use it...like it or not? move on.

Do you have problem retaining moisture? No need to go buy a product...try the "baggie method" or seal your ends.

Basic tips to save you $$$ and disappointment.
    it's your hair and you have to take time to learn what it likes and not just throw things at it with the "hopes" that it'll work because it worked for someone else.
    You made a valuable point. Although many suggested all kinds of great online products, (which I appreciate!), I have to keep in mind that I'm still a high school student living under my single guardian, who I know will not have confidence in my natural journey any longer if I keep bugging her to buy me all kinds of hair products. Haha, then, she'd look at my big collection of products and really develop the wrong interpretation about going natural! lol So I just bought Suave Naturals: shampoo and conditioner, and I've been using Organic Root Stimulator, and I'm about to borrow my brother's Cantu shampoo and conditioner after my braids come out. :) Also, I'm thinking about trying out Vo5 stuff; Vo5 and Suave Naturals were $1.00 each bottle :))))

You're right. Just startin' off with local things. Btw, where can I buy glycerin?
    Hair description- coily
  • SosesmSosesm Posts: 45Registered Users

You're right. Just startin' off with local things. Btw, where can I buy glycerin?

Any drugstore (walmart, cvs, rite aid...) go to the aisle with the wound care stuff I think. Where they have rubbing alcohol, bandaid...things like that.
    Ah, cool. I'd never thought. Welp, I'm off to Walgreens to check it out. Thanks alot!
    Hair description- coily
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte

RE: the bolded.. In my opinion yes they look great! However I've heard that wash and goes can cause tangles and knots which is why a lot of people choose braid/twist outs to keep the tangles away.

But hey if you wanna rock a glorious crown of fro-ness for your senior picture, add a flower, or put on some big earrings and immortalize your natural self on that day.

Congrats on being such a confident young woman.. you have a good head on your shoulders (with beautiful hair to boot). :compress:
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
    BekkaPoo wrote: »

RE: the bolded.. In my opinion yes they look great! However I've heard that wash and goes can cause tangles and knots which is why a lot of people choose braid/twist outs to keep the tangles away.

But hey if you wanna rock a glorious crown of fro-ness for your senior picture, add a flower, or put on some big earrings and immortalize your natural self on that day.

Congrats on being such a confident young woman.. you have a good head on your shoulders (with beautiful hair to boot). :compress:

Thank you so much! You know, maybe God was telling me something, because my Senior Photos that are scheduled for the 27th of March were cancelled, just after I got braids extensions.

Meanwhile, I moped around all this week, complaining to my Mom and friends that I don't wanna remember my Senior year with braids extentions, but rather just my 'fro with other things on it. :happy4:

Yeah, these extensions turned out to be a waste of $ afterall, since Senior pics was the only reason that I got them redone, otherwise, I would've never gotten them redone. (I hate wearing braids now).

At the next try for Senior pics, I'll just be true to myself and admit to my Mom that I would like to wear my hair out instead of in braids. :nike: Yes, I must be more confident : )
    Hair description- coily
    At the next try for Senior pics, I'll just be true to myself and admit to my Mom that I would like to wear my hair out instead of in braids. :nike: Yes, I must be more confident : )

You are a brave young woman DeeJay. I'm so proud of you no matter what you decide. Your attitude says a lot in and of itself!

during my transition I wore a couple of terrible sew-ins but when I big chopped I wore my natural hair and it was maybe 1 1/2 to 2" without shrinkage and boy was I nervous that first day back to work but I got compliments from the first people I ran into and after that I was OK.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG

• peachfuzzzpeachfuzzz Posts: 113Registered Users
    You made a valuable point. Although many suggested all kinds of great online products, (which I appreciate!), I have to keep in mind that I'm still a high school student living under my single guardian, who I know will not have confidence in my natural journey any longer if I keep bugging her to buy me all kinds of hair products. Haha, then, she'd look at my big collection of products and really develop the wrong interpretation about going natural! lol So I just bought Suave Naturals: shampoo and conditioner, and I've been using Organic Root Stimulator, and I'm about to borrow my brother's Cantu shampoo and conditioner after my braids come out. :) Also, I'm thinking about trying out Vo5 stuff; Vo5 and Suave Naturals were $1.00 each bottle :))))

Here's a great link if you are trying to do the CG thing:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=14702

Here's another great link for 4a-z: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=68885

Just remember, many shampoos strip your hair and make it dry because of sulfates! And READ, READ, READ!! Once you find out what your hair likes, you can keep it super simple and inexpensive! HTH;-)
    Texture: Coarse?; Density: Med (?); Porosity(:confused3:?? Med-high); Wave pattern: 4B coils

Poo:
    Elucence MB
    Deep Condish: GVP Conditioning Balm Moisturizer: Qhemets Amla Olive HC:love5:
    Sealer: QB
    Aethiopika Hydrate & Twist (I use this as a styler too)
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Lock
    (rarely use)

event.png

event.png

Thank you, Kinky Rhonnie! It is nerve recking, haha especially when people have been used to seeing me with long straight hair.

And @ Peachfuzzz, I appreciate the links. :p Although I like the ideas of the CG thing, I'm not sure about completely eliminating shampoos. I definitely limit the use to once a week followed by a conditioner, though.

Yup, to me, shampoo is very important as it sanitizes the scalp, it's just that I must find one that doesn't dry my hair. You're very right, and I'm definitely on a quest to develop a simple regimen! I'm not sure if my hair likes silicones or whatever, 'cuz my hair has been in braid extentions 90% of the time. 3 weeks from now is when I officially stop wearing braids for a while, though! Then when I try all the products that I bought, (w/ school lunch money that my mom gives me but I secretly save, LOL) I'll get to find out what my hair can take!

I can't wait!:occasion1:
    Hair description- coily
  • mamato2mamato2 Posts: 34Registered Users
    Hi DeeJay,
    I'm glad you found this site, you will learn alot from all the ladies here.

You might try looking up how to do twist-outs, braid-outs, or bantu knot-outs for some variety to your repertoire in addition to wearing your hair out in its natural cloudy glory.

My 4b/c daughter, who is now trying out braid extensions (BTW-thanks for the advice on that) says she misses the freedom of wearing her hair out in its natural state. In fact, prior to the extensions she would always ask me to wear her hair out naturally when she went to debate tournaments because she felt more confident and powerful in her uniqueness.

Some other really good sites to check out for help with transitioning and styling are:
    curlynikki.com, and cnappymenow.com, which is a site totally dedicated to 4c hair.

Good luck!

:angel11: How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday you will have been all of these.
    --George Washington Carver
    Thank you mamato2! Yes, I check those sites out all the time, and they're amazing :angel12: Just recently I saw women with hair like mine on curlynikki.com who wear their hair in soooo many different styles without being confined to any braids. And their hair is looong! (Haha I know length is not the most important thing, but I've always wanted long, natural hair) It's just so neat to me :love2:

Oh is your daughter involved in debate teams, too? My school's Debate and Model United Nations seasons are starting this coming fall of next school year! I'd like to hopefully wear a full head of natural, freely unbraided hair in either of my debate programs like she, too haha!

Yes I agree, natural hair gives me confidence since I stand out more in my town.
    Hair description- coily
  • BooBooCakesBooBooCakes Posts: 2Registered Users
    hello i am new to the site. last perm april 2009, 1 year 2 months free of the beastly perm.
    I am looking for a daily spray that I can either make or buy to spray on twists or braids, and also at night.

I currently wash with almond castle soap
    oyinhamdmade honey hemp love it(need to reorder)
    then i use the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Whipped-Pudding-p-353.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-whipped-pudding]whipped pudding[/buylink] by oyinhandmade as well for my twist and dry twist out.
    daily oil sheen spray( motions right now)
    I am not sure if I am putting enough moisture in my hair though.

Any suggestions as too what i can buy or make to moisturize? my hair is a 4b/4c.
  • dee-naturedee-nature Posts: 630Registered Users
    hello i am new to the site. last perm april 2009, 1 year 2 months free of the beastly perm.
    I am looking for a daily spray that I can either make or buy to spray on twists or braids, and also at night.

then i use the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Whipped-Pudding-p-353.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-whipped-pudding]whipped pudding[/buylink] by oyinhandmade as well for my twist and dry twist out.

Any suggestions as too what i can buy or make to moisturize? my hair is a 4b/4c.
    hey sis u may wanna make this a new thread to get more feedback. But i would say make ur own spritz, mine consist of water and peppermint oil. i like light products
    hair type: 4a VERY dense u39v2snfy.png

hair goal
    = WL Aug. 23, 2013

My hair LOVES oil
    :love5:
    2. "Being natural must be the new crack cus im hooked!!":afro:

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is
    perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”:wav:

www.fotki.com/dee-nature-619

• CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users

Oyin Juices and Berries was an excellent spritz for me whenever I would do kinky twists. I'd spray it on my scalp to keep it and my new growth moisturized and I had minimal buildup. It also soothed the itchies. I tried the other juices of Oyin but for some reason I found the J&B to be more moisturizing. Maybe I'm biased because I love the smell.lol
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file